WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Crossfit class 3x a week. Full range of motion.

Images

i exercise on WB by running at the mouth, stretching the truth and jumping to conclusions
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

flyfish: I have a relative who does occasional training hikes at Crowder Mtn park.... where in SC do you live? he's near Charlotte. just curious.

Otherwise, your workout routine looks great to me, you're doing more than 90% of hikers at home. I have a 23 story beach condo just 0.25 miles from my house, there's an enclosed concrete staircase at each end of the building, and the tourists prefer the elevators, so I have it all to myself. So I do staircase repeats with a weighted pack...year round. The condo Maintenance Dept manager knows me and gave me a wristband that I use to get past security. Security is tight over there during spring break. anyways, it's usually an hour up n' down, sometimes an hour and a half. The reward is the fantastic beach view at the top floor. (I'm not talking about the bikinis, although that's not bad either) Best to do this just before sunsets..... On hot, humid summer days, that staircase is like hiking in a sauna.... I've lost 4-5 pounds some days. Like another said, it's the downhills that get you in the mountains. Keep it up, you're doing great.

QUOTE=FlyFishNut;1948672]Staying fit for hikes or just being fit in general: I'm going to add some hiking specific exercise to my existing regimen. If anyone has some good workouts that are hiking specific, please share.

A typical week for me is:
    2x - 3x per week - personal trainer at our small gym. 1hr of stations for 3 rounds. Weights, core and cardio (with an emphasis on specific body parts), ie tonight might be legs, or Bi/back or Chest/tri. We do tons of weighted lunges, box jumps and squats on leg day that help with hike readiness.

2x - trail running minimum of 5mi, max of 8mi and sometimes if I feel froggy 10mi on wooded trails (nothing paved). If it isn't wet, I will go to the USNWC and Mt bike 9mi-13mi in lieu of a trail run. Lots of great climbs that leave you feeling like you might puke.

Sporadically thrown in every couple weeks: Hike at Crowder's Mt with a weighted pack, or just 6-7mi easy hike at the ASC Greenway with the dog.

WHAT I WANT TO ADD: My gym has a stair machine. I think I will start either wearing my jihad looking weight vest or a weighted pack and doing long stints on this machine. I am also going to start doing more weighed "step ups" on a bench or high riser to simulate hiking up hill. Maybe add dead lifts?

Any ideas of some more exercises to add??[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Praha4; 02-23-2015 at 21:41.

Kettlebells and daily hikes.Plus,thanks to DelQ,yoga!.I believe he said "its a win,win".He was right.Great for my back and lots to look at.Thanks Del.
    I walk up hills,and then walk down

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

For me, the most important training is that I walk to work, with a daypack loaded down with books and heavy computer gear. (I can go out for a summer weekend with less weight than I lug to work.) It's about a 20-25 minute walk for me each way, with a little bit of elevation change (<300 feet, but every little bit helps.) The key point is that I do it every single day, rain or shine, hot or cold, even wearing facemask and goggles in a -40 windchill. I never seem to get on trail enough to find my "trail legs", but at least the first incline doesn't kill me.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    flyfish: I have a relative who does occasional training hikes at Crowder Mtn park.... where in SC do you live? he's near Charlotte. just curious.
    [/QUOTE]

The hike up the condo stairwell sounds fun (not really, but effective!).

I'm in Fort Mill - just across the state line and the ASC Greenway is 5 min from my door, which is nice.

I walk. Our town has walking trails. On a weekend day, I go do 8.5 miles in 2.25 hours on a forest trail. 4 days a week now, I go to the gym around 8 PM. I do 20 minutes (80 to 85 flights) of stairs on the StairMaster. I often do 30 minutes on the elliptical (on like the "variable" setting). I use the weight machines also, maybe 20 to 30 minutes worth. I do NOT sit on the machines! I get on that stairmaster and do my 20 minutes...I get off, wipe it down, move to a weight machine, adjust, lift/push/whatever 20 reps, move to next machine. I see SO many people, they SIT on the machine, looking at their phones. Then adjust the machine. Then sit. Then lift 5 times. Then look at the phone. Then lift 5 more...sit....move to next machine and repeat. Meanwhile, I've done FOUR machines....so an 1.5 hours a day to make up for my sedentary job.
    And I've noticed that after joining the gym, my forest walk times are speeding up.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I agree, you always want to work towards full range of motion, it's best to prevent injuries in the real world, because there will be times, such as falling...where you will be using full range of motion.

