WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trail in Damascus

I am planning a plant walk in Damascus during Trail Days. Because we'll be looking at the plants, the distance will be short, about 1 - 1/12 miles each way (total of 2-3 miles). I'd like the starting point to be in town so that folks can walk or take town shuttle, and in other words avoid car pooling issues.

Sundog and In the Country have both been suggested to me as good meeting places, however I would really like to get off the false turf of the Creeper Trail as quickly as possible and onto dirt trail as this is where the plants are!

Can anyone tell me how far of a distance it is from each of these points (Sundog and In the Country) it is to dirt trail? Would I be better off starting on the other end of town and going south on the trail to hit wood sooner? I thru-hiked in '08....but honestly the details of the trail here are a bit of blur! Thanks y'all and I hope to see there!

Cerridwen, as a fellow plant enthusiast, I can totally relate to wanting to get away from it all and check out the flora. Usually during TD, our hiking group does a Mt. Rogers hike (beautiful but not much in the way of good wild edibles because of the alpine tundra), and the Iron Mountain Trail (the old AT). I can tell you there is a lot of great wild edibles that time of year, but mostly at the lower elevations. Unless you plan on driving, you will be pretty much on the road for the distance you describe. Although, I admit I am no Damascus expert

The two places you describe are only about 5 minutes from each other, so FWIW they will both work.

What group are you organizing? I always enjoy hooking up with other plant nerds (and fellow goddesses )!
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I think its about .25-.5 mile on the Creeper from the Ice Cream shop to the Stairs.

I would either go up Holston Mtn & go South, or have your group meet at Taylors Valley and walk South. Or go down to Backbone to avoid the crowds.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

Google is your friend!

In the Country is .3 miles to the trail. Sundog is .4 miles to the trail.

On the other end of town, the trail comes in right where all the vendor booths are.

Thanks for your help y'all! As Trail Days nears I'll have more info about the walk at my website: http://thebotanicalhiker.blogspot.com/ and on the Trail Days website. I'll also be at the author's tent with my book, "A Guide to the Edible and Medicinal Plants of the Mountains to Sea Trail", stop by and say hello!

++ New Posts ++