WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How much did you contribute at Upper Gose Pond Cabin?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    Weekenders (and dayhikers too) are just short section hikers!
    That's my belief also. When I set out to do all of the AT in Maine with my kids 25 years ago. Some of our sections were day hikes, some weekend hikes, and several were four or five day vacation hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by justusryans
    Not saying that. Am saying a 6 figure salary is excessive for a non-profit
    AMC is a multi-million dollar operation. It should be run right, and that requires paying someone who can do it right. I doubt that the salary is out of line with other not for profits with similiar sized operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    Heh... Then why did you ONLY leave $3?
    Two dollars was the suggested donation for a tent platform. Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by stupe
    Two dollars was the suggested donation for a tent platform. Heh.
    LOL... Good show!

Default Ugp

Many memories of the pond. It is a great deal! Why is Madison Hut different?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nean
    Many memories of the pond. It is a great deal! Why is Madison Hut different?
    I hope Rick answers, but I vaguely remember that the footprint, at least, may be owned by AMC. It's the first hut, created in 1888, or around then, long before there was a National Forest, or an Appalachian Trail, so that seems probable.

Thanks Weary, but what does footprint mean?

Journal Entries
    Images

With a tent, a "footprint" is the piece of plastic or tyvek you cut to size and slip underneath.

With Madison Springs Hut, I think the AMC owns more than just "footprint" under the building. Though I stand to be corrected, I an fairly certain the club owns not only the building, but about an acre of land on which it sits.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie
    With a tent, a "footprint" is the piece of plastic or tyvek you cut to size and slip underneath.

With Madison Springs Hut, I think the AMC owns more than just "footprint" under the building. Though I stand to be corrected, I an fairly certain the club owns not only the building, but about an acre of land on which it sits.
    Well I said, "foot print at least." An acre sounds reasonable to me, given my somewhat deteriotated memory of such ancient matters. Some old folks seem to lose their recent memory. I remember recent things vividly. I just don't remember all the insignificant crap I've remembered over the years in an insignificant effort "to keep the debate honest."

As of this day, I proclaim: Regardless of how dumb your postings may be. I'm not going to correct them. And if I weaken, please remind me. Because I may forget this vow.

But please don't get teed off if I ignore your reminder.

Weary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fowler
    Peaks is right. The property is owned by the NPS. The cabin is managed by the Berkshire branch of the AMC.
    The supplies for the cabin, propane, pancake mix, syrup, coffee etc., come from the donations. Money collected, from hikers, is used to buy these supplies so that the pancake breakfast can be offered. Believe me, it's not a money making deal.
    I'll say it again;"It's the best deal on the AT".
    Yes, the land and cabin are owned by NPS. It's managed by the Mass. AT Committee of the Berkshire Chapter of the AMC. The money collected buys supplies and maintenance for the cabin, it does not leave the Mass. AT Committee or benefit the greater AMC. The cabin is managed and maintained in the same way as any other shelter on the AT, ie. by volunteers.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

we didnt pay anything to stay there, but we have to plead ignorance as well. it wasnt open yet when we came thru, so we didnt know to pay. there was no caretaker and it was locked up. so we "broke" in, which wasnt too difficult, and then locked back up after our stay.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Journal Entries
    Images

Just wondering how things may have changed on this as hikers have become more educated.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    One place where donations are "encouraged" is the Upper Goose Pond Cabin in Massachusetts. This anonymous poll asks anyone who has stayed there how much they contributed.
    You have my answer, but why the question?
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Just wondering how things may have changed on this as hikers have become more educated.
    Only the ones who continue hiking become more educated (and only if they listen).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Btw: I visit UGP cabin several times a year and usually bring some organic fancy-pants pancake batter, eggs, oil, and maple syrup because I like to treat strangers to what many folks call "trail magic", but I just call kindness.

Images

one of the nice ladies that work there gave me my trail name in 2010. She asked my trail name and said that was just for the kids . she set me straight and told me I was to be known as mrcoffee from then on. I gave them five bucks, and by her account the best cup of coffee that she ever had. slow perked over small smudge of a fire. yea I carry a five cup percolator.

Images

oops, ment to say that I thought trail names were for for the kids

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++