WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: handles

Default handles

Cork handles sound like they would be really nice to me. Wondering about pros and cons of different types of handles/your experiences... or does it really matter/make a huge difference at all?

I was wondering the same thing. I've got some cheap ones from Walmart that have rubber handles. They feel real good to me but these things are heavy.

Journal Entries

My first poles had rubber handles. Now I use Leki poles with cork handles. My hands are sometimes wet, either with sweat or sometimes with rain. I find that the cork feels drier and more comfortable in those situations.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I actually really like the dense foam (not the rubber ones) handles that Black Diamond uses on a lot of their poles, I actually find it more comfortable than cork...but then again that's just me.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    My first poles had rubber handles. Now I use Leki poles with cork handles. My hands are sometimes wet, either with sweat or sometimes with rain. I find that the cork feels drier and more comfortable in those situations.
    Same here. Definitely cork handles from now on for me.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

I like cork handles. In 2002 I guys handles were totally eaten by mice.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

I'm seriously considering a pair of bicycle gloves for warm weather. wt 2 oz. also good for wiping sweat off your forehead and eyes.

My friend has Leki poles with cork handles. She has completed 400 plus mile of the AT with them...
    I have only used Walmart poles with plastic handles... I am on my 3rd set in 500 plus miles on the AT.

NOTE: I REALLY needed my poles in PA last year when they broke....Luckily, my friend was willing to give me one of hers. It really sucked that I had to carry mine out. I am buying QUALITY poles this year!!!

Moral of the story: Walmart poles work for first time hikes. Walmart poles work until you get serious. Beyond that, pay the extra money!
    Disclaimer: I am overweight...but then again, so is my friend! Perhaps, skinny people can use cheap poles without any issues.

I'm an expert on cork handles as I use Black Diamond alpine carbon cork poles and I'm on my third pole (only use one while hiking) in about 5 years. The cork disintegrates over time and enough miles and cannot be replaced as far as I know, although I did get some foam bicycle grips and hack sawed the top knob off and slid one down the handle shaft etc. Boring subject.

I emailed Black Diamond about the problem of the sorry cork and of course never got a reply. A giant uncaring company? You decide.

BUT---cork is nice at 0F and doesn't freeze off the hands.
    BUT---I would never get cork again and instead go with something like hard rubber.

This is not my picture as I pulled off the interweb but this is what happens with cork---it slowly starts breaking off, then it splits, and then big chunks fall off.

Some guy on the website says "APPLY CORK SEALER" and I agree. Here's what I bought online---

So before every trip I apply a new coat. It's sort of like Elmer's glue and dries to a hard shiny surface, but flakes off after about 3 weeks of hiking. It keeps the cork from breaking off as in the top picture.

I like cork handles but my current set of poles is a pair of BD Trail that have the dense foam described by Sarcasm. I've found that this is more comfy than the cork I used to love so much and am likely to consider myself a convert to the dense foam unless something really bad happens to change my mind. So far a few hundred miles in no issues at all with the Trail poles.

I really like the Aeron foam rubber grips on my Leki poles. I've had them for about a year now, and they've helg up great so far. DEET will disolve foam and cork grips, so be careful if you use repellant. I also pair my poles with bicycle gloves... Both for the hand protection and terry cloth patch to wipe my face. I found that on gloves with the Velcro at the wrist, the pole strap would catch on the Velcro. Now I use a pair of Troy Lee Designs gloves that use elastic instead of Velcro to secure the wrist.
    Last edited by Maui Rhino; 02-25-2015 at 16:10.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

++ New Posts ++