WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Longest resupply (in miles) from GNP-Rawlins

I'm doing my first rough resupply draft getting an idea of distance between resupply points.

Question 1: Am I correct that the resupply from East Glacier to Benchmark Ranch is one of (if not the) longest stretch without resupply between GNP and Rawlins?

Question 2: Am I correct in assuming that resupply "isn't going to be all that difficult" between GNP and Rawlins? It looks fairly straightforward.

Question 3/4: Are there any long waterless stretches between GNP and Rawlins that I need to be aware of - what is a good resource for water sources along the CDT?

Garlic
    Images

It's been a few years, but my old planning notes show a longish (120+ mile) carry into Darby, MT, rivaling the carry to Benchmark. There may have been some shorter options but maybe I didn't want to hitch--I don't remember.

I don't remember any water carries much over 20 miles, maybe 25 max, in that area, including in the Red Desert. It can be a dry area but I don't remember ever going very thirsty, since there's lots of cattle with developed springs and wells. But again, it's been many years and I gave away the maps and books long ago. I used Ley's maps which had plenty of water notes, and Jim Wolf's books. I hear there are electronic resources now.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Ah... I missed that - I'm guessing you went from Wisdom to Darby?

You didn't happen to drop in at Sula Country store did you?

According to the notes we made before our second hike, it's about 117 miles from E. Glacier to Benchmark, 122 miles from Chief Joseph Pass (Wisdom, Darby, Sula or Salmon) and Leadore and 118 from Dubois to Big Sandy and 117 from Atlantic City to Rawlins.

You will want to send resupply boxes to Benchmark, Big Sandy and Atlantic City or do the long hitch into Augusta, Pinedale and Lander. The stores in Lima, Leadore, Macks Inn, W. Yellowstone are also very small (i.e. Gas station minimart at Leadore).

It is 15 miles from East Glacier to Marias Pass, 35.6 miles from Marias to near Badger Pass, and 84.3 miles from Badger Pass to Benchmark on the official route. That totals 134.9 miles and was definately my longest stretch on the CDT. Taking the Spotted Bear Alternate cuts off 16 miles and is highly recommended over the official route. I assume that is how Spirit Walker went to get the 117 mile number. (Almost everybody does Spotted Bear - the official routing has never made much sense to me in this instance.)
    Last edited by bearcreek; 02-24-2015 at 17:16.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    According to the notes we made before our second hike, it's about 117 miles from E. Glacier to Benchmark, 122 miles from Chief Joseph Pass (Wisdom, Darby, Sula or Salmon) and Leadore and 118 from Dubois to Big Sandy and 117 from Atlantic City to Rawlins.

You will want to send resupply boxes to Benchmark, Big Sandy and Atlantic City or do the long hitch into Augusta, Pinedale and Lander. The stores in Lima, Leadore, Macks Inn, W. Yellowstone are also very small (i.e. Gas station minimart at Leadore).
    According to the West Yellowstone, MT Chamber of Commerce:

• FOOD ROUND-UP

Add to Travel Planner
      Details107 Dunraven Street
      West Yellowstone, MT 59758

[email protected]
      Map It

The Food Roundup Supermarket has a great selection of meats, fresh produce, and groceries. From picnic to feast, you'll find what you need at the Food Roundup. We are located at the corner of Madison and Dunraven in West Yellowstone. Open 7 days a week. Come see us!

• MARKET PLACE

Add to Travel Planner
      Details22 Madison Avenue
      West Yellowstone, MT 59758

Map It

Full service supermarket. Hot and cold deli, bakery, videos, Montana State Liquor Store, pull thru parking, largest in the area. We accept MasterCard and Visa.

However, as I recall from a bike trip many, many Moons ago, it is a long way uphill and downhill from Mack's Inn to West Yellowstone. How far is it from the CDT to West Yellowstone? Mack's Inn was a lot less hectic and Gatlinburg like than West Yellowstone.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Sorry, you're right. I was thinking of the campground store at Old Faithful, not the town, which has a very nice grocery.

No worries. Just getting some current information out to the folks.
    The Old Faithful store, from my visits there, is geared toward RV folks. OK in a pinch, but not for a full resupply. Besides, the best time to view the geyser basin is sunrise and an hour or so after. When nobody is there. Then get out before the tour buses arrive.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Old Faithful Village is on my "mail drop" list. I'll be taking the Mack's Inn alternate and from what I can see that rules out West Yellowstone.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Old Faithful Village is on my "mail drop" list. I'll be taking the Mack's Inn alternate and from what I can see that rules out West Yellowstone.
    Good choices.
    A really good husband would spend some time shopping for a nice piece of Navajo jewelry in the Hamilton Store at Old Faithful. I have an agreement with my wife: She will let me go to Yellowstone if I bring her a piece of jewelry.
    Good luck!

Wayne

++ New Posts ++