WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Properly tied shoelaces

Do your shoelaces come undone?

I searched the forums looking to see if anyone else had posted how to properly tie shoelaces so they don't come loose. Didn't find a similar article.

I've had a chronic problem with loose shoelaces. Someone told me flat shoelaces work better than round shoelaces. But I discovered online today that I was tying a "Granny Knot." If the bow of your laces oriented up and down on your boot (vs flat across) that's most likely a Granny Knot.

For others with this problem, here's a video and other instructions on how to properly tie your shoelaces and why they come undone.

Video:
    http://www.shoelacesexpress.com/tyin...knot_video.asp

Written instructions with diagrams:
    http://www.shoelacesexpress.com/tyin...laces_knot.asp

I found the simple solution for me: I typically start my starting knot left-over-right. I switched that to right-over-left and continued tying as I normally would with the bow. Voila! It came out flat and secure across my boot. Oh, happy day!

Images

My son turned me on to the Granny knot thing, all my life I had problems with shoelaces, once I started the "square knot version" of tying shoelaces, problem solved. So simple!

Images

i use rabbit ear shoe tying method
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

There is a better way, hard to describe in words. See The Klutz Book of Knots. ​I found this independently, though. On your second part of the knot, go around the standing part twice. The knot will always hold, and pull out easily if you don't catch an end in the loop. Hey, I told you it was hard to describe. I'll look for some pictures and add them in if I find some. There you go! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YVQ79slKzY
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 02-14-2015 at 13:48.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I didn't realize tying shoe laces could be so problematic. If you lock the knot down tight an ordinary bow seems to work just fine. At least I never have found it to be something of a problem. If I need a little extra security I just add an extra overhand knot using the bow ears. Some types of shoe lace material seems to need a little extra help with that extra overhand knot sometimes. Usually it is the woven paracord type lacing that is a little slippery. Leather laces will lock down tight almost always. Been tying my shoe laces pretty much the same way since I was a kid. Didn't know folks had problems with granny knots and other such stuff.

Watch now all of a sudden my shoe laces are going to start acting up on me. I should have stayed away from this thread.

There is a TED Talk on this very subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAFcV7zuUDA

Journal Entries

I always double knot my shoes, lightly, doesnt untie by itself,

Images

Since I adopted this shoelace knot, my laces don't come undone. Also, it's nice that when I do want to untie, I can simply pull on one of the ends.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    Since I adopted this shoelace knot, my laces don't come undone. Also, it's nice that when I do want to untie, I can simply pull on one of the ends.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm
    A much better illustration of the knot I referred to earlier.

I used cordlocks when I used hiking boots.

like these. never have to tie/untie. quick and easy. I put the cordlocks on the laces and then know the lace and then when I am sure the laces are not too long that they hang on the ground but long enough to get in and out easily, I cut the excess and seal with a lighter.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I always double knot my shoes, lightly, doesnt untie by itself,
    Same. Double knot has always worked well for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    A much better illustration of the knot I referred to earlier.
    that's a double bunny ear knot
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries
    Images

Who knew they'd be so much info about tying one's shoelaces. Even a TED Talk! I use to double knot my laces, but it didn't matter they still came undone. I'm happy to report that after a day of much walking about, with the simple correction I tried (changing my starting knot), my laces remained securely tied all day...for the first time in my life!

Thanks everyone for the links and ideas. I like the "Double Slip Knot", looks very neat.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    that's a double bunny ear knot
    That name works for me.

A shoe expert at REI taught me to tie laces the way hockey players tie their skates.
    When wrapping the two laces around each other do it one more time. Then make a
    loop on one side and then circle the loop and your thumb twice with the other lace
    and then feed this lace through as a loop where you thumb is and then tighten laces. If laces are long enough
    you can tie the two loops together. I sometimes let my laces be loose enough to slide my
    feet in like loafers and this always cause the laces to come apart. But when all laces are tight
    against my feet they do not become loose.

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Journal Entries

For me problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

I 2nd Takethisbread. I will probably switch out most of my hiking foot ware to the Salomon speed laces. I have them on 3 pairs of Salomons now and they rarely ever come loose.

Journal Entries
    Images

I use low gaiters. Not only does it keep my laces tied but keeps pebbles out of my boots. More than one way to solve that problem!
    Last edited by HighLiner; 02-15-2015 at 12:50.
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_in_TR View Post
    I didn't realize tying shoe laces could be so problematic. If you lock the knot down tight an ordinary bow seems to work just fine. At least I never have found it to be something of a problem. If I need a little extra security I just add an extra overhand knot using the bow ears. Some types of shoe lace material seems to need a little extra help with that extra overhand knot sometimes. Usually it is the woven paracord type lacing that is a little slippery. Leather laces will lock down tight almost always. Been tying my shoe laces pretty much the same way since I was a kid. Didn't know folks had problems with granny knots and other such stuff.

Watch now all of a sudden my shoe laces are going to start acting up on me. I should have stayed away from this thread.
    You've obviously, probably randomly, been using the "square knot" method.

The point is, I think, that with a simple shoe-tying knot, one can make the loop two ways depending on which lace goes over which initially. One way creates essentially a granny knot-type knot, the other creates a square knot-type knot.

Folks that have been tying their shoes the granny knot way, like myself since I was a kid through a few years ago may have had trouble with laces coming untied, unless of course they were doubled-knotted or used fancier knots or those lace slides that Solomon uses.

Those that happened to learn the square knot sequence probably haven't had any problems. That's all, I think, the OP was trying to say, and I simply agreed with her as I was doing the same thing, unknowingly.

Doesn't this thread eventually reach the "Hike your own hike/ Tie your own shoes " stage?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++