WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Painter Campsite Beyond Standing Bear Hostel

Can anyone tell me if this is a pretty decent camping area? I'm with a small group coming thru heading north and want to avoid staying at Standing Bear Hostel and this looks like the closest campsite. Thanks for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyofthewoods View Post
    Can anyone tell me if this is a pretty decent camping area? I'm with a small group coming thru heading north and want to avoid staying at Standing Bear Hostel and this looks like the closest campsite. Thanks for any info.
    Good sight. Not too flat but tents work fine. We had 3 tents the night we were there and could hold more. Water is right at the sight
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

There are at least two campsites along the trail up the Snowbird. The first one is reasonably large, the second about 1/4 mile farther on is smaller. Be advised it's a pretty steep climb up from the road.

If your coming out of the Smokies, what I have done is to stay at the Davenport shelter, hike over to Standing Bear to buy some resupply and cook a frozen pizza for lunch, then go to Groundhog Creek shelter. Of course, that all depends on when you doing this and where your actually starting from.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If you have time to make it up there, there are excellent camp spots on top of Snowbird.

Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    If you have time to make it up there, there are excellent camp spots on top of Snowbird.
    From memory, there is a clearing on top of Snowbird where the FAA tower is. Going northbound, just past the tower and before you get back in the woods, there are some campsites. Looks like it would be a really nice site with nice views, if not cloudy.

Just be sure to lug enough water for the 2-3 miles from the last source.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Sounds good. We will be coming from Cosby Shelter and probably stopping at the Hostel for a bit more food before heading on. Do not plan on hiking all the way to the top of Snowbird on that same day. I've done that hike from Max Patch and I know either way it's a tough hike. We'll plan on stopping at Painter Campsite...hope the site isn't already taken by the time we get there! There will be 4 tents. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyofthewoods View Post
    Sounds good. We will be coming from Cosby Shelter and probably stopping at the Hostel for a bit more food before heading on. Do not plan on hiking all the way to the top of Snowbird on that same day. I've done that hike from Max Patch and I know either way it's a tough hike. We'll plan on stopping at Painter Campsite...hope the site isn't already taken by the time we get there! There will be 4 tents. Thanks a lot.
    You'll have plenty of space for 4 tents. Enjoy!
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

++ New Posts ++