WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Going Tent/tarp-less

Just kinda wanted an overall opinion on not using a tent on the AT. Keep in mind this is during the bug-less season. I guess my overall concern would be getting to a shelter in a down pour and having no room available….which seems like a very realistic situation in late March in GA.
    GA-ME 05 GA-ME 08

Images

I wouldn't even consider it. What if the shelter really is full (very likely in late march) or what if you sprain your ankle, or are injured, between shelters? Dumb idea!
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

In late spring or March...definitely a no-no. But imo...also just plain not smart anytime. Hypothermia is nothing to take for granted. I ended up helping a woman for almost 4 hours after she was brought in to a shelter. An 80 degree day, but an afternoon rain dropped the temperature fast; plus, she had been sweating. I'm talking screaming in pain as 4 of us helped rub her limbs to get feeling back. Delirious. Not pretty. If you have a tent/shelter, you can stop and get in out of the weather!

Safety 3rd
    #1 ; don't be stupid!!
    #2 : bring what you need!!
    safety #3 see #s 1&2

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Safety 3rd
    #1 ; don't be stupid!!
    #2 : bring what you need!!
    safety #3 see #s 1&2
    X 1,000,000

Unless you're prepared to hike throughout the night, this is altogether unwise and insane. It's been done (as has most every other feat on the AT), but that doesn't mean it was (or is) a smart thing to do. If the AT teaches you anything (and it does), it's that mother nature is often in control. Don't head into an all-out war with her without carrying at least some sort of weaponry. Lose three pounds and buy yourself a tent.

I wouldn't try it. Too many people think they're Bear Grylls and next thing you know, here's comes a rescue. For safety sake, a big no from me too.

Rub limbs? No.

Warmest belly person gets in sleeping bag with hypothermia victim.

No shelter at all? No.

Not only injuries to consider: you may not want to walk on to the next shelter.

Terrible idea. If it was for a quick overnight in the summer I could see doing it and risking a miserable night. For a thru-hike, not a chance. At the very least, carry a minimal tarp (Zpacks pocket tarp comes to mind). That will give you some protection from the elements. Add a polycro ground sheet and you have a very decent emergency shelter for 8-10 ounces and almost no space used in the pack.

Journal Entries

Saw this thread, and I knew immediately what the responses would be. No way!
    What hasn't been said yet, is that there is tremendous resentment towards people who deliberately put themselves at risk by choosing to hike without a shelter (or some other critical item). Such people come to shelters and beg others to yield their space and set up outside. Even if they manage to get a shelter spot, they are widely and correctly regarded as selfish idiots. (Sorry, but you'll hear much worse if this thread continues.)
    Dirty Harry, you've been a WB member since 2007. Surely you know this is a bad idea.

Journal Entries

Many shelters down south were packed full in very creative ways (sides, steps, back, under the floor, hanging from the roof) when the weather became bad. I've heard one woman in the Smokies who had to settle for sitting up all night because the only space left was not large enough for her to lie down.

Also not having a shelter option will affect your hike more then you know, most likely you will get up very early, hike very fast, and not go very far to insure you get a spot at the next shelter. This is very common practice for some who want a shelter spot (as opposed to need it). And those who do this are not likely to give them up.

I think it's a great idea.

Like chain-smoking for life.

Perhaps your goals and motivations have been mis-interpreted. Perhaps you have a goal to meet a group of First responders or Search and Rescue personnel but, have been too shy to be so forward? If so, yes! Definitely trudge into the wilderness unprepared. Or, is it possible that hypothermia is one of those "THRILLS" you wanted to experience first-hand? Then certainly don't burden yourself with shelter.

Keeping an open mind. As they say, Hike your own hike

Images

I too think this is a great way to save a couple of useless pounds of weight.

How it works is this -- when you get to a shelter late in the day, and it's pouring rain and the shelter is packed full, just announce very loudly that you're an ultralight hiker and you have no tent or tarp, and someone is going to have to give up his space inside so you can have it. This will go over very well with the "heavyweight" crowd, several of whom will immediately remove themselves and all their soaking wet gear from the shelter, go outside into the pouring rain, and set up their tents so you can have the space inside.

After all, you're an ultralight hiker. The shelter space is reserved for you.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

It's irresponsible and dangerous.

Bring a shelter.

I remember reading a post on here about a group of girls who (in Maine of all places), showed up at a shelter, intentionally tentless, after dark and asked the tent-toting hikers to move out and pitch so she and her companions could sleep inside. Surprisingly, 3 of them capitulated. I bet the girls were cute.

I'd have three words: Not. My. ****ing. Problem. Okay 4 words.

Section Hiker

Even a UL hiker needs the "10 Essentials." There's a reason they are essential... It's because they are ESSENTIAL.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Make sure you bring an address on your person so the authorities know where to ship your body to after you die from hypothermia. Or is that to much weight to carry?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I too think this is a great way to save a couple of useless pounds of weight.

How it works is this -- when you get to a shelter late in the day, and it's pouring rain and the shelter is packed full, just announce very loudly that you're an ultralight hiker and you have no tent or tarp, and someone is going to have to give up his space inside so you can have it. This will go over very well with the "heavyweight" crowd, several of whom will immediately remove themselves and all their soaking wet gear from the shelter, go outside into the pouring rain, and set up their tents so you can have the space inside.

After all, you're an ultralight hiker. The shelter space is reserved for you.
    Please don't lump UL hikers in with this nonsense. You could be heavyweight and stupid just as easy.

Amen to that, Malto.

As I've said many times before there are UL folks who really know what they are doing. I have great respect for their experience. At this point I can't push that edge.
    And then there is stupid light people who deserve the Darwin award.
    And yes there is stupid heavy, but not everyone with a 30+ pack wt. is stupid heavy. A little respect in the other direction also please!!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++