WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Stoves? Food? Hunting and Gathering?!

My husband and I are leaving in July, but we are pretty unprepared still. At this time, all we own for the trip is head lamps. We've looked online at stoves but we really can't seem to find the 'right' one. Do you have any suggestions for a good stove to take with us? Preferably something easy to use and clean up.

As for food, what on Earth do we even bring?! Right now, we're thinking trail mix like all day every day (we obviously won't need the stove if we go with just trail mix.) What food did/will you bring on your trip and why is that a good option?

AND CLEANING WATER??? What is your favorite method? We've never had any practice cleaning our own water, so we don't even know where to begin. There are so many options to choose from it's making our heads spin.

And lastly, hunting and gathering... We don't plan on hunting any animals, like at all in any way whatsoever. But is there anything safe to eat on the trail that'll help us along the way? There will be times we may not be able to afford food, so I'm wondering what we can do to avoid starvation.

Thank you!

-Cheese!

I would suggest going back to the home page and looking to the center left for the articles section. Note there are sections on equipment and food. Read those and then come back if you don't understand anything.

Quote Originally Posted by cheese! View Post
    My husband and I are leaving in July, but we are pretty unprepared still. At this time, all we own for the trip is head lamps. We've looked online at stoves but we really can't seem to find the 'right' one. Do you have any suggestions for a good stove to take with us? Preferably something easy to use and clean up.

As for food, what on Earth do we even bring?! Right now, we're thinking trail mix like all day every day (we obviously won't need the stove if we go with just trail mix.) What food did/will you bring on your trip and why is that a good option?

AND CLEANING WATER??? What is your favorite method? We've never had any practice cleaning our own water, so we don't even know where to begin. There are so many options to choose from it's making our heads spin.

And lastly, hunting and gathering... We don't plan on hunting any animals, like at all in any way whatsoever. But is there anything safe to eat on the trail that'll help us along the way? There will be times we may not be able to afford food, so I'm wondering what we can do to avoid starvation.

Thank you!

-Cheese!
    You need to research a lot. Don't even think about gathering food. If you can't afford to buy food, you need to work on saving money before trying a major undertaking.

Stove--look at alcohol stoves or canister stoves.
    Food--trail mix is going to get boring fast.
    Cleaning water--I would go with a Sawyer mini-filter. 2 oz, and about $20 at Wal-Mart.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

As for food, I don't want to sound like a jerk, but if you can't afford to thru-hike this year, start saving and hike next year instead. Running out of money is one of the top causes of people getting off the trail. You might be able to find some berries, but there won't be that many (remember--there are thousands of other hikers on the trail, and they will be eating berries, too), and you won't have enough time to stop and collect enough to make a real dent in your caloric needs.

Once you are up to thru-hiker mileages (15 or more a day), you will be burning 4000 or more calories a day on the trail. You need a ton of food to keep yourself going. Hiking hungry suuuuuuuuuucks--you do not want to be shorting yourself on food.

Very little food to be gathered along the trail, a few ramps, mushrooms and berries.

Journal Entries

My husband and I are leaving in July, but we are pretty unprepared still. At this time, all we own for the trip is head lamps....
    Welcome to WhiteBlaze!
    You've come to the right place, but you're not ready to backpack.
    Do some hiking.
    Do a LOT of research.
    Then try an overnight trip with borrowed equipment or whatever you can improvise.
    If you're still interested, start getting a few pieces of gear and making bigger plans.
    For the research, here are a few suggestions:
    1. Visit your local outfitter. Just walk around. Look at the prices - kinda shocking sometimes. Learn about the types of things that are available.
    2. Spend some time browsing online outfitters like www.campmor.com, or www.rei.com
    3. Visit www.appalachiantrail.org, and read everything three times.
    4. Visit www.trailjournals.com or pick up Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods to start learning about real adventures.
    5. Hang out on WhiteBlaze, read stuff that's interesting to you, ask questions now and then.

Research, research, research. Excellent sources already described above.

Once you think you have something worked out, do a shakedown hike. Can be as simple as spending the night in your back yard but it will help you figure out what you have right (and not so right).

