WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need Help with "SPOT" custom help message

Hi all,

Hiking the JMT August 2015 and would like to know
    contact information in case of an emergency. i.e., lost
    or have a broken leg, etc.

Have searched the Yose-NPS web pages and can't find a phone number or email address
    to use in case of an emergency. Don't rangers respond to emergencies in the park?
    If not who does and were can I find their contact info?

Thank you all in advance.

If you ever have to use the SOS button on your SPOT, then you are pretty much telling the SPOT folks that you need Evacuation type of help. (just like calling 911) They then use your GPS location to determine Who to contact. From SPOT web site:
    "There is no message to edit for the S.O.S. alert. S.O.S. alerts along with your GPS coordinates are routed directly to GEOS International Emergency Response Coordination Center."

The "Custom" or "Help" signals are just different versions of the "Check-In/OK". You list the Personal (family and/or friends) that you choose to be contacted for each. I have the "Help" message sent to my wife's email saying; "I am not in any serious emergency. However, I do need to be picked up at this location" This message will only be used by me if lets say I am at a road crossing and maybe have twisted my ankle. This message ONLY is sent to my wife not the Search and Rescue type of folks.

I strongly suggest that you call the SPOT support at: 1 (866) 651-7768. They can better clarify your questions better than this forum site. In case of a real emergency you want the info in your settings set up correctly. Good (and Safe) Hiking.

StarMan

The custom help is not really intended for emergencies. I set my help message up to say "Non-emergency assistance required at this location. DO NOT ACTIVATE 911." I really only have this as a backup in case I'm in an area with no cellular service. There is no added message for the SOS button. Once you active it, your coordinates are sent to the GEOS Emergency Response Coordination Center who will contact the local rescue authorities. In your example, a broken leg would be an SOS; being lost, maybe or maybe not. Use the SOS only as you would use 911 - for true life threatening emergencies - and remember you are responsible for response costs unless you have the GEOS Member Rescue Benefit or some other insurance.

Here's the link for an outfitter who rents SPOT devices with lots of good background and set up instructions (examples are for a SPOT Gen2 but largely the same for the current Gen 3 model) https://www.lowergear.com/product.php?id=261

Here is how I use my SPOT 2:

"OK" Message: Used during the day when I'm taking a break. Usually one message sent around mid-day.

"Custom" Message: Used to indicate that I've arrived at camp and no further messages will be sent that day. Let's family know that I'm no longer moving and they don't need to expect another message that day.

"Need Assistance": This is the custom help and isn't designed to alert authorities. Rather, it is normally used to indicate some sort of delay or other difficulty that is not an emergency. In my case, I have set it up so that if I press it, I am indicating that I am using the SPOT SOS to help another hiker but that I am personally fine. This is important b/c if I see another hiker requiring help, I am morally obligated to call for help using the SPOT. But I don't want my family to think that I'm in personal danger. So I would send the needs assistance message and the SOS at the same time.

"SOS" Self explanatory - only in life threatening emergencies.

I don't use tracking.

Hope this helps.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I thank each of you for your input and suggestions.

I found the suggestion to use the "Custom" message button
    too notify (calm) my wife that I'm fine. Pointing out that the SOS button was activated for either my hiking partner or an injured hiker.

++ New Posts ++