WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Camp Shoes...No Croc

Hi everyone
    So I've been looking for a pair of camp shoes and if they could be used for water too that'd be great. I'll need something for fording waterways as well and thought multi-use is always the best! I cannot wear crocs or any type of knock off similar because they make my feet raw after only about 5 minutes (not a good deal at all!). Lightweight is a must. I have a pair of Keen waterproof sandals and they are awesome but way to heavy to carry. Would like something lighter weight. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Try a pair of "Slides" by Adidas and others. I find them more comfortable than flip flops could ever be and they are light weight.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Keen also makes a lighter weight toe-less shoe .....

http://www.theunderwearguys.com/prod...roducts_id=218

I just picked up a pair of these today as my camp shoes for my thru-hike. Seems to be perfect for kicking around camp or crossing rivers when you don't want your regular shoes / boots to get soaked.
    --
    Vinny, Aspiring 2016 AT NOBO
    Shameless blog plug: http://appalachiantrials.com/author/vinny-tagliatela/

I use the saucony hattori aw. It is their version of a minimalist runner but is fashioned similar to a water shoe. Very comfy to do some miles in and the AW stands for all weather and has a few adjustments. Super light and not too expensive and pack together as flat as a pair of flip flops. I could send some pics of mine if you would like to see em. Or you could just Google I guess. Good luck.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2000miler View Post
    http://www.theunderwearguys.com/prod...roducts_id=218

I just picked up a pair of these today as my camp shoes for my thru-hike. Seems to be perfect for kicking around camp or crossing rivers when you don't want your regular shoes / boots to get soaked.
    Those look really good! And at $9, how could you go wrong? I do believe I'll order some.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirsnappy09 View Post
    I use the saucony hattori aw. It is their version of a minimalist runner but is fashioned similar to a water shoe. Very comfy to do some miles in and the AW stands for all weather and has a few adjustments. Super light and not too expensive and pack together as flat as a pair of flip flops. I could send some pics of mine if you would like to see em. Or you could just Google I guess. Good luck.

these look sweet! Nice find.
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even know to ask.

Journal Entries

While in colder weather I have used trail shoes, but at other times I have just used my trail runners, I just leave them untied for 'camp shoe' mode. Yes sometimes they are wet/damp, but it's a minor inconvenience to me over the weight savings.

For water crossings I will bearfoot it, use the trail runners if they are already wet, or use the innersoles inside my 2nd pair of socks to make a watershoe. After using the make shift water shoes I will don my dry pr of socks and use the trail runners w/o the innersoles till they dry.

I thought about just using the 1 pair of shoes for everything but I really think my feet will need to feel as though they are getting a break at the end of each day...out of the all day hiking shoes, dry/air out and into a so to speak fresh pair of shoes to kick back in. I wouldn't ever go barefoot thru a body of water. To high a risk of cutting or injuring your feet and possibly ending a hiking adventure. To each their own though, it's not for me to judge or decide for others. I do have some troubles with my feet. Not horrible thus far in life but inevitable is what I'm told by the doctors so I just wanna pay attention to foot happy health. Well as much as one can on a 2200 mile hike!

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Bear:1952982
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirsnappy09 View Post

these look sweet! Nice find.
    Not a plug but I work for saucony. When they first released them the first thing I thought was camp shoe. I use them when I need to dry out my other shoes or when I wanna give my feet a break from my others. They feel great on my feet.

I should add that mine weigh in at 4.2 oz for the pair and there is a version without the Velcro strap that are lighter. I dont even notice them in my pack and wouldn't go without them. They are my luxury item.

Journal Entries

+1 on Adidas Slides. A classic.

I have Speedo slip-on mesh water shoes.

The no-slip rubber soles are good for stream crossings.

If you "google" water shoes, there are many to choose from.
    Last edited by Connie; 03-07-2015 at 19:45.

Caution the neoprene slippers are not waterproof. So if wearing around wet ground they will soak through. I have a pair of Sauconys and these but only use the Sauconys

I use a pair of slippers from ikea. They kind of look like the paper kind from hospitals. $1.99.

Images

Just got my Vibrobarefoot Pures (thanks to great recommendations here on WB) and they are awesome. Tried them on last night and I can't wait to put em to use in camp/water crossings. I did go a size down per suggestions I found on amazon and they fit snugly. My wife is already convinced and wants her own pair!
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HeartWalker View Post
    Caution the neoprene slippers are not waterproof. So if wearing around wet ground they will soak through. I have a pair of Sauconys and these but only use the Sauconys
    I got mine in the mail and they're not entirely waterproof, but they wring out pretty well and dried quickly. I think they'll make good light camp shoes for bumming around the campsite.
    --
    Vinny, Aspiring 2016 AT NOBO
    Shameless blog plug: http://appalachiantrials.com/author/vinny-tagliatela/

I take and wear a pair of Sketcher GOwalk, men's shoe. they can be worn like a tennis shoe, with out socks, water proof, have a hole in the back of the shoe which allows them to be attached to my pack. their weight 4oz per shoe. (avg)

Images

Vivobarefoot. Light as a feather.

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/...our=White/Grey

Another vote for Vivobarefoot, I love mine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++