WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I must have missed the point a bit because I would ADD more weight in the area of food than the 20 oz per day listed unless you need to or want to drop pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    I must have missed the point a bit because I would ADD more weight in the area of food than the 20 oz per day listed unless you need to or want to drop pounds.
    What would you all recommend to plan on for food per day? I'm 5'11 150 so I don't have a lot to drop. I was also doing some research about maintaining weight on the trail / making sure to get enough calories out there, but I think that's a whole other thread.
    --
    Vinny, Aspiring 2016 AT NOBO
    Shameless blog plug: http://appalachiantrials.com/author/vinny-tagliatela/

You could lose all the different electronics and get an iPad mini with Verizon for 312 grams total. That would replace each one of the separate electronics on your list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel View Post
    You could lose all the different electronics and get an iPad mini with Verizon for 312 grams total. That would replace each one of the separate electronics on your list.
    I replied separately above but I hate staring at an LCD screen, hence the kindle paperwhite, which seems to be a good middlegorund between a heavy book and an iPad. I'll be taking the iPhone though, mostly so I can listen to the Game of Thrones audiobooks at some point during the hike

I'm also ditching the bluetooth keyboard as suggested earlier in this thread, I'll be fine tapping out my journal entries at EOD. Don't know what I was thinking before, including that as a necessity.
    --

Got rid of the Spot as it ate batteries, so I was carrying spares 3 AAA is a lot of extra weight for a light that you can ride your bike with. The e-lite uses small 2032(i think) battery, I used 2 batteries from Daleville to Katahdin and still have the second battery in the lamp, and I used it to hike for 4 hours at night the other day. Not great for that but I knew the track.

Taz

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I replaced the syringe for back flushing my sawyer with a smart water sport bottle top ( i think i got the idea on here ). Its fits perfectly and seemed to work well the times I have used it.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    I replaced the syringe for back flushing my sawyer with a smart water sport bottle top ( i think i got the idea on here ). Its fits perfectly and seemed to work well the times I have used it.
    Nice idea, I'm gonna try that out! Would be nice not to need the syringe.
    --

For rain pant, do you recommend keeping for cold start / end, but sending back for warm weather? I was on the fence for the longest time of whether to even take rain pants.
    I tried rain pants and didn't like them. They may be great for having in camp and provide additional insulation against the cold, but I sweat so much underneath when hiking in them that they became useless. I'll be taking an umbrella this time around

I'm also ditching the bluetooth keyboard as suggested earlier in this thread, I'll be fine tapping out my journal entries at EOD. Don't know what I was thinking before, including that as a necessity.
    You might want to try practicing first. Do a few journal entries this week using just what you plan to bring. If you don't like it, either try to get used to it or go ahead and take your keyboard. The whole combination is 1 lb, 1.4 oz which is a lot actually (I'd practice till I got really used to tapping out the journal).

I don't see a camera in your list. Some people like to double up their iPhone as a camera. IMO this is a very bad idea b/c you'll take far fewer pictures, primarily b/c you're worried about battery usage on your iPhone, low on charge, out of charge, etc. You'll miss out on a LOT of good pictures. Take a camera. I used an Olympus TG-1 on my thru-hike and took over 6000 pictures with it (wish I took more). It is waterproof, shockproof, and has GPS so I know exactly where every picture I took was.

It's all about what you're comfortable with and what you USE. Some say it's NEED vs WANT and that's true to a degree, but if you have something and definitely plan to use it EVERY day, then bring it.

Some things you won't use every day (like rain gear) but when the time comes to use it and you choose not to, then get rid of it.

If it's not a whole lot of extra weight, bring it and try it out. When you hit Neel Gap and you realize you didn't use it like you planned, send it home.

Good luck!
    Flatfoot
    AT 2013, GA->ME
    PCT 2017, Mexico->Canada

Images

++ Great light weight list. The stove, a soto is 3oz. I am a very cold sleeper and use a WM Aspinlite + overfill most of the time. A 30 d bag even with the liner might be a close call.

I bought the stove on sale at REI, so returning shouldn't be an issue.

I was thinking of picking up the Snow Peak LiteMax cannister stove instead. Question, for cannister fuel, do you have to buy a new cannister every time you want to refuel? You can't pour in fuel to refuel like you can with white gas, correct?

Also, I'm not starting until April. Do you all think a 30 degree Zpacks bag + silk liner will be enough?
    --

Images

The butane canisters cannot be refilled. I did a NOBO section from Springer a couple years back in April with a 30* quilt and a silk liner and I was fine, a good insulating pad makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    The butane canisters cannot be refilled. I did a NOBO section from Springer a couple years back in April with a 30* quilt and a silk liner and I was fine, a good insulating pad makes a huge difference.
    That's good news. I'm bringing a Thermarest Neoair Xlite. Hope that will be enough.
    --

If you decide to keep the whisperlite be sure it is the international model.
    Can lose over 1/2 pound with a canister stove. I don't like alcohol, personal preference.
    Ditch most of the electronics.
    Find lighter camp shoes, if any at all. I like vivobarefoot pures.
    A standard toque or wool buff is more versatile than the goose hood.
    Petzl e+lite is all I have ever needed.
    Houdini or other lighter wind shirt/jacket.
    Wrap duct tape on poles, out of pack.
    Not completely sold on the down sweater. I have one but prefer primaloft or fleece.
    Love my MH microchill.

Well, I swung by REI yesterday to return my Whisperlite and pick up the Snow Peak Litemax cannister stove. Man, what a difference in weight! And it's pretty much idiot-proof. Seems like there is plenty of cannister fuel available on the trail as well.

Getting excited to try out this gear in my shakedown hikes this year. Just booked a trip to the Cascade mountains in Washington to hike a week with my buddy along part of the PCT, and the Chicago Backpacker's Association here in Chicago will be doing trips as soon as the weather here turns warmer.

One year away!
    --

Try getting a lighter stove

Why aren't people who like to electronically journal on their hike not using voice recognitions apps on their devices instead of keyboards or the touch screen? Certainly they are accurate enough to record everything and then, if necessary, quickly edit later. I think a light tablet is OK if it is a replacement for a paper guide book weighing about the same. I.E...get the AT guide as PDF and carry it on your tablet instead of carrying the book.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++