WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trekking poles on a plane

Hi. I'm solo thru hiking the CT this summer. I plan on flying into Denver July 15ish on Southwest. Can I carry-on trekking poles? My poles collapse to 26 1/2". Or would they be consided a possible weapon and need to be checked?

Thanks,
    Kyle

I have never heard of the TSA allowing trekking poles.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

I just flew from Boston to San Francisco then on to New Zealand with my poles (collapse to about 16 inches) in my carry-on pack. No problem with TSA.

I have used a single trekking pole as a 'cane' while flying and no one said anything about it.

Journal Entries

We have always put our poles in checked baggage. I have heard conflicting reports of TSA allowing or not allowing them in carry-ons. If your poles are important to you, be cautious.

Garlic
    Images

In my experience it's been 50-50 with TSA. And you do NOT argue with them. I heard if you call them "walking aids" you'll have better luck. I say give it a try, but leave enough time to return to the desk and check your poles.

Last time I was flying into Denver with poles, TSA made me check them. Sure enough, getting on the plane in front of me was a couple with backpacks and trekking poles. They got in the "right" TSA line. Good luck.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    In my experience it's been 50-50 with TSA. And you do NOT argue with them. I heard if you call them "walking aids" you'll have better luck. I say give it a try, but leave enough time to return to the desk and check your poles.

Last time I was flying into Denver with poles, TSA made me check them. Sure enough, getting on the plane in front of me was a couple with backpacks and trekking poles. They got in the "right" TSA line. Good luck.
    I think this is exactly right, poles are right on the edge of being allowed, depending on the TSA ("Thousands Standing Around") particular attitude, so I'd just check them, why not if your checking a bag anyway. I do like the idea of pretending to have a limp and telling them it is being used as a cane though, very cool, seems like that should work most of the time.

Images

Trekking poles aren't specifically mentioned in the prohibited items page, but ski poles are. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...ibited-items#4 But if you type in trekking poles to TSA's search window it says "check only". http://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_re...ekking%20poles TSA really doesn't care about how long they are, it's that they could be used as a thrusting weapon. You might get them through, you might not. It's probably one of those things that if it triggers an x-ray screener's interest, then it's up to the agent/supervisor decision. Arrive a bit early and be prepared to check them if need be.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Box your gear up and check it or UPS the box (if you plan on staying overnight in Denver upon arrival). You can't plan for what TSA is going to finger as a hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post

+1
    It's a gamble. One technique is to take the baskets off, and also put rubber caps on the tips. Walk with a limp, using the poles to stabilize yourself and unweight your "bad knee" or "bad hip" or "bad ankle" in the airport security line all the way to the scanner. If asked, they are "walking aids". When you give them up and put them through the scanner you can make your limp even more noticeable - you have obvious difficulty walking without them - through the scanning gateway. However, TSA can still make you check them but they are less likely to.
    Last edited by QiWiz; 03-10-2015 at 13:38.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Thanks for the responses. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nattyB View Post
    Box your gear up and check it or UPS the box (if you plan on staying overnight in Denver upon arrival). You can't plan for what TSA is going to finger as a hazard.
    That was going to be my next question. Is that the way to check your pack? Put it in a box?

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    +1
    It's a gamble. One technique is to take the baskets off, and also put rubber caps on the tips. Walk with a limp, using the poles to stabilize yourself and unweight your "bad knee" or "bad hip" or "bad ankle" in the airport security line all the way to the scanner. If asked, they are "walking aids". When you give them up and put them through the scanner you can make your limp even more noticeable - you have obvious difficulty walking without them - through the scanning gateway. However, TSA can still make you check them but they are less likely to.
    I thought of this, but it's a bit too like peoples "service" animal scams.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by kyled1 View Post
    That was going to be my next question. Is that the way to check your pack? Put it in a box?

Box is the cheapest and easily disposed of once you get to your destination. I usually have my pack with me with tent and sleeping bag in it (the big money items). The rest of the stuff is boxed. Just remember if you are using a fuel canister, you will need to buy one in Denver. Hope this helps, cheers!

Images

Mailing via USPS and pick up on arrival is an option. Otherwise take small (expensive/sensitive) carry on. Check gear in duffle or comparable bag, if trek poles are too long, secure in round cardboard mailer and secure to bag (ie TAPE)

you can take your poles on a plane with no issues

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sirsnappy09 View Post
    you can take your poles on a plane with no issues
    Based on the responses above, it is more like a 50/50 chance. All depends on the TSA agent.

Personally, I'd just check them....or even mail the gear ahead if possible.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I boxed my gear flying to Atlanta for the AT start. Easy and predictable. Did have to get some fuel on the way to the trailhead, but no problem. I stress with those TSA folks.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I thought of this, but it's a bit too like peoples "service" animal scams.
    AMEN! Besides being unethical, it's fraud to lie to the TSA to get contraband on board a plane, isn't it?

The WB User Agreement forbids discussions concerning commitment illegal acts.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    AMEN! Besides being unethical, it's fraud to lie to the TSA to get contraband on board a plane, isn't it?

The WB User Agreement forbids discussions concerning commitment illegal acts.
    Are you kidding me? First, trekking poles are apparently not contraband, therefore using a simple, completely harmless ruse to take them onboard is not in any way illegal. How does carrying a trekking pole on to an airplane in any way endanger or inconvenience anyone at all??? Get serious (maybe you're not????)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++