WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section including McAfee Knob

I am considering a section in May including McAfee Knob, 50 to 60 miles, probably SOBO.
    Looking for good starting and ending locations.

SOBO ... Unless you hike up from Carvins Cove ... you will need to start in Daleville and end either @ Craig Creek (621) or Sinking Creek (42) or John's Creek (156) (I used to live in John's Creek Valley)

Daleville to Craig Creek is 41 mi

Daleville to Sinking Creek is is 51 mi ... the major road from New Castle toward the Blacksburg area.

Daleville to John's Creek is is 59 mi ... pretty remote pickup location

Either that or you need to back up onto the Blue Ridge Parkway and start by hiking down into Daleville .

I'm VERY familiar with this section so PM me if you want to discussion options in detail.

Last summer I hiked NOBO from Stony Creek to VA 624. Also did McAfee Knob as a day hike. Instead of starting at Daleville, you could take the Andy Layne trail to the AT (trail head about 10 miles from the US 220 AT trail head in Daleville). This gets you up to tinker cliffs about 7 miles faster than starting at US220. Stony Creek would be about 64 miles from there. I started at Stony Creek, camped at John's Creek, camped on top of Sinking Creek Mtn (dry camp), then to 4 Pines Hostel.

good info for my personal use- thx

Images

We did Sinking Creek to Daleville a few years ago in June. Nice hike, but tough for a couple of section hikers right off the couch -- the trail goes perpendicular to the long ridgelines, so you go up steeply, then down the other side, cross the valley, and climb the next ridge. There are some terrific views along this stretch. See if you can get to The Homeplace when they are open (when you cross 311).
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Last summer I hiked NOBO from Stony Creek to VA 624. Also did McAfee Knob as a day hike. Instead of starting at Daleville, you could take the Andy Layne trail to the AT (trail head about 10 miles from the US 220 AT trail head in Daleville). This gets you up to tinker cliffs about 7 miles faster than starting at US220. Stony Creek would be about 64 miles from there. I started at Stony Creek, camped at John's Creek, camped on top of Sinking Creek Mtn (dry camp), then to 4 Pines Hostel.
    Andy Layne trail might be a bit of a bear this time of year. There is at least one -very- steep section. If it's snow covered, could be a mess. That said, if the trail conditions are good that is a great option for coming in further south than 220.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Andy Layne trail might be a bit of a bear this time of year. There is at least one -very- steep section. If it's snow covered, could be a mess. That said, if the trail conditions are good that is a great option for coming in further south than 220.
    The OP said May. I would hope the snow is gone by then, but the way this month is going, I'm not sure!

BTW, Camping on the top of Sinking Creek Mtn was awesome. This was the view I woke up to.

IMG_4357.jpg

LOVE this section! Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    The OP said May. I would hope the snow is gone by then, but the way this month is going, I'm not sure!
    You're right - I totally missed the May part somehow. No snow worries at that point!

++ New Posts ++