WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: trail idiots

Default trail idiots

I was reading someones trail journal about a couple of idiots who set up their tents inside the shelter for 8 filling it up with their stupidiity. The shelter was for 8 not 2. Another about a man with a pistol and Rambo knife strapped on, with 2 kids and an attack dog in a shelter for 12 turning people away saying the shelter was full. On the street I tend to try get away from these people ASAP, maybe call 911. The drunks at 3 am. ? I don't have a problem with waking them up at 5-6 am and letting them now I'm leaving so they can continue their noise. But these people are anti-social and often violent. So I fear for for my safety. But where was their mother when they started this stuff?
    What kind of this stuff has happened to you in the past, and what did you do about it? Successful / Unsuccessful ?
    Thanks!

Just another reason not to sleep in shelters. I've met a few folks with some strange ways about them, something seemed off but not concernedly so. Then again I've worked in mental health for a few years so my bar is pretty high for that kind of stuff.

I have seen on a few occasions tents set up inside shelters, but it was normally when they were the only people in the shelter. Some of these small freestanding tents occupy about the same area as a ground sheet.
    My biggest peeve was when people would show up after dark when everybody was comfortably in bed (or asleep) in the shelter then make a racket getting set up, cooking their food, headlamps flashing everywhere, ugggg I get mad just thinking about it. You have to be firm with people in the shelters, good communication normally wins the day, always be sure and welcome in the new people showing up(during daylight hours!) and let everyone know to "make room, this shelter fits ___ hikers".

all you can do is try reasoning with people,ask the tent guy to take it down and explain why. ask thy guy with the gun and knife why he's carrying his kids toys around and where the big boy toys are try to explain that you have reservations at that shelter months in advance and the caretaker will be in shortly to settle matters and can maybe ask if his pony is friendly. I'm just an a** when it comes to people who are unfriendly. or the alternative set up tent far away from the shelter and pee in his boot when you have to get up at night. or just avoid them and move on and warn others. really depends on what mood I'm in

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    ... But these people are anti-social and often violent. So I fear for for my safety. But where was their mother when they started this stuff?
    What kind of this stuff has happened to you in the past, and what did you do about it?
    I wouldn't worry about this behavior or your safety. Easy enough to avoid. Interestingly, confontation is definitely not something I've come across much.

Images

i ignore people like this when on vacation. i also ignore people that constantly complain about things like this.

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”

Dr. Seuss
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Love it Karl

It's all a choice and we are fe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Free to make a choice on how to react to any given situation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - attribution unknown

Too many times, my peers say, ”You have to pick your battles”. If you pick your battles, you lose the war, in my opinion.

Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Just like a thunderstorm or freezing rain, these people can be encountered on the trail. I treat them as just another obstacle -- I hike on.

I'm not tied to shelters -- I hammock on the AT. I only stay near shelters some nights, and I have no problem at all with moving on and stealthing.

I hate it when I see someone being rude to others who aren't prepared to move on. At same time, I don't go hiking to fight other people's fights for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - attribution unknown

Too many times, my peers say, ”You have to pick your battles”. If you pick your battles, you lose the war, in my opinion.
    Every time you run into any issue, no matter how large or small and regardless of whether you're tilting at windmills, you choose to confront?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    . . .Another about a man with a pistol and Rambo knife strapped on, . . .what did you do about it? Successful / Unsuccessful ?
    Thanks!
    I absolutely avoid confrontation (and association) with people who "open carry" as they often have a sociopolitical agenda. Many are looking to either intimidate other people by an overt display, or are actively seeking a confrontation where they are "forced to defend themselves", thus validating their worldview. Which pretty much equates to them having at minimum some degree of antisocial personality disorder. Either way, I'll move on and keep an eye out for them. The vast majority of responsible gun owners, including most of those who carry concealed, want no part of whackos that have a need to brandish weapons in public. This ain't the wild, wild west.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I have ran into a few rude people but comes down to it, I let them know what they are doing is wrong and it is affecting other peoples enjoyment time. Normally they see that I am serous and will start being friendly and more nice, Bullies are every where in this world, I cant stand them !!!!, please stay clear of bullies they prey on the ones that cant depend them selves.. The best things is to have more than your self when you ask them nicely to more there tent out of the shelter or what ever the issues is and try to be nice and talk with them..

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I absolutely avoid confrontation (and association) with people who "open carry" as they often have a sociopolitical agenda. Many are looking to either intimidate other people by an overt display, or are actively seeking a confrontation where they are "forced to defend themselves", thus validating their worldview. Which pretty much equates to them having at minimum some degree of antisocial personality disorder. Either way, I'll move on and keep an eye out for them. The vast majority of responsible gun owners, including most of those who carry concealed, want no part of whackos that have a need to brandish weapons in public. This ain't the wild, wild west.
    Pretty much describes every police officer I've met who open carries. See how fun blanket statements are?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Pretty much describes every police officer I've met who open carries. See how fun blanket statements are?
    Uniformed police have to open carry as part of their jobs. And I'm sorry that you feel that way towards police officers. I'd add that I prefaced my remarks with the adjective "many", not "all", which by definition means that I didn't intend it as an absolute blanket statement. But, thanks anyway for your inadvertent vote of support.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 03-20-2015 at 10:31.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Yea but a cop is wearing a uniform of authority, that has a lot of power in and of itself.

Just like everywhere else in life, when you encounter an a-hole on the trail, move along.

Journal Entries
    Images

Unhappy I've met them

at the Thistle Hill Shelter. The story is in the second part of my blog.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entr...ou-live-Part-1

You could stop reading Trail Journals and spend your time training for your own upcoming thru-hike.

Or....you could just quit now, and blame it on the "danger".
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Only twice have I changed plans or been apprehensive about a shelter mate. The worst case was in NJ. There were about 8 of us in the shelter. Later in the evening a man came in with odd gear - not regular hiker gear. He was often mumbling to himself, at other times would engage conversation with individuals, but not the group. While cooking his dinner, he pulled out a machete style knife and made several "jokes" about how effective it was a "sticking" people when necessary. One of the other hikers who this man spoke with, took it upon himself to attempt to evaluate his danger level, so managed to pull him aside for some one on one conversation.

Later, while the subject was at the spring filling his water, the hiker who had engaged him told us he did not feel there was any significant danger, but that the man had admitted that he was without some of his mental health medications, so knew he was coming across rather disjointed and possibly irrational. It was decided that the women would move to the outer areas of the shelter (the man had chosen a spot pretty close to the middle), and we would all just keep one eye open for the evening.

The evening and night passed without any drama, and the subject of our concern was an early riser and was packed and gone before most of us got up. Some of us felt some guilt over our discomfort, but all agreed caution was warranted - always trust your instincts, even if they prove to be wrong occasionally.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++