WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Unhappy Hiking With Leukemia

Soon after returning from ending last years section hike at Hanover NH, 442 miles short of Katahdin, blood work showed serious problems in my health and I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. I am currently undergoing treatment to hopefully get it into remission at IU Med Center in Indianapolis. I spent 36 days there over the winter due to complications and intense chemo which totally wiped my muscles out. I have recovered nicely with rehab I think due to being in good condition from my fall hike,and am now walking on my own again. Looks like I will be getting treatments about once a month throughout the summer so I think hiking this year will not happen. What I would like to know is if anyone has had a similar experience and if they recovered enough to hike again. I know I have the roughest part of the trail left to finish but I would very much like to finish after coming so far. Anyone can email me at [email protected] with good news or bad. -One Stick

Wow. Get strong and finish up when you think the weather would be most suitable. Keep the mobility up with a personal trainer once you get done with rehab. My experience comes from helping to care for my grandfather who lived to 90 (with some type of Leukemia most of his adult life). He only deteriorated after he gave up on rehab and physical therapy. Exercise is key at any age. Hope you can muster the stength to finish. Good luck!

Images

I met a man in his mid 60's hiking South Bound after recovering from years of Chemo.

His trail name was "miserable old bastard" and his persona was true to form. He complained about every root, rock and puddle from Maine to MA. (I don't know if he finished). Once you warmed up to him he was a great guy and his story was inspirational. Diagnosed with cancer in his 60's. Things looked very bleak for him, but he was able to recover and he vowed to take advantage of every moment he had on this earth. He started by biking across Europe, then he Biked from Canada to Brazil and now he was doing the AT.

Long story short, yes, I think you can bounce back! I'm really sorry to hear about your diagnoses! Good luck and stay positive!

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

Have a great walk. I have MS and set out for a walk and after several weeks the fatigue and problems walking caused me to tear a ligament in my ankle which ended my hike.

One stick,

I can't give you news on anyone else; however, I can say I admire your determination and spirit.

Keep this goal in front of you as it will help you recover from your health issues.

You said you have a portion of the trail left...you might consider trying to do small sections each year as you recover....every foot traveled is a foot closer to finishing!

Good luck! My thoughts are with you.

You might want a hiking partner in case you hit a sudden medical issue they can help you out. Live Strong!!

You might want a hiking partner in case you hit a sudden medical issue they can help you out. Live Strong!!

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    You said you have a portion of the trail left...you might consider trying to do small sections each year as you recover....every foot traveled is a foot closer to finishing!
    Considering his age (70) doing small sections for a number of additional years may not be an option. Slack packing NH and Maine over the course of a summer or into the fall might be a better way to go. Take breaks as needed to recover.

Do the AMC huts through most of NH and then slack pack as much of Maine as possible. Some sections might have to be skipped as too rugged, but the majority of the trail could be covered.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++