WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need better sleeping bag

First timer, will be starting on April 26th from the falls for a 1 week hike.
    Thankyou all for the advice and help.
    But it seems like you guys think I need a better bag than a 32 degree.

So I would like to have a bag less than 2lbs that will be warm enough.

What do you have/like?

Thanks, got to go to work now, and earn some money to afford this bag

If your bag is a high quality, true 32 degree bag and you carry extra insulation, such as a puffy jacket and warm hat, you will probably be ok. Just keep abreast of the weather forecast before you leave and plan accordingly.

Not really, I've been in low 40s and I was cold.
    I would like to get a 20 degree under 2lbs.
    But the selection is huge

Images

A good 32-F rated bag should be fine - as daddytwosticks says, make sure you have extra clothing in case it's chilly. Now, I've had some "32-F rated" bags that were not even close, but we don't know what you have to comment.

I have a Western Mountaineering Megalite, which is a 2-lb bag rated very conservatively to 30-F (which means that in my long johns and a light hat I am warm down into the high 20s. YMMV.) It's a great bag and still in perfect condition more than ten years later, but man those things aren't cheap.

Any 2-lb bag rated properly to 32 is going to be high quality down with a very light shell fabric, so none of them are cheap. Sometimes the Marmot bags are on sale. Also check the Montbell #3 bag, they are occasionally sale priced.

Edit, okay you want a 20F bag under 2 pounds. (We posted at the same time )

Western Mountaineering Terralight is new, rated to 25 degrees, total weight 29 ounces.

WM Ultralite is a sweet bag, though it's a very slim mummy. 20-F, 29 oz.

The Alpinelight is the wide version of the Ultralight, weighs a couple of ounces more.

Good luck.
    Last edited by bigcranky; 03-13-2015 at 07:40.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

++++ WM Alpinlite. I am a very cold sleeper, I use this bag up into the 50's. I had the overfill put in this bag that added another two oz. I have three WM bags and just love them, but they are expensive. A bag for life........

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

Quote Originally Posted by sittinguy View Post
    Not really, I've been in low 40s and I was cold.
    I would like to get a 20 degree under 2lbs.
    But the selection is huge
    For something in that temp range I would recommend a quilt. Mine is from Enlightened Equipment, 30*, around $200, and only 20 oz. A 20* is not much more than that. I dont think you need a hood on your bag unless going below 25* on a regular basis. And I hate the cold. My quilt works fine down to mid 20's with a wool ski cap and balaclava, and some extra clothes. Leaving Springer in late April, a 20 or 30* quilt should be fine.

Get a long quilt and you can pull it over your head if needed.

Thankyou for the opinions and the links.
    I made a purchase of this...

Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32

Its a 28 degree bag, and its lite.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    A good 32-F rated bag should be fine - as daddytwosticks says, make sure you have extra clothing in case it's chilly. Now, I've had some "32-F rated" bags that were not even close, but we don't know what you have to comment.

I have a Western Mountaineering Megalite, which is a 2-lb bag rated very conservatively to 30-F (which means that in my long johns and a light hat I am warm down into the high 20s. YMMV.) It's a great bag and still in perfect condition more than ten years later, but man those things aren't cheap.

Any 2-lb bag rated properly to 32 is going to be high quality down with a very light shell fabric, so none of them are cheap. Sometimes the Marmot bags are on sale. Also check the Montbell #3 bag, they are occasionally sale priced.

Edit, okay you want a 20F bag under 2 pounds. (We posted at the same time )

Western Mountaineering Terralight is new, rated to 25 degrees, total weight 29 ounces.

WM Ultralite is a sweet bag, though it's a very slim mummy. 20-F, 29 oz.

The Alpinelight is the wide version of the Ultralight, weighs a couple of ounces more.

Good luck.
    Inexpensive is the word. Quality down sleeping bags are a lot less expensive to own than an endless series of no name, over hyped, fall apart, heavy, cold, excuses for a sleeping bag.
    I passed the first bag I bought, from REI when their gear was made in the USA, to my granddaughter last year to use iin the summer at Grayson Highlands. I reckon she will get my Western Mountaineering Antelope when I'm too old to use it.
    A person could do worse than the WM Megalite for eastern summer use. It is built on the same wide pattern as the Alpenlite. 1 pound. 8 ounces.
    Western Mountaineering bag sizes:
    Summerlite, Ultralite, Apache: Slim width
    Vistalite, Antelope: Medium width
    Megalite, Alpenlite: Wide
    Semi-Rectangulars: Extra wide

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I recommend you get a 20 degree down quilt instead of a bag. I got one a few seasons ago and will never go back, and I camp in a tent, not a hammock. Mine weighs 24 ounces. Check out Underground Quilts or Hammock Gear. ZPacks sells a nice one too but its 500 smackers.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sittinguy View Post
    Thankyou for the opinions and the links.
    I made a purchase of this...

Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32

Its a 28 degree bag, and its lite.
    It is quite possible at that time in GA the night temps wont be under 50.
    Or it could be 25F

You could keep it until you get a firm forecast a week out, and then return it if you dont need it.

Images

I use a 20 degree quilt for all my trips.... 23 oz and I don't feel like I am suffocating in it. Enlightened Equipment is the brand I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    I use a 20 degree quilt for all my trips.... 23 oz and I don't feel like I am suffocating in it. Enlightened Equipment is the brand I have.
    My sentiments exactly. I see a lot of discussion on here about going to a 40 degree bag/quilt in the summer. I tried that but it's not quite enough for me, even at 50 deg. I think when hiking, I'm always somewhat dehydrated, even at night. Therefore I tend to sleep a little colder.

I sprung for a Zpacks 20 deg bag at 21 oz.

++ New Posts ++