WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default crocs vs water shoes

crocs vs. water shoes. which weighs less? Which is more comfortable in camp.

There are many styles of each. In general I find crocs comfortable and light, water shoes smaller.

Go with fake Crocs instead. You can often find them at the dollar store for like $5 per pair. They are cheaper than real Crocs because the plastic/rubber is of lower quality, but that lower quality makes them *much* lighter than regular Crocs. And, if you get tired of them after 300 miles, just dump them in the hiker box because they only cost $5 to begin with...

Journal Entries

Lost my 14 oz. Crocs while on the ADT last year. Bought a pair of Dollar General Crocs in Paw Paw, WVA for $8, weight 8 oz. per pair. They feel just a comfortable as regular Crocs.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'd go with the Dollar General knock-offs vs. water shoes; just a lot more flexible. For summer campsites you might also go to Wal-Mart with your scale to see if you can find a pair of plastic slides that fit you. I bought an off-brand pair a number of years ago that weigh in a 7 ounces for size 10 men's. In the cooler months I use the outer shell of VivoBarefoot Ultras, but they are typically more expensive (8 oz; $25-$50 depending on sale).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

just got vivobarefoot's in the mail $20 shipped to my door on sale. they were highly recommended from a thru hiker i met on trail. at that price it was worth the higher quality and hassle i would have had to chase down in a store i might have just compromised and had something kicking around the gear closet that i might question if it's worth bringing.

I have Speedo slip-on water shoes. They are low-weight, low-volume easy to pack.

Crocs are very comfortable, I don't like their bulk for my backpack.

I really don't like stuff hanging off the outside, catching on branches and like that.

I am considering going to all mesh hiking shoes.

Journal Entries

I have two pair of cheap Croc knock-offs, paid $5 each. They are easy to slip on. I use them all the time in the garden.
    I have another pair of even cheaper feeling knock-offs, not quite slip-on, with a velcro strap that secures them. These are the ones I take on the trail. Very light weight, and if I ever need to cross a creek in them, I won't worry about them slipping off my feet like the first two might do.
    Neither type is durable. Walking across the driveway, I can feel every piece of gravel, and I'd be concerned about puncturing them on sticks and things if I tried to hike in them. I've used them in camp many times, and they're perfect. They are untested as creek shoes, but I feel good about them.

As others have said: FAKE crocs are better than Real Crocs or Water Shoes.
    Because they are:
    CHEAPER!
    Lighter
    Disposable if necessary
    Just as comfortable - on a thru-hike (not long-term at home)

Not taking camp/water shoes is the lightest option. What's comfort?
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

What r thoughts on using the crocs to make water crossings? I know if it rains there is no hope for ur shoes. But is changing into crocs a bad idea?

Just thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use my fake Crocs for water crossings. Just make sure that your trail shoes are lashed to your pack so they don't fall into the stream and float away. On deeper water crossings, I take off my pants too, and cross in my UnderArmor and fake crocs.

As a word to the wise, make sure that the ankle straps of your fake crocs are behind your heels so they don't fall off from the current.

Images

In 2012 in hot springs my buddy wore his crocs as town shoes no socks. The first day in town it rained off and on all day.
    The rain didnt stop us from walking around town. When we went back to the campground later that evening, my friend kicked off his crocs only to discover that they had blistered the tops of his feet. they looked like huge red raw diper rash. poor guy waa sore for days after.

I wear mock crocs at home all the time, no heel strap. How important is the heel strap? I could tie a short piece of cord through a hole in the shoe and the other end around my ankle so it doesn't float away.

My only issue is using crocs for swift water crossings. They slid off your feet easily and will do so in swift water or deep mud.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I wear mock crocs at home all the time, no heel strap. How important is the heel strap? I could tie a short piece of cord through a hole in the shoe and the other end around my ankle so it doesn't float away.

Sure, that sounds like it would work too. I've had an occasion or two of chasing a fake Croc down the stream after it slipped off my foot, so now I'm a bit more careful, particularly where there's a bit of current.

The most important is to ensure that your boots/trail runners are well lashed to your pack while crossing, because if you lose a hiking shoe, you are seriously screwed.

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

Quote Originally Posted by ny breakfast View Post
    just got vivobarefoot's in the mail $20 shipped to my door on sale. they were highly recommended from a thru hiker i met on trail. at that price it was worth the higher quality and hassle i would have had to chase down in a store i might have just compromised and had something kicking around the gear closet that i might question if it's worth bringing.
    Where did you find them for $20?! I have searched for these off and on in the past and never seem to find them much less than $50 incl shipping. Anyone know where I can get these for $20?

Crocs are lighter, cheaper.

Use the heel strap so you don't lose one in the water. Cord could be uncomfortable and snag on something.

Quote Originally Posted by msumax1985 View Post
    Where did you find them for $20?! I have searched for these off and on in the past and never seem to find them much less than $50 incl shipping. Anyone know where I can get these for $20?
    Try 6pm.com. I have caught them for below $20 once. Women's also usually run cheaper than men's (I assume due to excess inventory).
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++