WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Reds Meadow to Happy Isles

I want to do a section of JMT, but with the current quota system SOBO, I don't count my chances as very good to get a permit from Happy Isles toward Whitney. Is it possible to start at Reds Meadow and go NOBO to HI? Is this even feasible? Thanks in advance!

Images

As far as I know, yep. Should be pretty easy. Can make the reservations online at Recreation.gov
    I recently made reservations for Cottonwood pass to Onion Valley, will be going online later today for Bishop to Onion Valley. Fairly easy process, but know what you want for an itinerary. Most of the possible campsites they list for building your itinerary are not the ones you want, just got to do the best you can. Good thing they have "other/don't know" option.
    Good thing about this system is that you know immediately if the reservation is your's. No apply, then wait.

I don't believe there is an exit quota at Happy Isle. That is where the big hassle comes in, coordinating entrance date and exit permits. If you exit somewhere with no exit quota, it's much easier. I would get online ASAP, however, the dates fill pretty quick for the popular window of time.

Another advantage to what you are proposing is the extremely easy and cheap pubic transportation you will have at both ends and in between. No shuttle will be needed at all.
    Last edited by Lyle; 03-02-2015 at 04:17.

I would think it's easy to get a permit starting NOBO from Red's Meadows.

The first 2 days of your hike will be the best, featuring gorgeous lakes whose names - Garnet, Emerald, Ruby - says it all. My campsite by Garnet Lake is in my top 5 all-time backpacking sites.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 03-02-2015 at 10:01.

+1 on the Garnet Lake camp site. I could not stop taking photos. As the water calmed, and the light changed, (as seen in Cookerhiker's photos) the views kept evolving.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

There are many Inyo trailheads in the Red's Meadow/Agnew Meadow/Devils Postpile area that can be used to access the JMT and there are no current restrictions on entering Yosemite from the south. Probably the best way to do a JMT hike under the current system is to reserve a permit going northbound from one of the Inyo Trailheads, hike to Happy Isles, then flip back to Mammoth and hike southbound under a different permit. Since the hike toward HI should only take 3-5 days, it wouldn't be hard to reserve a permit going southbound since it should be easy to predict the date of the flip. There is a daily bus from Yosemite Valley to Mammoth in July and August (weekends in June and September). The advantage of the flip flop is somewhat easier acclimatization compared to a northbound thru hike, which also should be relatively easy for permits if starting from Horseshoe Meadow rather than Whitney Portal.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Sorry for the silly question. I'm just beginning the process of planning for the JMT. Do you need to reserve campsites along the trail, not just your entry and exit spots?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No need to reserve specific campsites. All you need is the permit good for an entry trailhead. Then you can camp wherever you want within the limits of the rules of the jurisdiction you are in and common LNT practices. Only exception is when entering at Happy Isles in Yosemite, some permits specify that the first night must be in little Yosemite Valley. After that you can camp wherever you want.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I believe camping is forbidden in the Whitney zone.
    I think that is correct except for trail and outpost camps.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Great info!! Thanks to all who responded. This takes the "sweat" out of the aplication process!

i actually have 2 spots just come available for my permit from, happy islles to reds meadows. if interested let me know.

Permit ID:
    Entry Date: 06/13/2015
    Entry Trailhead: Happy Isles->Little Yosemite Valley
    Exit Date: 06/22/2015
    Exit Trailhead: Red's Meadow
    Number in Party: 4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ntgilger View Post
    Sorry for the silly question. I'm just beginning the process of planning for the JMT. Do you need to reserve campsites along the trail, not just your entry and exit spots?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My experience, a couple of weeks ago. When making reservations via the Recreation dot Gov site, you are asked for your nightly itinerary. One of the options for selecting you nightly campsites is "Not Known/Other" so it isn't really a big deal. However, if your trip will be longer than 14 days, you will need to indicate in your itinerary that you will be leaving INYO and camping in SEKI at some point. Otherwise the computer will assume you are staying in INYO and not allow you to register because you are staying beyond the time limit. Just make sure to indicate some sites in SEKI (they are readily identified in the list) prior to day 14, I believe it was. You are not locked into these sites, so don't worry about that, just gotta let the computer know that you will be leaving INYO for part of the trip.

This messed up me getting my permit until I figured it out.

Journal Entries

Easy enough this year.
    I expect these type permits to be very very hard to get next year . The exploding popularity and social media is making all alternate avenues of getting on the trail well known.

Journal Entries
    Images

Agreed, I don't think that it should be tough. I suggest heading down Fish Creek & through Iva Bell hot springs & into VVR if you're not opposed to get off the Beaten Path, JMT. Whatever you decide, Have a Blast, you're gonna Love it!!!!
    ~Boots~
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

++ New Posts ++