Default My Boots Kill My Feet... Help!

I wear about a 9.5 and have a duck foot - high volume, wide at the toe and narrow in the heel. La Sportiva betrayed me, Keens are too wide in the heel, and my Vasques are giving me blisters. Any suggestions?

If nothing else, you could get a cheap sport ankle wrap to fill up that space and stick with the Keens since you know they fit the front of your foot. I have a sort of similar foot in a size 8, but I size up to an 8.5 in Keens and wear very thick (medium weight at minimum) hiking socks.

You might try Chaco hiking shoes. They aren't really tight feeling in the heel, but I've never gotten a blister from them.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

You may want to try Lowa. My feet have the same shape you're describing. I've got a pair of Renegade IIs that have done me well since day one. I wore them for twelve days hiking Isle Royale right after I got them with zero issues at all.

Also, I can't say this enough: good socks. Get you some Darn Tough socks - buy the right size and look at the label and make sure you buy some that say 'cushion.' Cushion indicates just that - there is an extra thickness of cushion added to the bottom of the foot. Between the extra thickness and the high stitch count, the socks really conform to your feet well. They're one of the few brands that I can wear without getting bagging at the heel.

I've also had good luck with Salomons and Salewa shoes.

Altra is the way to go imo. I love Mine.

Altras-I have the Superior 2.0, and I pair them with orthotics to get arch support/harder soul. I have not found a boot that works for toe splay with a smaller heel.

Try an orthotic. I have a custom one that I use in all my shoes/boots...
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cool sole pattern. Thanks, I'll check them out!

Thanks! I've never tried Lowa before. And totally agree on good socks. I've gotten so hooked on my Wigwam socks I wear them every day. I keep hearing about Darn Tough though, so I need to find some!

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post

I've also had good luck with Salomons and Salewa shoes.
    Which Salomons have you used? I keep seeing them and they look pretty cool.

Images

Try Salamon's. I love the XR Mission's.

I had lots of boot trouble in the past. I also have a wide fore foot and average heel. I went from a woman's 8.5 Vasque to a man's 8.5, also Vasque, with Superfeet insoles, and one pair of foam insoles. My feet are very happy now.

I, too, have wide toes and a narrow heel. I have only worn boots, and I ALWAYS get blisters (even with my darn tough socks, smart wool before them...plus, have tried liners with both - and tape).

I am switching to trail runners this year, especially since I have never had ankle problems - makes sense.

Do retail markets carry the Altra shoes? My size ranges across 8, 8.5, or 9, depending on the shoe. It would be nice to try those on prior to purchasing....

++ New Posts ++