WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Missing Hiker - Neals Gap Area

We just took a call shortly before 11pm of a missing hiker going from Suchas, Ga to Neals Gap. He was a day or two overdue. Why on earth do folks wait till late at night to call for help? We passed her along to the right people as we do not coordinate SAR and it was in Ga. It has been sleeting and freezing rain for the last eight hours where he was headed. I feel sorry for him.

I will try and learn more and post what I can.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Let's hope he is found, this is classic hypothermia weather. Bad time to be out on the trail unless you know what you are doing and have the right gear and clothing. Perhaps he's holed up in Woods Hole or Blood Mtn Shelter for the night and will stumble into Mountain Crossings tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    Let's hope he is found, this is classic hypothermia weather. Bad time to be out on the trail unless you know what you are doing and have the right gear and clothing. Perhaps he's holed up in Woods Hole or Blood Mtn Shelter for the night and will stumble into Mountain Crossings tomorrow.
    That's what I'm betting on
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Where did he call? Wouldn't 911 patch into the local authorities?

Well his g/f called the NC Highway Patrol and I think she was in Florida. People always call us when they don't know where to turn and I guess that she wasn't up on her geography enough to know he was in Georgia.

Many states have a state police but we are Troopers....We just enforce motor vehicle law and investigate accidents. A state police handles everything and I guess she thought they would coordinate SAR. SAR here is coordinated by the county emergency management unless it is in a federal park. All we would do is lend a helicopter to help.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Keep us informed please.

Do you have a name?

There is a hiker named Tear Drop in this area. If its not him someone might want to talk to him to see if he saw the missing hiker.

Take these stories to heart. Feb, Mar, Apr can get to freezing. Bring the gear for what if, not what's normal. Every once in a while it gets 20* below normal, then you're screwed and might die. Even in May if you're packed for July and it gets to 40* you could get into big trouble. UL is possible if you know what you're doing, but stupid light is well!! stupid, and dangerous.

Images

I always cringe when I hear or read folks advising newbe hikers to plan on sleeping in all or most of their clothing for the expected temps in order to lower their weight. "If you are not sleeping in your clothing, you are carrying too much."

To me, you should have an adequate sleeping bag/pad for all expected temps. Sleeping in clothing is your safety margin for the unexpected.

Hope this situation turns out ok.

It may very well be teardrop. His girlfriend is in Florida I believe. I am pretty sure they started the trail together , got off due to weather and spent some time on the FT and were to return. However, I thought they were to return in March. Just ironic how this guy's girlfriend called from Florida and he is supposedly out there now. Hope all turns out well.

I was just chatting with someone who said he already dropped out on one AT attempt this winter, and than went on to drop out of a FT attempt. Pretty much what Snappy said, but I think I'd still be shocked if it turned out to be true.

I hope this fellow is alright, but I just don't understand why someone would try a winter AT hike after flunking out on the FT. I guess hindsight isn't 20/20.

Is this Tear Drop? If so, he looks to have posted a video today and i doubt he is the missing hiker. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw

The last post on TJ is a bit confusing. I think the way I am reading it is they were back on again she got hurt again and they were back in the area. Read and see what you think. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=481619

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    Is this Tear Drop? If so, he looks to have posted a video today and i doubt he is the missing hiker. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyc...rhn5dwBltHGUxw
    Now I don't know much about youtube but the side bar says it was posted 6 months ago.

Interesting...is he related to Dakota joe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I called Union County Georgia to see if they had an update and it turns out the fellow showed up in Towns County Georgia and was well. He came off the trail and called everyone but the one loved one that was tracking him. Go figure!!

I couldn't get his name.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Good to hear...looks like some cold weather movin in.....

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Good to hear...looks like some cold weather movin in.....

That is an understatement....Thursday low of -10 in Boone, NC is predicted without factoring in wind chill. Other elevations are in the same boat. Time to bring in the brass monkey

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Interesting...is he related to Dakota joe? .

I don't know. Joe did make it thru.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++