WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default zPacks MultiPack vs Shoulder Pouch for ULA Circuit

I have a ULA Circuit and for the past few hikes I have had a single zPacks shoulder strap pouch which has been great for storing things that I want to keep available while hiking. My Circuit has hip belt pouches as well which I use to keep food to eat while on the move as well as my camera. For my upcoming PCT hike, I was planning to buy an additional zPacks shoulder strap pouch since it has been so useful for me and I could use a bit more additional storage up front and it would free up space in my pack's side pockets for heavy water carries. However, I got to thinking about the zPacks Multi pack as a possible alternate solution. It is obviously much larger and could possibly eliminate the need for shoulder pouches altogether. Then I could use the shoulder strap loops for even more water on the desert sections of the PCT, if needed.

Has anyone used the zPacks multi pack with a ULA Circuit as I'm describing here?
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I think Stick used one with a ULA pack (can't recall which one) prior to switching to an Arc Blast (I believe).
    The one who follows the crowd, will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.
    -Albert Einstein

Actually I think I remember watching one of his videos on the multi pack. I'll go check out his site to see if I can find it. Thanks for reminding me.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

I like to see my feet, hiking in the mountains.

That could be a consideration.

I use the ZPacks Multipack independent of my backpack with a long strap around my neck, and a bottom strap(normally just comes with one longer strap, but I had them send two) around my body so it doesn't move. I wear it over my belly, so it's easy to see and get into, and isn't as obtrusive as a "chest pack".

As a follow up on this thread, I did purchase the Multi-pack right before I left for the PCT and didn't have much time to test it before I left. On the first day, I wore it as a chest pack and it had a lot of bounce ... and it got irritating after a while. Also, while not a huge issue, I did have less ventilation around my chest due to the pack being there.

So I switched the placement of the multi-pack and made it in to a "brain" on top of my Circuit. The included straps make it really easy to position the Multi-pack in this way and it was very secure. I kept many items I wanted access to during the day in the multi-pack thereby making it unnecessary to ever open the main body of the Circuit during the day.

I also used the Multi-pack as a day bag (man bag?) when walking around town as well as during travel. It was nice to have a bag that I could carry into establishments that didn't want my full pack carried in. The multi-pack at that point would have valuables that I didn't want to leave in the pack outside.

Overall I would recommend the product although I am not sure I will carry it on all of my hikes in the future.

Oh it is also very water resistant. It was partially exposed during a couple of downpours and the inside contents remained dry.

I also used one zPacks shoulder pouch. I love the shoulder pouch. I have purchased another one that I'll probably use on all hikes. I think that two shoulder pouches will make the multi-pack unnecessary on most trips.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

++ New Posts ++