WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Images

The cyclist may have been a douche but the mistake was that the hiker followed to take pictures or to confront the cyclist. Absolutely stupid, and as we know play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

So this guy struck a 65 year old woman? Because she was taking his photo after he hit her while riding his mountain bike? Hopefully they will be able to locate this guy with the photos she took.
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even know to ask.

Images

No the mistake was some punk assaulted a 65 year old woman. The story said they are talking with someone who was riding with the tough guy. They'll find the guy. He won't be that tough in lock up.

Where in this article do you get that the cyclist was young? Pack your personal prejudices away. When you get one side of a story you feel sorry for the poor mom in Vegas that was killed in a random road rage incident.......... uh huh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Speakeasy TN View Post
    Where in this article do you get that the cyclist was young? Pack your personal prejudices away. When you get one side of a story you feel sorry for the poor mom in Vegas that was killed in a random road rage incident.......... uh huh.....

where do you get that someone said he was young?
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even know to ask.

Who cares how old the cyclist was.

Unless the cyclist was a 66 year old women than you don't strike a 65 year old women. I don't care what she was trying to snap a photo of.

Images

+1 to this right there! Because what is funny is that if the facts as stated in the article remained the same, but 65 yo lady was the cyclist and the hiker was the "some punk tough guy" you'd be wanting to string up the hiker.

The problem remains is that she followed and she escalated the situation by doing so.

Everything I see on mountain biking sites says that bikes always yield to hikers. This guy thought he owned the trail, and didn't yield to the older lady. The article said that the confrontation was about who was supposed to yield.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    +1 to this right there! Because what is funny is that if the facts as stated in the article remained the same, but 65 yo lady was the cyclist and the hiker was the "some punk tough guy" you'd be wanting to string up the hiker.

The problem remains is that she followed and she escalated the situation by doing so.
    So, you're blaming the victim???
    Trillium

If the situation was reversed, I'd still be on the hiker side. The hiker has right of way, for safety reasons. (that said, I usually yield right of way, regardless, I'm not in that much of a hurry)
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Well, the next time someone doesn't drop something I'm just going to bang em in the mouth and tell the police it was their fault for not dropping the issue.

I'm pretty sure they'd be cool with that.

Somebody chases me down because they "might have been almost hit" and I would not respond well. You think the bike should always yield, I assumed whoever was going uphill had right of way. Either way that part was over. Chasing me down is aggressive behavior that would be met likewise. I'm not going to wait to see if granny is packing a gun. Neutralize threat and leave area is pretty reasonable response.

Images

I dont give a flying fig if she got in his face. a real man would keep his hands to himself.

Bikes rarely yield, even though they are always supposed to.

It's not always easy (or safe) for a biker to yield, but it's usually pretty easy for a hiker to step aside for a second. Common sense and simple courtesy on both sides.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    So, you're blaming the victim???
    At the point that the cyclist left the original incident and she followed she is not a victim, but is actively escalating the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    Bikes rarely yield, even though they are always supposed to.
    No, and they often don't follow road rules either, failing to stop for red lights and stop signs, passing stopped school buses, etc. But they complain loudly if you don't respect their right to the road.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Somebody chases me down because they "might have been almost hit" and I would not respond well. You think the bike should always yield, I assumed whoever was going uphill had right of way. Either way that part was over. Chasing me down is aggressive behavior that would be met likewise. I'm not going to wait to see if granny is packing a gun. Neutralize threat and leave area is pretty reasonable response.
    This is comical. You want to "neutralize the threat and leave"...an older woman who followed you to either discuss the situation, ask for an apology, or get adequate information to report you to the authorities. Wow I bet you are fun to walk through a big city with. Very poor choice of words.

A reasonable response is to apologize and deescalate the situation and end on fair terms or to take the tongue lashing like a man for making an error.

I don't really know the proper and accepted trail etiquette for the mixed trails but I just tend to get out of everyone's way if I am hiking or mountain biking. Sure downhill has a right of way but it is hard to give up while going uphill on a bike and loose momentum. I see the points to both sides of this but if you follow the golden rule life would be much easier.

I just hope the person questioned was the mountain biker's girlfriend so she will see what sort of guy she has dated.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Images

now you get it. It's not about how they encountered each other. It is about a man who resorted to violence to deal with his anger toward her. he's a punk.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++