WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

If you click on the link in my previous post, apparently not! But yes, sooner or later it'll start to rot. How long that is depends on a number of things, including the type of cheese. The good news is that it'll be eaten long before that happens. At most, you're only a week or so between resupplies, usually less. Any hard cheese will be fine for that amount of time.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Cheese in a ziploc gets slimy faster than cheese in butcher paper. Apparently it helps to have air circulate. (I don't usually worry about this, cheese gets eaten before it spoils!)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Cheese in a ziploc gets slimy faster than cheese in butcher paper. Apparently it helps to have air circulate. (I don't usually worry about this, cheese gets eaten before it spoils!)
    My thoughts exactly, try as I might the cheese is the first thing to go, have fun!
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

bring some bars of cheddar cheese. Its only the softer cheese that doesn't last at all. It will last a week easy and any hiker can consume the cheese in a week. Pack well inside pack if possible close to water or something cool.

It amazes me that a cheese thread can have 24 posts. Find a cheese you like. Put it in your pack. Go hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It amazes me that a cheese thread can have 24 posts. Find a cheese you like. Put it in your pack. Go hike.
    There it is.

Is Stilton a hard cheese? Any examples of hard cheese? On the "already moldy" side, I'm partial to Gorgonzola, especially on a filet.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Cheddars are hard enough to last. I also like Asiago, Parmesan, and Romano. Since they're "grating" cheeses, they're harder, and easier to shave into whatever's cooking.

Agree. Another thread covering the exact same topic will pop up again within a month. They should all be merged in one giant "How long will cheese last on the trail" thread! Bet there would be well over 100 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Agree. Another thread covering the exact same topic will pop up again within a month. They should all be merged in one giant "How long will cheese last on the trail" thread! Bet there would be well over 100 posts.
    I love cheese. I don't mind reading about it more than once. The same way I don't mind reading about what tent, bag, and shoes everyone prefers.

Here's a link to Packit Gourmet's blog about hiking with cheese. It pretty much sums up what everyone else has said. http://blog.packitgourmet.com/2008/1...th-cheese.html

Sometimes I just wipe the mold off instead of cutting it out.

On my last hike I took this cheese (a copy cat from Kroger), along with a firm goat cheese. YUM!

http://www.gourmet-food.com/gourmet-...se-102683.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Cheddars are hard enough to last. I also like Asiago, Parmesan, and Romano. Since they're "grating" cheeses, they're harder, and easier to shave into whatever's cooking.
    Smacks his head hard! Of course. Thanks.
    I just got a Babybel Mini Gouda. Perfect trail snack cheese.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

PS: Stilton is not the firm, dark yellow strong cheese I was thinking of that I used to get on flights to/from Europe. This will drive me crazy. Think I'll have some Wensleydale.

Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I just got a Babybel Mini Gouda. Perfect trail snack cheese.

Wayne

Oh, those things are great; should have mentioned them, too. Individual servings, ready to eat, and come wrapped in a free wax fire starter. My non-hiking wife introduced them to me.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    PS: Stilton is not the firm, dark yellow strong cheese I was thinking of that I used to get on flights to/from Europe. This will drive me crazy. Think I'll have some Wensleydale..
    "Ah, Gromit, I'm just crackers about cheese!"
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

LMAO! You heard the man! Right on Tipi.

Journal Entries

"Solutions are not always perfect. Panera is rejecting titanium dioxide, a whitener commonly used in products like ice cream and icings, from its mozzarella, yet cheese browns as it ages. “We don’t know how customers will react,” Ms. Burnett said."

Journal Entries

"Solutions are not always perfect. Panera is rejecting titanium dioxide, a whitener commonly used in products like ice cream and icings, from its mozzarella, yet cheese browns as it ages. “We don’t know how customers will react,” Ms. Burnett said."

I learned in our serve safe class,that once a cheese (or anything for that matter) has gotten moldy,you can't just"cut the mold off" and it be OK.If you can see the mold anywhere,the rest of the product is not safe...At least according to the Health Dept in the state of NC.

Quote Originally Posted by thecyclops View Post
    I learned in our serve safe class,that once a cheese (or anything for that matter) has gotten moldy,you can't just"cut the mold off" and it be OK.If you can see the mold anywhere,the rest of the product is not safe...At least according to the Health Dept in the state of NC.
    Those standards are geared for food servers, handlers and businesses serving food to the public. Public food service standards are higher than normal home food practices to protect the general public. In reality there is nothing wrong with bypassing a bit of mold on a block of cheese to eat the inner core.

Images

What I've always been told is that for hard and soft cheeses: Usually the black/blue/green molds can be trimmed off (remove at least 1/4" under the visible mold) and the cheese is safe to eat. Red/pink/orange molds tend to be toxic - chuck the whole thing, because the toxins can be in the unseen mold veins that run throughout the cheese.

Really soft stuff with mold like cream cheese also need to get tossed.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++