WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default first time dumb questions

Looking at starting at springer and going for 5-6 days starting April 26th. I could punk out fast, or make it to deep gap NC,, who knows, I'm shooting for Dick's creek. As it gets closer, and I have never hiked the AT, I have some dumb questions.

Is my timing for the trip OK? seasonal/distance

What to do with unwanted food? small leftovers

What to do with garbage? freeze dry pouches with food in them

Bears,, hang food and garbage everynight?

Can I just get dropped off at the approach trail, as a novice and start hiking north with no worries?

Heres the BIG question.... This plan may seem stupid, but I need honesty.

When I get dropped off, That ride is a one way trip, I'm committed ,, I have to get myself home back to Central florida. My plan is to call the nearest car rental place, somehow get them to help me get a ride/cab to them, rent a car a drive home.

Thanks, I'm have more dumb questions, but this should do for now.

Journal Entries
    Images

Post I'll do my best

> What to do with unwanted food? small leftovers
    You carry it in, you carry it out. Period.
    Do NOT dump human food either in the woods, in a fire pit, or in any latrine.

> What to do with garbage? freeze dry pouches with food in them
    See above comment, except change "human food" to "food containers."
    Believe me, hikers do NOT want to see this on The Trail.
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=59997
    And, BTW, plastic does NOT burn in wood fires -- it melts.
    So don't believe those lazy slobs who toss their plastic into the fire pit and claim, "It'll burn."

> Bears,, hang food and garbage every night?
    Yes. Once a bear is taught that "human" equals "easy food," then that bear is as good as dead.
    And the person who helped make that connection basically signed that bear's death warrant.
    Worse, the person who has to carry out the execution is someone who did NOT become a game warden in order to kill bears.

> Can I just get dropped off at the approach trail, as a novice and start hiking north with no worries?
    Depends on how you define "no worries."
    Some newbies make it all the way to Katahdin. Others don't last for one day.
    You'll probably fall somewhere in between.

If you plan and prepare properly, you'll likely succeed in your plan.

> My plan is to call the nearest car rental place,
    > somehow get them to help me get a ride/cab to them, rent a car a drive home.

You'll have to arrange the ride to the car rental place on your own.
    Not even Enterprise ("We'll pick you up") Car Rental will go all the way to a trail head.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sittinguy View Post
    Looking at starting at springer and going for 5-6 days starting April 26th. I could punk out fast, or make it to deep gap NC,, who knows, I'm shooting for Dick's creek. As it gets closer, and I have never hiked the AT, I have some dumb questions.

Can I just get dropped off at the approach trail, as a novice and start hiking north with no worries?

When I get dropped off, That ride is a one way trip, I'm committed ,, I have to get myself home back to Central florida. My plan is to call the nearest car rental place, somehow get them to help me get a ride/cab to them, rent a car a drive home.

As for getting home - if you make it to Dicks Creek Gap you can hitch a ride or call a shuttle from Hiawassee, go into town and get a room at a hotel, eat, and figure out the rental car situation after you clean up and rest for a few hours. I also believe there is a hostel within walking distance of Dicks Creek Gap - that would be another option.

It should be pretty trivial to figure out how to get a car and get home, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

One way rental cars tend to get pricey.

I'd suggest a bus ticket back home. You should be able to hook up with a shuttler fairly easy in most areas to get to a bus pickup.

Images

Are you starting at Springer or at the Approach Trail as noted later in your post (add 9 miles, uphill, both ways)? Given the 5 or 6 day time frame it all adds up. The difference between the two end points is some 20 miles. Roughly 64 and 83 miles respectively from Springer, but 73 and 92 adding the Approach trail. 73 miles over 6 days is 12/day. But 92 (adding the Approach) over 5 days is 18+/day. So that's a really big range. 12 miles per day may not sound like a lot, but unless you are accustomed to hiking in the mountains, it will likely be all you want and more. You want to ENJOY the hike, not push to the point of exhaustion to make an arbitrary location. FWIW, Lots of hikers struggle making 10/mpd in the beginning. Also the shelter and established campsite locations tend to dictate good stopping points for the end of a day as there is usually water available nearby, so often these kind of determine daily stopping points and mileage. The weather can also cut the number of miles you can do, especially cold rain. Plenty of place to camp along the way. You want to make camp and eat before the sun goes down. There are other places to bail along the way if needed. Old saying, "It's about the smiles, not the miles."

