WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default 951 Gofundme AT appeals

Inspired by other threads, I went to www.gofundme.com and did a search on "Appalachian Trail".

I got 951 hits.

I couldn't read pass the first 10 without concluding that the world has gone mad, and that it's probably best not to trust anyone under 30.

Images

Good lord. I'm funding by 2015 AT Thru Hike the old fashion way ... by working and saving most of my adult life.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I try to be non-judgmental, but I'm shocked every time I see a post written by someone who is asking for money to help with their hike. I think the proliferation of trail trail magic is one cause - hikers used to be happy when they found a bag of chips, cooler of cold water, or even a beer once in a while; now they get money, gift cards, hiker feeds (sounds like hogs at the trough); invitations to stay in someone's home, etc. OTOH, the kindness of the people who give is really amazing and uplifting.

Journal Entries

Ok so these Folks ( I could call them lazy BUMS that you be a negative statements about BUMS though) want other people to work and pay for them to hike the AT??Here' a concept work 2 jobs and save your $$$ & pay your way like an ADULT

To steal a phrase from another thread...

Katie, bar the door.

I just love that phrase...I so seldom get to use it.

Gross in general. Also as a veteran I am disgusted by the amount of those pages that are trying to trade on the uniform (I bet a few of them are fake, but even the real ones), when I was in that line it was part of the creed not to use your position for personal pleasure or profit.

It most instances, someone is certainly trying to take advantage of it. On the other hand, I bet a few of them actually mean well.

My uncle and brother actually recommend me to make one of these fund things for friends and family to donate easier. I said I'm too stubborn and don't want to it to seem like I'm asking them for money. Which I wont, but my friends and family are certainly willing to throw $20 at me and say a few beers are on them. I always say if someone wants to help me out on the trail, VISA gift cards are the cat's meow.

However, I've received about $200 in gifts from my family and good friends. I didn't expect it and didn't ask for any of it. Pretty much everyone heard my plans and gave me a $5 or $10 bill.

Some of these folks on the site are trying to raise $5k-$7k though..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    To steal a phrase from another thread...

Katie, bar the door.

I just love that phrase...I so seldom get to use it.
    Katie, once the horse has bolted, it's too late to bar the door.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Inspired by other threads, I went to www.gofundme.com and did a search on "Appalachian Trail".

I got 951 hits.

I couldn't read pass the first 10 without concluding that the world has gone mad, and that it's probably best not to trust anyone under 30.
    That was pretty much my reaction when I first started learning of this trend -- it was almost as if I'd stepped into another dimension where the idea of work and saving has been almost totally replaced by selfies and instant gratification. My now-deceased father would use the expression "unmitigated gall and sheer audacity" whenever he felt that I was asking for things not earned or deserved. But it's a different generation now -- it seems that most things are expected to be provided absolutely free of charge, even 4-month vacations, and fall into the category of "see it, want it, gotta have it now ."

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    Good lord. I'm funding by 2015 AT Thru Hike the old fashion way ... by working and saving most of my adult life.
    Yep seems my thought to nice idea but yeah I'll pass
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Journal Entries

I imagine most people are simply getting money from friends and family that way.

If a bunch of strangers are donating, my faith in humanity's aggregate intelligence is shaken.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I imagine most people are simply getting money from friends and family that way.
    That somehow makes it better? A phone call would do without gofundme getting a piece of the action.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    That somehow makes it better? K
    Sort of makes it worse.

If the appeals were started by a friend or family member, it would be one thing. When they are started by the future thru hiker him or herself, it is entirely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    That somehow makes it better? A phone call would do without gofundme getting a piece of the action.
    I think having a web address must some how soothe the psyche to legitimacy.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I think having a web address must some how soothe the psyche to legitimacy.
    oh the tricks we play on ourselves sometimes, and the numbers we'll crunch in the name of progress.

Maybe this explains the increase in bad behavior on and around the trail.
    More walking, less talking.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    Maybe this explains the increase in bad behavior on and around the trail.

Doesn't explain it, simply two symptoms of the same problem. The trail is attracting a different class of people, fortunately they are still a minority of the users.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I really try to keep an open mind about this. Everyone on WB takes a very negative and at times hostile stance toward people who ask us to review their GoFundMe pages.

But I honestly can't come up with a good excuse to do this. I can't imagine giving my $ to someone who wants to go on an extended vacation when I know families who are struggling to afford diapers for their baby.

If these people can some how finagle others into paying for their hike, more power to them. They won't get my $ and I won't lose sleep over if they get to go on a vacation without having to work for it.

It's like Make-A-Wish for the lazy and undeserving.

Having an e-commerce site, I get at least 3 or 4 emails a day from SEO experts and the like.
    I have learned to just junk them and not even think about it.
    I suggest you do the same.
    I imagine it must work a little bit for some.
    Maybe 1 in 1,000???
    Just be one of the 999.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++