If a full squat hurts, then don't do it, but don't avoid it, work up to it. Much of the pain comes from the connective tissue, due to compression issues, which is different than tension issues. This video explains it really well

Connective tissues are very tough, but if they are not worked thru full range of motion they are the ones that are usually first to be injured and those injuries take the longest to heal -- sometimes years...

When in doubt, find a toddler. They have full range of motion, because they don't sit in chairs.

Lots of beer and ice cream.
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

Stuff my face with the best beer, whiskey and food I can find from across the nation for the past 6 years since my last Thru Hike. Work out sometimes, and go Thru Hike again this year.

Best diet and exercise ever.

230 Back to 180 by the summer! Done!!

I ride my bike to work and do a little bit of running. Lifting at gym three to four times per week. For quads: leg press (hip sled), hack squat and barbell squat (which is also a great all around exercise); deadlifts are awesome too but I stopped them. For core/abs: planks, leg lifts and incline crunches. For upper body: dips, decline bench press, barbell curls, shrugs and iso-lateral bench press. Good yoga stretches are cobra and down dog.

When you do anything that's free weights like barbell squats or deadlift, be careful not to hurt your back. One way to do that is to fully engage your abs on the up part of the exercise.

Lefty

What is FIIT?

Quote Originally Posted by English Stu View Post
    What is FIIT?
    I read it as HIIT, High Intensity Interval Training, but maybe FIIT is something different?

Images

I run year-round 3-4X/week. Trails as much as possible but more roads in the winter. Also hit the gym a couple times a week.

In the Spring and Fall I generally run at least one orienteering race most weekends. There aren't many sports better suited to backpacking training than orienteering - from both an overall fitness and navigational skill perspective.

Great thread guys, I was looking for ideas on this! Nice to see the convo already going.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    When in doubt, find a toddler. They have full range of motion, because they don't sit in chairs.
    they also have increased anteversion that allows for this easier ROM, which is the real reason
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    they also have increased anteversion that allows for this easier ROM, which is the real reason
    You are joking, right? About 10% of children have a femoral anteversion, yet all todlers have a full ROM squat.

What is your excuse for the billions of people living in the third world that squat all day long? Again, because they don't use chairs.

Bumping this thread - Any thru-hikers from this year have any specific recommendations on how they got fit for the trail? What was useful / not useful once you hit the trail?

I've heard nothing really prepares for you for 6 months in the woods - you really just need to get out there and hike! That being said, I'm focusing on getting full mobility back in my legs after a hip / IT band injury and neglecting to get it fixed for 9 months.

Ktaadn earlier posted a link to MobilityWod - For whatever it's worth, the daily exercises and practices in the two books by Kelly Starrett (who started MobilityWod) and the MWod website have made an immense improvement in how I move through the world, and I'm seeing the results on my practice hikes - stronger legs, full range of motion, no pain in my knees or hip for the first time in a few years.
    --
    Vinny, Aspiring 2016 AT NOBO
    Shameless blog plug: http://appalachiantrials.com/author/vinny-tagliatela/

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    You are joking, right? About 10% of children have a femoral anteversion, yet all todlers have a full ROM squat.

What is your excuse for the billions of people living in the third world that squat all day long? Again, because they don't use chairs.
    no I'm not joking. I'm in orthopedics. 100% of children have femoral anteversion (30-40 degrees at birth) and this decreases as they age to the average of 9-12 degrees in adults. perhaps you should get your facts straight before calling someone out.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++