Journal Entries
    Images

Default Bladder Infection??

I am assuming one of you ladies out there have come into this issue on the trail before, so I need your help. I really don't want to get off trail to hit up a Med Check or Minute Clinic - and being away from towns for a period of time, I need some other ideas on how to kick this or at least curb it.

I have obviously upped my water intake and are cleaning thoroughly after bathroom uses. Can you think of anything else?
    When we get to a real town, I plan on drowning myself in Cranberry juice, but until then - HELP!
    JB (South Side aka Tear Drop) and Stacy (Snacks aka Redemption) 2014/2015 - Rebuilding The Unbreakable....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw
    New2theWild - come follow us!!

If you have a primary care doc and have had this issue in the past you could let him/her know you are planning a long distance hike and would like to carry some meds in case you get an infection "far" from town.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

You can buy Pyridium (phenazopyridine) over the counter in any pharmacy. It may help provide some help and relief. It will discolor your urine so be prepared for that but it may buy you enough time to get to a clinic where you can see a physician for an antibiotic Rx.

If this issue is reoccurring check cranberry tabs. Easy to carry and fairly light in weight.

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rx View Post
    You can buy Pyridium (phenazopyridine) over the counter in any pharmacy. It may help provide some help and relief. It will discolor your urine so be prepared for that but it may buy you enough time to get to a clinic where you can see a physician for an antibiotic Rx.
    This will be my best bet for now. Thank you for the advice. It is greatly appreciated. The pain lessens the more water I intake, so I am keeping it up. I am also considering cranberry tabs as well.
    JB (South Side aka Tear Drop) and Stacy (Snacks aka Redemption) 2014/2015 - Rebuilding The Unbreakable....

What about craisins (dried cranberries)?

-FA

Journal Entries
    Images

Those will be on the next grocery list!

Quote Originally Posted by JBandStacy2014 View Post
    This will be my best bet for now. Thank you for the advice. It is greatly appreciated. The pain lessens the more water I intake, so I am keeping it up. I am also considering cranberry tabs as well.
    If you have trouble getting tabs PM me and I will send you some to a general delivery PO of your choice from Amazon

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JBandStacy2014 View Post
    You are very welcome! Just putting some good use to the education my parents blessed me with many years ago. Increased water intake will definitely help and along with the Pyridium should decrease the discomfort. I am glad to be of help. Have a great hike!

Hit the pyridium/phenazopyridineand, if you can get to a bigger pharmacy like CVS or Walgreens, check for Cystex (not the cranberry stuff). Those two together should keep you up and moving long enough to get it out of your system. But if your symptoms keep going for a couple weeks, you'll want to find a doctor for antibiotics. Spoken from past experience. Good luck!

check with your OB/GYN. If you have recurrent infections or are concerned about being prone to one on the trail, they may be willing to give you an advance rx for Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin), which is the first course for UTI's. We give it to our OB patients...
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images

Doxycycline can be used for UTI and Lyme, might want to ask your dotor for a prescription to take with you.

I'm right there with you with frequent UTI's. I'm going to do what the rest of the of ladies have suggested and get a script filled ahead of time. I figure having a round of antibiotics could be useful in a lot of cases... like if I get bit by a rabid bear or something.

Other recommendations: cranberries are only effective if taken regularly, and for weeks before the infection, so start taking them now and take them every day even if you don't have an infection. AZO turns your pee orange and can relieve symptoms. Basic hygiene, too. Antibacterial wipes, wipe front to back, clean your butt, clean your underwear.

*cranberry pills. I recommend these instead of juice or crasians. The amount of cranberry you'd have to consume to be affective is almost too much to carry. Pills are easy to take and carry.

++ New Posts ++