GA-ME 2011
    Images

There will be times we may not be able to afford food, so I'm wondering what we can do to avoid starvation.
    What do you do for food now?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Cheese:
    Have no fear, I’m here to help on your way. Take my advice and go lightweight, it makes a world of difference.
    Headlamps are a great start, now you can hike in the dark and not break your neck. Here are some other basic things you’ll need.
    Packs: ULA Circuit for the hubby and ULA Ohm or Gossamer Gear Gorilla for you. Cost $400.
    Tent: Big Agnes Flycreek UL2, with footprint. The tent is a little tight (you get along, right!) but it weighs only 3 lbs (with the footprint) and is a great, durable shelter, even though when you first see it you’ll think it is made out of tissue paper. Cost $350 (with 20% coupon).
    Sleeping bags: Don’t get a sleeping bags, get down quilts, Check out Underground Quilts Flightjacket or Hammock Gear Burrow. Get a 20 degree models with the snap and cinch footbox, not sewn. This provides the greatest venting flexibility for the warmer weather. If you wiggle around when you sleep (are you newlyweds?) get the pad attachment systems from either manufacturer. Cost $600.
    Sleeping pads: Thermarest Neoair Trekker in regular size. Cost $200 (look for 20% off coupon).
    Stove: You want easy-peasy, alcohol stoves are an art form. Get a canister stove, almost any model. If I had to recommend one it would be the Snowpeak Litemax. You may be tempted with a Jetboil, but these are only good for boiling water. You need a unit you can actually cook with (i.e.; that will simmer). Cost $60.
    Pot: For two a good choice is the Evernew Titanium 1.1 liter pot. Cost $60.
    Food: Plan out breakfast-lunch and dinner for every day between resupply stops. For me, breakfast is a Cliff bar, lunch a series of stops where I graze and dinner a cooked meal (freeze dried or a dry mix, like Knoor side dishes with some meat added). If you’re addicted to caffeine (and really, who isn’t?) ditch all the coffee mumbo jumbo and take a 200mg caffeine pill in the mornings and a mix up energy drink mid day. This will save you weight and hassles on the trail.
    Trail shoes: Very important, you’re feet need to be happy. La Sportiva Wildcats. Cost $220.
    Clothing: Lightweight nylon clothing. What you’re wearing and one change, that’s it! Two or three pair of hiking socks (I like light hikers with the Wildcats.) A lightweight fleece, some lightweight long underwear (to sleep in) and, in the early spring and late fall, a bubble down jacket. Cost varies.
    Rain gear (very important): Jacket: Outdoor Research Helium II, Pants: No pants, ULA rain kilt. Cost $300.
    Misc items (keep it light) include a basic first aid kit, toiletries, camp soap, etc.
    If you follow these instructions your base weight (before food and fuel) will come in at around 15 pounds. Your pack weight will max out at around 20-25 for you and 25-30 lbs for your husband. This will make for an enjoyable trip.
    Good luck!

Images

My husband and I are leaving in July, but we are pretty unprepared still. . . . There will be times we may not be able to afford food, so I'm wondering what we can do to avoid starvation.

Thank you!

-Cheese!
    I hope you are kidding. Because otherwise you will not be hikers - you will be trail bums trying to scrounge meals out of hiker boxes and yogi food from hikers.

If you can't afford a vacation, then you can't afford a vacation.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

A couple of books should help
    The Complete Walker IV by Colin Fletcher and Chip Rawlings
    Advanced Backpacking by Chris Townsend

Good information neatly packaged. Both books have reading lists for further study.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

The "Last American Man" Eustace Conway hiked the AT for free, living off the land. He ate shelter mice and road kill and nearly starved to death. He discovered that there simply isn't enough wild edible vegetation on the trail to sustain a man (makes you wonder how the bears do it). And this is a guy who has made it his life's work to teach people to live off the land -- he's one of the "Mountain Men" on that reality show. In the end, he said it was practically the only experience in his life that he regretted doing.

But I wouldn't discourage the OP from trying it with her husband. The purpose of life is to experience life, and it's even sweeter when the experience is shared. Some of my fondest memories are of the incredibly idiotic risks I took when I was a kid with no responsibilities.

While there is exactly zero chance of completing an AT thruhike starting in July with no preparation, there is a 100% chance of having an interesting experience in the attempt.

I love it.
    Headlamps aye?
    And hunting.
    How much research has this person put into this hike so far in your opinions?
    I heard of people starting out with no experience. But headlamps?
    Or troll maybe?

I met people who carried very little in the way of gear, clothes, and even food.
    But never only a headlamp.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I agree with others that the OP must do more research, because this thread has too many basic questions, so here's a link to the home page with all the applicable articles that cover very good basic information. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php

However, with respect to living a hunter/gatherer lifestyle there is plenty of food on the AT, but the problem is that we humans have become too dependent on our present lifestyle to live out in the outdoors subsisting on a way of life that requires hunting/gathering food, let alone doing this at the same time as doing a thru-hike, i.e. making miles -- which would be so much more difficult.

Furthermore, you can't just a eat meat for protein, you must eat parts of the animal that most of us find too disgusting to eat, in order to get all the nutrients, especially fats, so that you remain healthy. There's no way you could eat just plant matter, just not enough calories and fat provided -- for that you need to eat human-produced plants.

