WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Your opinions on food bags

I'm an AT newbie, looking to finish up my equipment choices. I had thought about getting a zpacks food bag, but I'm also considering an "armored outdoor gear ratsack cache food storage bag" from REI. This bag weighs in at 6 oz. instead of 1.4 from zpacks, but it claims to be mice and rodent proof. I've read way too many stories about shelter mice on WB. Your thoughts on these food bags, or any others? Thanks to all

I just use a dry sack and hang it when in shelters.

I hang mine PCT method. As such, as light as possible and still functional for me. That ended up being a jimmyjam cuben fiber roll top bag.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I own and like the food blast by zpacks.

Images

With the Ratsack you are still going to need another bag to keep you food dry. Just a thought. I have the ZPacks, works fine for me, I try to stay away from shelters.

zPacks Blast hung with the PCT method is my preferred approach. I do usually carry an "odor proof" 12x20 opsak as well, mostly for my mental peace of mind on occasions where I kept my food with me at night rather than hang, usually only in cases where I can't find a suitable tree. I don't use shelters.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

i got a cuben one from Light heart gear. i like it, but do not see it on her sight?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

The zpacks bag is nice, but I put an OP sack inside (odor proof) and make sure all my food is in it. I hang with the PCT method, or hang inside shelters, and the only time I've lost food is the one night I couldn't fit all the food inside the OP sack.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

The cord from Zpacks, Dyeema slick line looks like it should work well, and their minibiner is less than 0.1 oz. I'm going to bring some mason's line so I'm not tempted to cut the slick line. Is 30 ft enough?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i got a cuben one from Light heart gear. i like it, but do not see it on her sight?
    I believe she has stopped working with cuben.

Journal Entries

If you have a food bag the mice will try to chew through it. They'll try to chew through anything whether there's food in there or not. Therefore leave all the pockets in your pack open unless you're willing to fix the holes mice, squirrels and chipmunks will make. Now that you should understand that the critters don't depend in their sense of smell what makes you think oderproof bag makes any difference.

The only real solutions is a rodent proof bag, there's one made by Ursack. You can hang your food bags, but I've seem every method defeated by the various critters you'll encounter.

Images

The Ratsack is like chain mail, quite abrasive to the inside of the pack. I found it to be too small and had to have an odorproof/waterproof liner also. I carry a cuben fiber bag if not using a bearcan.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I hang mine PCT method. As such, as light as possible and still functional for me. That ended up being a jimmyjam cuben fiber roll top bag.
    Second on the jimmyjam bag. Had it out on some shake-down hikes and getting ready to take it out for a walk on the AT. So far, so good with regard to being waterproof. As far as I know he is out hiking somewhere and not making anything right now though.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    The zpacks bag is nice, but I put an OP sack inside (odor proof) and make sure all my food is in it. I hang with the PCT method, or hang inside shelters, and the only time I've lost food is the one night I couldn't fit all the food inside the OP sack.
    I tried to use one of the larger opsacks inside my jimmyjam food sack but it seemed to fit very awkard. Any tips BC?
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Thanks for all of the input. I think I'm going to get the zpacks blast bag, maybe use an Opsack as a liner, like big cranky and several others of you have suggested. Happy hiking

I used the Zpacks foodbag/bear hanging system. Worked well for me. I'd recommend that setup for the AT. Just hang it appropriately & you should be good.

I've used the chain-mail system in the Grand Canyon last week. Works well in that location. I carried my food loose in my pack during the day. The chain-mail was carried in a trash bag to prevent abrasion w/ my pack. Only filled it up w/ my food at the end of the hiking day.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

I find the concept of an odor proof bag puzzling. I am certain it is a lack of understanding on my part. I grasp that odors inside are contained in the bag. But how does one keep odors from getting on the outside? It seems you would need to handle things with rubber gloves and be extremely careful while putting things in the bag. I trapped animals as a young man. I have an appreciation of the sense of smell these critters have. What am I missing? I doubt everyone that uses these things are wasting their time.

Since no one has responded yet, I will add a query. Wouldn't a roll top cuben fiber bag be as odor proof?
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 03-25-2015 at 22:43.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

I just bought an Ursack S29. It's bear proof and rodent proof. Two birds with one stone!

"I find the concept of an odor proof bag puzzling"
    BackpackingLight published an article a few years ago on these bags.
    The trial involved hiding some food inside University Students lockers (yes smelly environment...) some food was inside the odour free bags , other inside ziploc type bags.
    Didn't make any difference to the dogs, they found all bags apart from one (from memory...)
    Now , if they had used bears....

Thank you. I will look for the article.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++