WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    Why would they get a fine or jail for using a spot?
    Presumably they were beating somebody with it. Otherwise I'm at a loss as well.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

These items is just for a day hike, if you're going to hike overnight, pls add the tent, tarp, sleeping bag, food container, stove...
    Visit my blog HikerTrack to find useful tips for hiking, camping, survival skills and read thorough reviews about outdoor gears like best 10 person tent...

Quote Originally Posted by Minos View Post
    OK, this is just a shameless plug to get amazon referral kickbacks... Next..
    why would you necro a 2 year old thread just to let everybody know this?

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post
    Why do people still suggest old school fire starters? A bic lighter is cheap effective and reliable, just pop it in a ziplock or someother waterproof storage (say the plastic case that came with your PocketRocket perhaps, and your good to go. Tom accurately points out having the ability to start and maintain a fire in challenging conditions is esential for any of this to be useful.
    I don't know what's 'old school' here. My 'go to' for lighting fires, including my alcohol stove, is a firesteel. I think it may have been lifesaving on one occasion when I slipped at a ford and wound up swimming - in 35°F air temperatures. I was getting hypothermic enough by the time I was starting a fire that I'm not sure I could have operated a Bic, but striking flint uses gross muscle coordination more than fine, and that worked. I knew the ford was dodgy, and gathered a small amount of wood on the near bank before starting to cross, to have a safe place to retreat. It had been raining for a week, but I found a mouse's nest for the first dry sticks and even a blown-down limb of a birch tree.

Also, I don't find Bics to be that reliable in deep winter (the butane doesn't evaporate well enough, the lighter gets chilled when I take it out even if I've had it inside my jacket), or if the wheel gets wet (as with falling in at a ford, see above). The cotton-ball-and-Vaseline fire starter and sparks from a firesteel is pretty foolproof.. Of course, you need the skills to lay a fire and keep it going once you've got it alight.

Of course, I'm an old dinosaur as well as being a clueless weekender, so the kids might be on to something I don't understand.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Why do people still suggest old school fire starters? A bic lighter is cheap effective and reliable, ...l.
    Perhaps because a firesteel is more reliable, wet or dry, lasts forever and has no moving parts to fail. Can't imagine choosing a Butate bic over a quality firesteel.

Most important item (to me): Bic lighter.
    Next: water.
    Then: Phone, rain coat, sleeping bag, hat, gloves (depending on season), duct tape, piece of plastic (or tarp)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Twice that I recall, my Bic’s **** the bed, both at an inipportune moment...but to be fair I think one was a cricket. It happens.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Most important: Bic Lighter
    Second most important: Bic Pen
    Third most important: Bic razor

But seriously I am a big fan of the bic lighter.

Why do people still suggest old school fire starters? A bic lighter is cheap effective and reliable, just pop it in a ziplock or someother waterproof storage (say the plastic case that came with your PocketRocket perhaps, and your good to go. Tom accurately points out having the ability to start and maintain a fire in challenging conditions is esential for any of this to be useful.
    Old School Fire Starters are not fragile and susceptible to leaking or braking and will last a lifetime. Once proficient with it, all you do is toss it in your bag and never have to worry about it until in a time of need.

Quote Originally Posted by Minos View Post
    OK, this is just a shameless plug to get amazon referral kickbacks... Next..
    Exactly. Those schemes annoy me.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Redrowen View Post
    Hilleberg tents are not fragile and susceptible to leaking or braking and will last a lifetime. Once proficient with it, all you do is toss it in your bag and never have to worry about it until in a time of need.
    Fixed that for you.

Journal Entries

Oh, I get it. Gotta watch these forums. Some of them are taken over by people trying to sell you things. Thee! I said it.

@Demeter: Your's is a lot better.

About $800 per the article’s recomendations to go on a day hike! Buy,buy,buy and you will be safe !
    i totally agree that knowledge and humility are much more important, along with basic water purification, shelter, rain protection and an additional layer for warmth. I think these articles are only designed to sell unnecessary and expensive gear to the newbe.

As for the fines for using a SPOT. Seems I remember seeing an article about two morons who used theirs to try to get more pizza and beer delivered! I think that should be a fine and jail time!

Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    As for the fines for using a SPOT. Seems I remember seeing an article about two morons who used theirs to try to get more pizza and beer delivered! I think that should be a fine and jail time!
    you can send text and e-mail with spot, not all communication is directly to emergency response, might be they simply did not understand the features correctly. even if the did hit the 911 button the rescue team would text them for the nature of the emergency before responding.

jail time with exclamation marks is just a tad harsh...

This! Well said

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Now that is the best 10 essentials I have seen! Perfect!!!

Well written article and great listing overall
    Quite Helpful for me

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

JohnBelly's posts are all odd comments like that.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++