I think your biting off more than you think you can chew.
    Rex to rescue: these folks want to collect/gather food along the trail - what makes you think they would be able to afford such gear as you suggest?

Here's a tip I don't see mentioned yet. You obviously have a computer - great for researching! Tap into YouTube and look up DIY hiking tips...for folks trying to budget a tite bank roll some the info you may find very valuble.
    I'm an adventurist but I wouldn't attempt what you are going to. Keep in mind this venture could really 'go south' on you so-to-speak and leave you with a bitter taste for long distance hiking...which would not be the desired outcome!
    I'm a hunter and gatherer also. I've found some eatible sustanance along the trail but it was just mostly trail nibble stuff...nothing I hope to have to survive on and then hump 15-20 miles on! I've also met a few fanatics that were upset that I picked a few leaves, roots and berries along the way! I know my plants and I know I can pick one leaf off this or that plant have a nutrious snak and not harm the plant. I know which are also eatible but one kills the plant if they wish to eat it.
    If you like adventure have done no research, have no equipment, no 'woodsman' skills, no $$$...you're barking up the right tree - you'll be finding all kinds of adventures on the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    What do you do for food now?
    We have jobs now, but on the trail we won't have a source of income. Right now we eat pretty much just fruits and vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Cheese:
    Have no fear, I’m here to help on your way. Take my advice and go lightweight, it makes a world of difference.
    Headlamps are a great start, now you can hike in the dark and not break your neck. Here are some other basic things you’ll need.
    Packs: ULA Circuit for the hubby and ULA Ohm or Gossamer Gear Gorilla for you. Cost $400.
    Tent: Big Agnes Flycreek UL2, with footprint. The tent is a little tight (you get along, right!) but it weighs only 3 lbs (with the footprint) and is a great, durable shelter, even though when you first see it you’ll think it is made out of tissue paper. Cost $350 (with 20% coupon).
    Sleeping bags: Don’t get a sleeping bags, get down quilts, Check out Underground Quilts Flightjacket or Hammock Gear Burrow. Get a 20 degree models with the snap and cinch footbox, not sewn. This provides the greatest venting flexibility for the warmer weather. If you wiggle around when you sleep (are you newlyweds?) get the pad attachment systems from either manufacturer. Cost $600.
    Sleeping pads: Thermarest Neoair Trekker in regular size. Cost $200 (look for 20% off coupon).
    Stove: You want easy-peasy, alcohol stoves are an art form. Get a canister stove, almost any model. If I had to recommend one it would be the Snowpeak Litemax. You may be tempted with a Jetboil, but these are only good for boiling water. You need a unit you can actually cook with (i.e.; that will simmer). Cost $60.
    Pot: For two a good choice is the Evernew Titanium 1.1 liter pot. Cost $60.
    Food: Plan out breakfast-lunch and dinner for every day between resupply stops. For me, breakfast is a Cliff bar, lunch a series of stops where I graze and dinner a cooked meal (freeze dried or a dry mix, like Knoor side dishes with some meat added). If you’re addicted to caffeine (and really, who isn’t?) ditch all the coffee mumbo jumbo and take a 200mg caffeine pill in the mornings and a mix up energy drink mid day. This will save you weight and hassles on the trail.
    Trail shoes: Very important, you’re feet need to be happy. La Sportiva Wildcats. Cost $220.
    Clothing: Lightweight nylon clothing. What you’re wearing and one change, that’s it! Two or three pair of hiking socks (I like light hikers with the Wildcats.) A lightweight fleece, some lightweight long underwear (to sleep in) and, in the early spring and late fall, a bubble down jacket. Cost varies.
    Rain gear (very important): Jacket: Outdoor Research Helium II, Pants: No pants, ULA rain kilt. Cost $300.
    Misc items (keep it light) include a basic first aid kit, toiletries, camp soap, etc.
    If you follow these instructions your base weight (before food and fuel) will come in at around 15 pounds. Your pack weight will max out at around 20-25 for you and 25-30 lbs for your husband. This will make for an enjoyable trip.
    Good luck!
    Thank you so much for all of that information!!! That was very helpful

We aren't leaving with only head lamps, that's just the only thing we've bought so far because we can't decide on equipment.

Images

Lots of stinging nettles along the trail in VA, carry gloves to harvest. They grow into the trail so no one will complain if you "trim" them.

Lightly supplementing by foraging legally in places where that's OK is one thing on the AT but it is unrealistic expecting to hike and live off the land. That's an overly romantic notion that is BS to attempt regularly on a long hike. Heck, I live Hawaii where food is rather publically abundant in places seasonally and still it is an overly romantic, far fetched, and ill advised notion to attempt regularly. I see less than 1% of the people who attempt to do this succeed regularly to any great degree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++