WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RX glasses while hiking?

Just got prescription glasses (long overdue). What tips do you glasses-wearing hikers have for me? I've noticed they fog while hiking when temps are cool; wearing them down a bit on the bridge of my nose seems to help this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

1. Clean, DRY bandana for wiping them every now and then.
    2. Baseball type hat for keeping MOST of the rain off.
    3. Take them off in heavy rain - have a SAFE place to keep them until it eases off.
    4. My tent has a small pocket by the door - RELIGIOUSLY put them into the pocket at night.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I don't even bring glasses when backpacking, just my contacts. I much prefer removing em in the evening and putting em back in the morning over constantly wiping em off and whatnot throughout the day. I also don't have to worry about breaking anything as I use disposables. It might seem more complicated but it's actually easier.

I use Croakies to keep my eyeglasses on my face: even a small twig can fling eyeglasses off your face.

I wear a Sou'wester rainhat with the back brim around in front to keep rain off my eyeglasses.

I haven't had a problem with fog, however those face masks that pinch closed over your nosebridge area of your face will prevent your breath from fogging your eyeglasses if you have a problem.

I keep a special cloth for wiping eyeglass lenses in the little vinyl case provided for the cloth: never use a just any "soft cloth" that will scratch your eyeglasses.

There is a brand called "hides" that hold your eyeglasses in place. Maybe the cloth they have for wrapping around your eyeglasses when off your face - maybe that cloth is suitable for wiping your eyeglasses lens.

http://www.hides.com/products/hides-...-shorties.html
    Last edited by Connie; 03-08-2015 at 22:09.

Images
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Glasses will fog when the lens is cooler than the surrounding air if it's humid or if the lens is exposed to your breath, so I suggest warming them up in a pocket. For rain the rim on a baseball hat pulled low is good.

When I scuba dive I keep the face mask from fogging up by rubbing spit on the inside of the face plate. Haven't tried this on glasses while hiking... not yet anyway :-)
    Simple is good.

Lasik. Seriously, best personal investment I ever made. I went from 'need my glasses to find my glasses' to slightly better than 20/20 and it's been 9 years since the surgery. Slight halo effect from oncoming headlights when driving at night, but other than that annoyance it' been a perfect decision.

I use dive mask anti-fog gel on my Rx glasses. It helps, but doesn't totally eliminate the fogging. If you didn't get the Transitions lenses that darken when outside, then be sure to also get Rx sunglasses. I like the Bolle Vigilante sunglasses for their wrap-around protection and interchangeable lenses. I can put in clear, dark gray, or yellow lenses depending on conditions.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

+1 on the Croakies and Cat Crap mentioned above. Also, I always put my glasses in the same place every night when I go to sleep.

What kind of case do you use for your glasses? The hard case is way too heavy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    does it weight like a pound?? it may be worth the oz. or two to protect something.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Use the adjustable cord (croakies knockoff) because you can better adjust the length. The benefit will become apparent if you sweat like I do. Use a hard shell glasses case for nighttime. Wash your glasses as needed with clean water and dry them with a clean paper towel. No dirty bandannas. Any grit will scratch the lenses. Been hiking with glasses for years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

If your tent doesn't have an inside pocket, you might consider a mesh "attic" for the tent.

It is possible to use the ridgeline for a tarp.

I do not put them on the tent floor, or, on the ground.

The backpack shoulder strap accessory pockets are good for eyeglasses, if you are reasonably gently with your gear. I would not put them in a backpack waistbelt accessory pocket: too near the ground.

On or near the ground, any misstep could ruin your eyeglasses.

I do have a plastic hard shell case for my prescription Julbo Sherpa glacier glasses.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Dollar Stores have (or had) a nice hard plastic case that weighs about half an ounce and is pretty much crushproof. And of course, it was just a dollar. Mine came in a bright aqua that I can easily see in dim light without my glasses or contacts.

Get some of those silicone impregnated cleaning cloths for eyeglasses. The silicone will help keep the glasses from fogging up.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

When I first started wearing glasses I bought a pair that were $300+...I was afraid of losing or breaking them, so I got my prescription from the optometrist (you also need the pupil distance) and went to eyebuydirect dot com and bought a couple of backup pairs for between $7 and $20.

If you can afford it get some durable like ballastic quality rx sunglasses the breath well like Smith or WileyX or whatever, and get an extra set in a clear lens, then leave your nice glasses at home and only take your tough ones hiking.

Journal Entries

My husband uses the Cat Crap mentioned above. Seems to work well.
    Goofy name for a product!

Journal Entries

I often felt foolish for hauling an extra pair of RX glasses on my SOBO thru attempt last year, until I crunched my first, best, (transitions) pair. I arrived at a shelter freezing, laid them beside me while I changed into dry clothes, and blindly sat on them. Accidents happen out there. At the next town, I happened upon a eyeglass store, and they fixed them for free...well, it cost me a $5 tip. Sure I could have walked for a couple of days without them, but at the time, the few ounces carried for 1500 miles were absolutely worth it. The way some of us sweat over ounces cracks me up, in hindsight.
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    He's right, it really exists but it's more like a soap. It comes in a small round red container and it is called cat crap. You can use soap and rub it onto the glasses to keep them fog free. Carry a small piece. Also it may not sound sanitary but I swim as well. Most swimmers spit on their goggles and it works for me on my glasses.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++