WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Suspect Wanted for Violent Crime on the AT!

This is concerning. He's been on FB AT THru Hiker pages posting fairly recently. He's still out there as far as I know. Pass it on and look out for your selves. Until they catch this guy we have to be aware.

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-region...point/31316036

According to the comments, he's a serial offender and uses similar stories - hiking or biking - often, before robbing the victim and then stealing their car to make his getaway.

Per his MO, he's probably already out-of-state and far from the AT, but caution is warrented nevertheless.

Thanks for posting this.

Don't befriend him on Facebook, and be wary of "hikers" carrying AK-47s.

Got it.

i just read the posting and i didn't get the part were he is on the AT or near it the crime took place away from the AT and he is no where near the AT so i don't understand how this has anything to do with AT related issues.

The crime took place at an AT shelter.
    And this was the 2nd time he's done it.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    i just read the posting and i didn't get the part were he is on the AT or near it the crime took place away from the AT and he is no where near the AT so i don't understand how this has anything to do with AT related issues.
    "McGinty told the victim he was hiking the Appalachian Trail and staying at a trail shelter in the rear of the property."

Yards away from the AT. Eckville Shelter, Hawk Mountain Road..

Sounds like he isn't a hiker but a local who scouts the area looking for handouts under the guise of a hiker? What stinks is that people who do this makes everyone think that hikers are thugs and thieves. Ruins it for the good guys
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

OK i reread the posting.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    OK i reread the posting.
    i must have missed something the first time

Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    Sounds like he isn't a hiker but a local who scouts the area looking for handouts under the guise of a hiker? What stinks is that people who do this makes everyone think that hikers are thugs and thieves. Ruins it for the good guys
    I'd hardly call kidnapping, auto theft and forcible withdrawals from an ATM (or as the the report calls it "violent robbery and kidnapping"), looking for a handout.

If the shelters in the rear of the property than wouldn't that make the house the caretakers? That is if I'm thinking of the right shelter.

Kind of curious what will become of it, it had a shower if I remember correctly, would be a shame to see it shutdown.

Images

The AK-47, which belonged to the homeowner, has not been recovered, police said.
    Sigh.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

You don't have an AK-47?

Journal Entries
    Images

Lets not blame the AK.
    JB (South Side aka Tear Drop) and Stacy (Snacks aka Redemption) 2014/2015 - Rebuilding The Unbreakable....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw
    New2theWild - come follow us!!

Just did an overnight around the Pinnacle/Hamburg Reservoir area. Happy to say that we did not run into him.

Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    Demeter and others,

From what it sounds like to me, this guy has some basic knowledge of the trail and the hiking community. If his guy is carry a weapon, threaten people with a weapon and has been on the AT at least twice, then anyone hiking the AT should be on the look for this nut. Over the years there has been several criminals that were hiding out on the trail - some that were very dangerous.

Wolf

It's a guy's private residence, he has a small shed in the back for hikers, and a shower

Quote Originally Posted by Booshay View Post
    It's a guy's private residence, he has a small shed in the back for hikers, and a shower
    not a private residence
    http://www.bmecc.org/at.html

https://www.facebook.com/ravynn1

https://www.facebook.com/glenn.mcginty.507

both profiles are his, and include numerous pictures of the trail taken over the past couple years, some recently... this guy may be out there, stay alert

last posted on the second profile two days ago, after the crime and story broke

Images

Click on his FB contact info it's a link to some pagan-wiccan web site.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++