WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Wives with husbands hiking AT this spring

Ahh I'm so excited for the husband. He is going to walk from GA to ME. My daughter did this. I started, but got busted at Delaware Water Gap. So now its his turn. Are you all sooo excited?
    Cake
    Virginia

Well I'm surprised no one has responded to this!!! (Maybe they're all busy packing mail drops!) I'm excited for you to be excited for your husband! It's a big deal, this!

So, is he going to keep a trail journal? If so, how might we read about his progress? And what is his trail name - if he has one yet.

Sorry you "got busted." Was that a knee or an arrest? ; - )

Everyone here wishes you both success for this journey!

I've been lurking hoping that this thread would fill up with comments from wives encouraging their husbands to do a 4-6 month hike. Espousing the personal growth and the tremendous benefits to a marriage. The joy they feel at helping their soul mate to achieve a lifelong goal while vicariously living through their adventure. Then I could show it to my wife to plant the seed!

Seriously though, Thats pretty awesome. Having a supportive spouse on a trip like this is huge. Its pretty cool that you and your daughter can all she stories and different detail and perspectives with him. When you went was he with you or have you all done it at different times alone?
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even know to ask.

Journal Entries
    Images

My wife and I will start around March 2016 after we retire this fall.
    Eric and wife's nickname is Mack

On the trail over the years, I have met quite a few ladies who were hiking because their husbands weren't interested or able. It is great to have the support of a spouse back home, be it husband or wife. Although a bit of advice - if your spouse comes to see you during the hike as mine did 3 times, it can make you a bit homesick, I was always in a bit of a funk for a day or so after she departed but soon got back in rhythm.

Best piece of advice my wife ever gave me: I was in southern Mass. and had severe tooth pain (an existing crown came off probably from eating 2-3 Snickers a day). I told my wife I was done and wanted to come home. She simply said "fine, come home - but you will spend the rest of your life thinking about finishing the trail". I immediately she that she was right (aren't they always? ). So i walked 3 (felt like 100) days into Dalton where I was fortunate enough to see a dentist and get things resolved.

good luck on the hike. One is very fortunate to have a spouse who is supportive of such a dream...or vacation...or act of foolishness.

Journal Entries
    Images

By the way- Mack is the amazon hiker who walks me in the ground when we day hike. As we plan and get ready for AT- we will be camping where she will- once again- show me what hiking is all about. Army "hiking" is not the same as this- and I was with mech/armor or Pentagon. She hiked all over to include Croatia. So my Mack will be the leader of our twosome. Meanwhile- I practice at the local Arboretum and walk 5-7 miles with 25-28 pound pack about 3 or 4 days a week to get in shape for this- just to keep up with my blonde Amazon.

Journal Entries

I am also curious about this. I have decided to do a March 2017 thru hike. My wife is not "Happy" I am doing this. But she said she is "understanding". I have wanted to do this for a long time now and I feel sooner is better than later. We do have a 4 year old son and she is currently due for another boy in early June. We have a very loving relationship. With that said, and the fact she gave permission, and said she will help with logistics....Should I feel guilty?

Quote Originally Posted by mark2017 View Post
    I am also curious about this. I have decided to do a March 2017 thru hike. My wife is not "Happy" I am doing this. But she said she is "understanding". I have wanted to do this for a long time now and I feel sooner is better than later. We do have a 4 year old son and she is currently due for another boy in early June. We have a very loving relationship. With that said, and the fact she gave permission, and said she will help with logistics....Should I feel guilty?

in your case, later is better than sooner. The wife is not happy and you will be leaving her with 2 little ones.That's quite a load. As is often said here, the trail ain't going anywhere and your kids will grow up and be out much sooner than you can imagine. Hike it later. I almost refrained from posting (due to the HYOH thing) but I believe that you asked for input. That's my $.02.

+1 on 4shot's statement. I was 32 then 34 when my children were born. They became my wife's and my life and job for 18+ years. Hiking became recreation for excape on occassional weekends. A thru hike, in a sense, is a 4-6 month job away from home and a totally new way of living seperate from wife and children. Should you feel guilty? I can't answer that. I just know that I would have felt guilty, for years later, for not doing my part of the job with my wife. Do the hike later. Your wife will "understand" even more and will also be "happy" to share the logistics with you. P.S. your Trail name can then be "No Regrets".

signed,
    A Happily married man for 33-father for 23 yares - 3 years from retirement - 4 years from Hiking the AT
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Journal Entries

Thank you gbolt and 4shot for your input. Its not exactly what I wanted to hear but makes perfect sense. I guess I was hoping to hear that I should just go for it. I am so torn between the loves in my life. My Family VS the solitude of the wilderness.

Thank you gbolt and 4shot for your input. Its not exactly what I wanted to hear but makes perfect sense. I guess I was hoping to hear that I should just go for it. I am so torn between the loves in my life. My Family VS the solitude of the wilderness.

mark, if it it is any salve, I too had always wanted to hike the trail...but put it off until the kids were gone. Hiked it when I was 50 and it remains one of my all time favorite life experiences. But would not place it above (or even near) raising my kids. One is simply recreation, the other is an almost sacred responsibility imo.

btw, appreciate your attitude towards feedback. Many (if not most) come on here 'asking for advice" with their minds made up. What they are seeking is approval.Regards.

From a stay-at-home-mom, please don't leave your wife for 6 months with two little ones. She needs you even if she's not saying it.

Journal Entries

Another option that may relieve the guilt and the itch to hike is to simply do a longish section. How far can you get if you were out for a month? It would be a sacrifice - for both of you - instead of being a sacrifice for her only.

Why not combine your loves and take your family camping somewhere off the beaten path? The trail will still be there later whether you go alone or with the whole crew, but getting your kids out there, anywhere, when they are young is very rewarding. It will get them started on a life of appreciating the outdoors.

Some pretty good smooching to be had out there once the kids go to bed as well which is always better than an unhappy wife at home.

My wife and I hiked the AT in 08' together. The big thing is to remember to hike the pace of the slowest person and we found that dividing the camp chores on a "permanent" basis works well (that way it becomes routine). As well, remember to take a zero day once in a while to see the sights or to break up the routine (like having a weekend from work) as you find out hiking sometimes is like a job.

No Mark, I don't think you should feel guilty, but rather you should put the trail off till the kids are older and ask your wife to forgive you for asking her to make such a difficult decision.

I mean really, she said yes, she sounds like an amazing person and you have the amazing opportunity to raise a family with her.

David

Journal Entries

Wow, I am amazed and impressed by all the responses. Thanks to all.

Journal Entries

YES. Family 1st. There will be time for YOU in the future. Old man here, but you asked.

Just section hike until the kids are a little older.

Two solutions come to mind. . . wait until the children are a little older and then all of you can go for section hikes. I once had a hiking partner bring his 2 1/2 year old daughter. She could almost out-hike me! She did hike a lot, but when she got tired, he carried her in one of those packs that has a child seat made into it. He took gear for her, and she loved it (now a teenager, she still does!) If you can't take both kids, then take turns with them.

OR - You can do your section hikes and hire someone to come in and help your wife out with the kids while you are gone. If you get a responsible teenager, your wife might even come with you for a short time, or she could maybe go to a day spa. If you make it worth her while, she could make your life a lot happier too.

Waiting until the kids are grown seems like a long time down the road, but if you keep your marriage happy, it will go faster than you think. It's easy to make some small compromises here, so work on that, and just know that the trail is going to be there a long time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++