Default Got Health Insurance??

I'm looking for advice on affordable health insurance that will save me from going bankrupt, in the unlikely event of getting sick or injured on the trail. Any suggestions/info would be appreciated. Thanks.
    LT '12 | JMT '13 | CT '14 | PCT '15

takeatrek.com

Thanks to Obamacare, you're required to have health insurance or pay a fine. The deadline for 2015 was 4 days ago. Which insurance you can get depends on which state you live in, and even what part of the state. Insurance companies are not supposed to sell across state lines, though there are some exceptions. Check e-surance or the healthcare.gov site to see what's available in VT.

also thanks to obamacare, you should be able to get some subsidies since your income should be low due to not working for much of the year

Images

I've seen people get Medicaid with income less than 13,000 a year.....hmmmmmm
    Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
    Albert Einstein

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=18107

Journal Entries

jawnzee, am I incorrect in thinking that my rates would be based on last year's (full year of) income as opposed to this year's (closer to half year due to thru hike)? I would have guessed the rate would be based on last year's numbers instead of guesses for what this year's will be.

Quote Originally Posted by gillian View Post
    jawnzee, am I incorrect in thinking that my rates would be based on last year's (full year of) income as opposed to this year's (closer to half year due to thru hike)? I would have guessed the rate would be based on last year's numbers instead of guesses for what this year's will be.
    I'm pretty sure your rates will be based on last years numbers, you can prove those. Your rates next year will be based on this years earnings and you may see a lower rate then. It kind of all works out.

FYI ... open enrollment has been extended to April 15.

Subsidies are based on current year's projected income. On the website, you forecast your income and get rates/subsidies based on that. However, if you underestimate income, then some of the subsidies will have to be paid back when filing taxes next year. As a result, most people should probably be very careful and make sure that income is not underestimated or a nasty surprise could be the result when filing 2015 taxes.

Now if income is too low, then you qualify for Medicaid in states that have expanded it and you cannot buy a policy with subsidies on the exchange. In my opinion, the sweet spot from the perspective of a long distance hiker is to earn more than the level that will dump you into Medicaid, but not much more thereby qualifying for maximum subsidies on the exchange.

I have a pre-ACA grandfathered individual policy that I'm hanging onto as long as it is offered and that doesn't qualify for subsidies but I'm happy with that coverage and it is cheaper for me than an unsubsidized ACA plan. Important thing is to not go without coverage.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

They ask you to prove your income, if you qualify for a subsidy. So if last year's income was high, but you expect this year's to be low, you'll need to explain that with proof - i.e. show that you were fired or that you quit or give some proof that this year is different. And if you get a job later, you may need to repay the subsidy.

Default Keeping Obamacare Plan While Thru-Hiking

Regarding keeping an Obamacare plan while thru-hiking:

My over-age-25 child is enrolled in an Obamacare plan in 2015 in State X. He/she started a thru-hike at the end of March, and no longer has an apartment. All possessions were either sold or are being stored by relatives in State Y. Mail is also being forwarded to State Y.

I called Healthcare.gov to ask about keeping the plan. Hike likely will not be finished until Sept. Representative told me staying in current plan is probably ok. At end of hike, if return is to State X then can stay in current plan, and if relocation happens to State Z, then there's a 60-day period to switch to a plan in State Z.

I am posting to share information with others who may be in the same situation, and also to see if anyone with expertise in issues that may arise when you have "no current address" has any comments. Hoping if a claim happens, that the current plan will not try to deny it based on no longer living in State X. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ATDreaming View Post
    Regarding keeping an Obamacare plan while thru-hiking:

My over-age-25 child is enrolled in an Obamacare plan in 2015 in State X. He/she started a thru-hike at the end of March, and no longer has an apartment. All possessions were either sold or are being stored by relatives in State Y. Mail is also being forwarded to State Y.

I called Healthcare.gov to ask about keeping the plan. Hike likely will not be finished until Sept. Representative told me staying in current plan is probably ok. At end of hike, if return is to State X then can stay in current plan, and if relocation happens to State Z, then there's a 60-day period to switch to a plan in State Z.

I am posting to share information with others who may be in the same situation, and also to see if anyone with expertise in issues that may arise when you have "no current address" has any comments. Hoping if a claim happens, that the current plan will not try to deny it based on no longer living in State X. Thoughts?
    If a new address has not yet been established somewhere else, it would be hard for them to deny based on the address.

You need to be very careful when selecting your Obamacare plan. Many have very tight networks only in your home area. You need to be sure the plan you select has a national network. And beware, just because it is a national insurance provider do not assume the network for your plan is national.

As to the address question above. I believe your last address will dictate your residency. Your residency will only change upon a move to a new address. In hiking the AT you have not moved. You are on vacation.

If I don't have insurance the government likes (or any insurance at all) while I hike, I'll gladly pay their fine and move on. Its the cost of freedom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by magneto View Post
    If I don't have insurance the government likes (or any insurance at all) while I hike, I'll gladly pay their fine and move on. Its the cost of freedom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That cost is rising. No commentary intended. Just a fact that people making that choice will face as the tax years change.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks Bird! Admittedly - I was trolling a bit. Everyone need to decide for themselves what to do.

I need to put down my phone and get out into the woods!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by magneto View Post
    Thanks Bird! Admittedly - I was trolling a bit. Everyone need to decide for themselves what to do.

I need to put down my phone and get out into the woods!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    June is fishing. July and August is walking. May is waiting

and trolling

and hopefully contributing once in a while.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

++ New Posts ++