WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 4 Day Hiking Trip on Part of Georgia Section

Hey there, my name is Anthony. So I know this is going to be odd for many people, but for my bachelor party, I've decided that I want to go on a four day hike on the Georgia section of the Appalachian Trail. It's going to be me and 4 other guys, all of us in pretty good shape between the ages of 21 and 26. So, my question is I want to go on a hike that will be sort of challenging, yet is doable in 4 days. Just need some advice from some experienced hikers on what would be the best choice for me with some awesome views and a fun hike. If you need more information please do not hesitate to ask. Also, a couple guys don't have much money, and I'm not the richest guy either. So any advice on saving money, little tips that you've picked up is greatly appreciated.

Journal Entries

You might want to specify when you are planning this.
    Water can get scarce at times, other times are extremely hot and you would be better off at 5500 ft a few miles north in NC.

It might be kind of difficult to find a stripper on the AT

Images

What kind of gear do you already own? Any hiking experience? How long before the wedding would you do the hike?
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by surfnturk View Post
    It might be kind of difficult to find a stripper on the AT
    you could plan the hike to coincide with Hike Nekkid Day
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

It's next weekend, march 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th. I have flashlights, warm clothes, might borrow a simple two man tent, need a sleeping bag(suggestions?), maybe need a water purifier?

I'd say a minimum list would include:

Pack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent, water filter (sawyer filter), food bag, rope, stove (pocket rocket ~$40), fuel, pot. Hydration system or 2 1-L water bottles. This is not a complete list, but the absolute essentials.

REI Perimeter rents gear; perhaps get what you need there.

A cheap and decent sleeping bag would be the marmot trestles 30. I own it. I like it. It is heavy. Gram weanies would say it is to way, way way to heavy. I don't mind. It is only weight. People tend to make weight into a monster. I have taken it down to mid teens without a problem, but I sleep very warm. It would run about $110.

I suppose you don't technically need a pad, but even I wouldn't hike without one. You can get a cheapy for 35$ ridgerest. You can get the REI flash for 100$. You could go super cheap and ineffective and get blue foam pad from Wally world.

I hope it helps on the gear. No offense, but it kind of sounds like you are unprepared.

As for where, I guess I'd suggest Woody Gap to Neel Gap. About 10 miles. If you get there, then go to Hogpen Gap which is another 7 miles. Then your next stop would be Unicoi Gap, which is another 14.3 miles.

It is hard to make predictions for others because everyone hikes at their own pace. I am sure I could do this 32 mile section in 2 days with time to spare. Most novices average 8-10 miles on the AT. At 8 miles a day, that would be a descent 4 day hike with Big Ceder Mountain, Blood Mountain, Cowrock Mountain as the highlights.

It also gives you easy bailout points at the spots I indicated above.

You are correct about being unprepared... lol. I've hiked at AT before but it was a a years ago. I would like it to be an annual thing for me. The AT is beautiful. Thank you for the advice though, I seem to remember hiking woody gap last time at some point.

This is a good question, a friend of mine feels that it is necessary to take his pistol with him, any word? I don't think it's necessary, I think it'll be extra weight, but opinions are welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by greentick View Post
    you could plan the hike to coincide with Hike Nekkid Day
    The idea of hiking nekkid sounds fun, but it would probably really suck. You'd be exposed to the elements like crazy haha

Where should I go to get these accessories?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but I'll reply after the fact. With 4 days, any two sections would be good or you could start at Woody Gap and to to Amicalola. This was a chamber of commerce weekend for the Georgia ATC with highs in the 60s and lows in the 30s Saturday and Sunday. Other than the weight, you could buy all your gear at Walmart and do just fine this weekend. A camp bag with a fleece blanket would keep you toasty.

For the doubters, this was a great beginner weekend. Beautiful days, cool nights and enough deadfall down from recent ice storms to keep your fire stoked without having to unpack your hatchet. It was like hiking in April but without all the crowds.

I hope AntJ and friends had a good time and return to give us a trip report.

++ New Posts ++