WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If you dont want people to approach your dog, dont take it in public.
    People like dogs, dogs like people. Its what they do.
    This ought to be "entertaining".

I love dogs. I show love to them after I get permission. They are not my dogs.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries

I hate you're in that position (the catch 22). Maybe his behavior is temporary? Maybe he just needs more time to adjust? Thru-hiking can be s shock to the system...

Good luck man. Hope it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There are probably a number of things going on. First, you have removed the dog from his normal environment and is now in an unfamiliar one which is constantly changing. Different location, different people, new smells, sights and sounds. It all takes some getting used to. I understand the weather down there hasn't been very good either, being cold and wet much of the time. Then there are all the people. I bet at the end of the day your dog is very tired, cold, wet and hungry - which makes for a very irritable disposition.
    Overall, he seems genial, but you're probably right that he could be irritated. The trip is supposed to be about interacting with people, I do believe we're attempting to do that too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I seem to remember you had him carrying a pretty heavy pack. Loose the pack, cut down on the miles and keep away from the crowded shelters. He may eventually get used to the new life style, but some dogs just don't. Yours maybe one of them. If the dogs behavior continues like it is, no doubt people are going to start complaining about it behind your back, if they aren't already.
    Solid advice.

After participating in another thread prior to leaving, I cut his weight down, and if it means we can continue in the trail, and make it more manageable on his psyche, then I'll do it again if required.

We're currently on a zero in Franklin, so I'll readjust and empty his pack, see how that goes for us this week to the NOC and Fontana. Also purchased a foam mat that can take a beating, so tenting away from shelters is back on the table, which should also help.

Thanks again for the advice SG.

Images

Nice civil posts - hope to meet you and your dog if possible when you get to Western Mass.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    We're currently on a zero in Franklin, so I'll readjust and empty his pack, see how that goes for us this week to the NOC and Fontana. Also purchased a foam mat that can take a beating, so tenting away from shelters is back on the table, which should also help.

Thanks again for the advice SG.
    Hope he works through it bemental so you can continue on your journey. Best wishes.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    This ought to be "entertaining".

I love dogs. I show love to them after I get permission. They are not my dogs.
    not argueing right or wrong, but it is what it is.
    You can accept it and get over it, or dont take the dog.
    You wont wake up one day and find everyone suddenly has stopped doing it.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If you dont want people to approach your dog, dont take it in public.
    People like dogs, dogs like people. Its what they do.
    Not to be harsh but I don't view it any different then someone approaching/touching my grandchild without permission. He is an adorable kid with an infectious smile that just draws people to him. Or that rude pregnant-belly touching thing that total strangers feel obligated/entitled to do. Just because they're there and cute and people want to touch them, doesn't mean it's okay or a good idea
    Last edited by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker; 03-23-2015 at 22:14.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Images

Don't take this the wrong way, but as you titled your thread "Changing of Behaviors", it would seem that the first change was you changing your behavior, by choosing to go on this hike.

You removed your dog, whose behavior is predicated on being a creature of habit and training, from the environment and daily routine he is both trained and used to.
    You chose to take a LONG hike, likely in less comfortable conditions than the dog is used to. The dog was forced to follow.
    You increased the dog's activity and workload, perhaps more so than he can handle, at least in the short-term.
    You put the dog in close proximity to other people, in situations he is not used to.
    You think hiking is fun. Maybe the dog is telling you he doesn't find hiking long miles every day fun.

Note your own statement,
    when I returned to town today and was walking around and visiting various establishments with him, he was absolutely fine.
    Sorry, but most of this is all about you and your choices and behavior - not necessarily the dog's.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 03-23-2015 at 22:28.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Don't let your dog approach another dog or person, without permission. If your dog growls and snaps at people it does belong on the trail. Why is this a service dog? Unless you are blind, emotional support does not count. Get a life.

Correction; if your dog is aggressive it does NOT belong on the trail. I will protect myself.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Don't let your dog approach another dog or person, without permission. If your dog growls and snaps at people it does belong on the trail. Why is this a service dog? Unless you are blind, emotional support does not count. Get a life.
    SQUEEZEBOX HEEL!

You don't know this person nor their affliction.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    SQUEEZEBOX HEEL!

You don't know this person nor their affliction.
    Amen. That post was totally out of line.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Amen. That post was totally out of line.
    I definitely agree. Way out of line. Good luck bemental! I hope you guys can find a solution to make the best of your hike. I bet it took a lot of guts to post something controversial like that on this pretty feisty forum, but I can tell you are troubled by what happened. Take care of that dog and that dog will take care of you!

What I find interesting about this is that it takes the point of view of the dog owner and dog but not everyone else on the trail. Dog owners are responsible for the behavior and actions of their animal: FULL STOP. It doesn't matter that you're inattentive or that someone approaches your animal in a manner you don't approve. You need to control your dog. You need to control people as they approach your dog (I find a fair, stern warning is sufficient). I have two of the best behaved black labs I've ever met. I wish I could take credit for it but it's largely due to my wife's training and what is likely good genes. Regardless, I would never take them on the trail. I don't want the responsibility and the distraction. If the owner cannot assume the responsibility, as the OP clearly cannot, don't bring the dog. I've met many service dogs and my wife has worked with training organizations (all for blind people) and I never had a dog snap or growl. I don't know where this dog got its training, but perhaps it's back to school for the god. Until then, backpacking is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    A very good point. No dog should be close enough to anyone, and this is exactly why I frown upon any dogs on the trail being unleashed.