If you don't have a trail guide like the GATC guide, or ATC companion, or AWOL guide that shows shelters, camps, roads, water sources, etc. get one.

Gallon ziplock for all garbage. Eat every morsel you prepare. Trash ziplock gets hung with food. So does cookware, toothbrush/toothpaste (sweet smell). See what other hikers are doing, but hanging it or bear box never hurt.

Make sure you practice pitching your tent/shelter/hammock a few times first. Also practice with your stove and cooking gear. Post a gear checklist here on WB. Don't worry about all the nickle and dime comments on a few extra pounds of gear weight that you may get, but pay attention to critiques regarding warmth of sleeping bag, clothing, and items that many see as missing or totally unneeded. An extra 5 lbs of slightly heavier gear won't ruin your hike, but being unprepared to deal with cold and/or rain will.

Hitchhike or shuttle to nearest town when done. I don't know the area, so you are on your own on that aspect.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries

Your plan is fine, if you can manage 15 mpd or so.

Carry out whatever you bring, you seriously have to ask this ??? . there are no garbage cans along trail. Plan on any at road crossings being locked as well. Eat all your food as well. Or else please do everyone a favor and just stay off the trail.
    Bring a gallon ziplock and put your trash in it. Do not cook food you dont want to eat, or more than you will eat.

Anywhere you stay in Hiawassee or other will be able to advise you on getting home. Bus works. Not hard, thousands have paved the way for you...
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-05-2015 at 05:35.

Thank you so much!, As for the garbage question, I just thought there would be somewhere like Neel gap where I could unload some garbage at my 1/2 way point. I always pack out my garbage when camping, but I've never camped more than 2 nights, and some of the meals I am thinking of bringing are 2 serving.

Some have mentioned getting a shuttle to get to Enterprise rental? What is this?

I am a little concerned about my sleeping bag,, Live in Florida, I have never even seen snow, and I'm 42.
    What should I expect in late April for temps?
    I have an Ozark Trail 30. Its kinda wimpy, but I've camped in the 40s with it and I was cold but got by. For cold temps my plan was to where my coat while sleeping, and possibly wrap up with a reflective blanket over the bag. That last part I have never tried, will it work/help?

woody gap and neel gap have garbage cans.

Journal Entries

Be open to opportunities and be flexible and you may be surprised. For my thru I had the big questions when to start and how to get down there also the question how to get back, but that was a long way off. Met someone who offered to drive me during her spring break, she also drove me home from Katahdin.

There we go.. Thanks

Also I am thinking of starting at the approach trail about a mile from springer on amicola park rd, not the falls.

Also I am thinking of starting at the approach trail about a mile from springer on amicola park rd, not the falls.
    that would be USFS 42, 1 mile north of Springer Mtn.

Images

It can be pretty cold in late April in the southern Appalachians. I would certainly be prepared for some nights around freezing or below. Heck, we had frost on our tents at Springer the first week in June several years ago.

Once you are done hiking, you can get a ride to the nearest town. From there you can get to Gainesville GA and get the bus home. Your other option is to drive yourself if possible, and then it's really easy to get back to your car and drive home. What will take you many days to walk is only a couple of hours driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

It said approach trail, I thought it was south of springer, my bad. I will have to rethink this. Any suggestions?

Wait a minute, I am looking at the intersection of amicaliua mt rd and amicola park rd,, looks like it is south of springer to me. Google maps has a little tree there at that intersection, and it says approach trail? I'm confused.

oh. when you typed 1 mile from springer i assumed you meant fs 42

Maybe a couple miles I guess. Am I correct this is south?

Images

Like about 8 miles. Some starters don't even make it to Springer on the first day on the approach trail.

Journal Entries

If you don't have a trail guide like the GATC guide, or ATC companion, or AWOL guide that shows shelters, camps, roads, water sources, etc. get one.
    Earlier someone made the above suggestion. I thought it was worth repeating. AWOL (www.theatguide.com) is less than $20 and absolutely worth every penny. You can also educate yourself about a lot of the basic issues by reading everything at www.appalachiantrail.org. We're happy to help, but you're going to get fragments from us, when what you need is comprehensive.

I thought it was 8 miles from amacola falls? Am I wrong?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++