WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Crime on the trail?

Is there anything my husband and I need to keep an eye out for? We're going to be cautious, but is there anything going on that all hikers should be aware of?

Images

This topic has seen a couple of active threads here in the last month or two. Maybe do a bit of reading of existing threads ?
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Crime is rare on the trail but it does happen. The key is do what you can within your control to keep from being a victim. Some things are out of your control others but others are within your control. It always amazes me how often hikers are willing to tell complete strangers some information that maybe they should keep to themselves. For example:

Think about how much $$$ you spent on your equipment. Now how often have you seen hikers more than willing to tell everyone what they are carrying on their backpacks. If you spent $300 on a sleeping bag, is that something you really want everyone to know?

Don't tell people where you are planning on camping. People have gotten their packs stolen or even worst after telling someone where they plan on camping.

If you see something strange, let ATC or if needed the police know about it.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    Crime is rare on the trail but it does happen. The key is do what you can within your control to keep from being a victim. Some things are out of your control others but others are within your control. It always amazes me how often hikers are willing to tell complete strangers some information that maybe they should keep to themselves. For example:

Think about how much $$$ you spent on your equipment. Now how often have you seen hikers more than willing to tell everyone what they are carrying on their backpacks. If you spent $300 on a sleeping bag, is that something you really want everyone to know?

Don't tell people where you are planning on camping. People have gotten their packs stolen or even worst after telling someone where they plan on camping.

If you see something strange, let ATC or if needed the police know about it.

Wolf
    Ok great, thank you

Keep your wallet and ID with you at all times. Don't leave them in your pack while you go off to get water unless one of you stays behind. When hitchhiking, make sure your wallet is with you and not in the pack. Be cautious leaving your pack outside a business. If possible, ask if you can take your pack into the store or restaurant and leave it in a corner rather than outside. If there are signs saying no packs allowed, have someone stay with the packs. Pay attention to your feelings about the people you run into on the trail. If someone doesn't feel right, if they make you uneasy, move on and camp off trail a distance away.

Journal Entries

Most people in the hiking community are top-notch folk, very friendly, very helpful, and wouldn't steal anything from you. That said, don't be naive or stupid and leave your pack at a shelter for the day while you go off on a side trip to a waterfall. Unattended gear, after a few hours, is abandoned gear. Your primary concerns will be in town, or at shelters near a road crossing. Just exercise a normal amount of watchfulness, keep an eye on your stuff. After all, if you lose your pack, you lose the stuff that you're depending on to be warm, fed, and dry. Keep your wallet on your person.

Images

Trust your gut. Always keep your wallet on your person.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    Keep your wallet and ID with you at all times. Don't leave them in your pack while you go off to get water unless one of you stays behind. When hitchhiking, make sure your wallet is with you and not in the pack. Be cautious leaving your pack outside a business. If possible, ask if you can take your pack into the store or restaurant and leave it in a corner rather than outside. If there are signs saying no packs allowed, have someone stay with the packs. Pay attention to your feelings about the people you run into on the trail. If someone doesn't feel right, if they make you uneasy, move on and camp off trail a distance away.
    Lots of good info, thank you

Images

if you are the type of person that gets taken advantage of in normal life, be ready to hustled on the trail
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

TRAIL ANGELS DO IT FOR FREE! Anybody else who will accept a "donation" is in business and beating Uncle Sam out of his cut

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dark side View Post
    TRAIL ANGELS DO IT FOR FREE! Anybody else who will accept a "donation" is in business and beating Uncle Sam out of his cut
    i'd correct your answer, but can't find the question you are replying to ?????
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post

Wolf
    Hum, if someone was out to steal backpacks, you'd think they'd already know were people camp.

Just use common sense, don't leave small valuable items which can be quickly pocketed unattended and in plain sight. No buddy wants your smelly backpack, sleeping bag or clothes, but they might want your GoPro.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

In my 400+ miles on the AT and (almost) the entire LT, I've never had even a hint of trouble. Just use common sense. Once I got to a shelter and there was a guy that made me a little uneasy, so I just packed up and hiked another half mile then stealth camped.
    I'm sure he was harmless, but my gut said move on!

Use the same level of caution and processes you would use at a mall, movie theater or sightseeing with others around. Its the same people, just dressed differently.

All National Scenic Trails are overrun with criminals and aggresive bears, and norovirus. You should just stay home, or maybe go the beach or something.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post
    All National Scenic Trails are overrun with criminals and aggresive bears, and norovirus. You should just stay home, or maybe go the beach or something.
    I know that you're trying to be facetious, but every now and then the trail really has been overrun by norovirus.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I know that you're trying to be facetious, but every now and then the trail really has been overrun by norovirus.
    more like NOBOvirus

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cheese! View Post
    Is there anything my husband and I need to keep an eye out for? We're going to be cautious, but is there anything going on that all hikers should be aware of?
    No more than at home. Most hikers are just like yourself, but there may be a couple of bad apples. Never leave gear unnattended.

You will encounter some people that clearly dont seem to belong. It can be anything from locals out for a night, to homeless or mentally ill. Its usually best to avoid anyone that makes you uncomfortable, if for no other reason than you will sleep better. Walk a few more miles to get away from them.

Images

If there are other hikers around you can usually form some kind of casual acquaintance so don't feel as though you must be on guard with everyone. The solo hiker likes to chat a lot because he has been alone all day you know. We are not all creeps.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post
    more like NOBOvirus
    Well played Sir.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++