The women asked to pet him, and I wasn't paying attention. He was leashed, but I didn't go through the proper greeting procedures (place dog in sit, have stranger give a treat).
    I'm of the view that a service dog should not be petted by others.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Havana View Post
    What I find interesting about this is that it takes the point of view of the dog owner and dog but not everyone else on the trail. Dog owners are responsible for the behavior and actions of their animal: FULL STOP. It doesn't matter that you're inattentive or that someone approaches your animal in a manner you don't approve. You need to control your dog. You need to control people as they approach your dog (I find a fair, stern warning is sufficient). I have two of the best behaved black labs I've ever met. I wish I could take credit for it but it's largely due to my wife's training and what is likely good genes. Regardless, I would never take them on the trail. I don't want the responsibility and the distraction. If the owner cannot assume the responsibility, as the OP clearly cannot, don't bring the dog. I've met many service dogs and my wife has worked with training organizations (all for blind people) and I never had a dog snap or growl. I don't know where this dog got its training, but perhaps it's back to school for the god. Until then, backpacking is not for you.
    Correct. I've been on trail, alone, when I've been 'jumped' by dogs while owners were just off-trail, in their campsites, assuming their dog was just being 'cute'. Oh, sure, the owners will nonchalantly call over and say the 'dog doesn't bite', or 'come here, Fido', etc, etc, and meanwhile I am shaking because of a surprise challenge from an aggressive animal I know nothing about. I've also been attacked by dogs on my bike because the owner wasn't attentive or didn't care. See - the problem is, when you're on the trail and you have a dog, you are the only person who thinks it's 'cute' for the dog to encroach on others' spaces. The victims (yes, victims) of this behavior should not EVER have to anticipate a dog's demeanor - that's the OWNER's charge.

I LOVE dogs, have owned several for many years - in fact, we just lost our 130-lb rescue after 13 years (sad day). But I do not tolerate a dog that is aggressive or whose owner will not control their animal -- especially in the backcountry, where there are lots of variables. I, for one, do not approach strange dogs, and I certainly expect the same consideration from the animal or owner.

If you really need a 'service dog' (whatever that is), great, go for it. But understand, this is the back country. I (like others) do carry a deterrent, and poles, and I will use them to defend myself, whether it's a 'service dog' or 'family pet' or 'precious' or whatever. I am not good at being a victim, and frankly, I really don't give a $%*! about your animal.

A lot of ignorant comments floating around here.... shocking
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

1. If your first post into a thread on dogs is "I will defend myself ..." yada yada yada, then the Dogs on the AT Forum is not for you. Please just put the forum on ignore. Thanks.
    2. Some dogs don't like being pet. Don't try to pet every strange dog you meet. Bluntly said, the dog is their property. Don't touch other people's property without permission.
    3. Some advice for petting dogs http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-exp...w-to-pet-a-dog.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    1. If your first post into a thread on dogs is "I will defend myself ..." yada yada yada, then the Dogs on the AT Forum is not for you. Please just put the forum on ignore. Thanks.
    2. Some dogs don't like being pet. Don't try to pet every strange dog you meet. Bluntly said, the dog is their property. Don't touch other people's property without permission.
    3. Some advice for petting dogs http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-exp...w-to-pet-a-dog.
    Good article! Last sentence: "And always be sure to ask before you pet a dog on a leash — it keeps you safe and is good manners, too." - Noted! :-)

Bemental, I think your dog may be overstressed. Dogs exhibit aggressive behavior when stressed. Your dog was not trained under the conditions you are placing it. It's walking farther and under load every day than it was normally used to. Also, dogs sleep a lot. It can't sleep during the day, so in the evening in camp, it may try to or want to. But there's too much going on for it, particularly at a shelter. Each shelter is different and the dog is not developing a routine. Night time activity is likely keeping it up too.

Provided the service your dog provides is not impacted, here are some adjustments you can make.
    1. Walk fewer miles.
    2. Drop the load. Most of the original load you posted that your dog was carrying was unnecessary. Too much water and if you absolutely have to have the electronics that it had ok but do ya? If you carry the food, it doesn't need the pack anymore really.
    3. Get a tent and camp in a quiet open area without people. (You mentioned using a bivy.) People wandering around shelters will do so from random directions and will only stress your dog. The tent will become like home for the dog and it will relax more in its space. Dogs like to den, it's why crating works. You could also use a small tarp to shape a small pyramid shaped doghouse for the dog.
    4. Take a long midday break. Let the dog have a doggie nap. Do you have a pad for the dog? It will learn to recognize the pad as a sleep spot.
    5. You may need to take zeros more frequently to give the dog a good mental rest.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++