WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

As someone else said up thread, does not really bother me. If someone wants to send them money, go for it. At least it is honest begging. It is not how I would do it, but no one is forcing me to donate either.

Better than the shadier charity events (where most of the donations support the person and not the charity) or kickstarter campaigns where the promised goods do not arrive.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

People donate money on the Twitch site/app to watch others play video games. Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to how people spend their money.

Images

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I'm with you...
    Otherwise, wounded warrior maybe, but realistically when I have spare cash it goes to ATC, Nature Conservancy, or a local trail organization.
    Me too.....plus Sierra club...reminds me...need to renew ATC....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I read, the poster didn't misrepresent anything. Thus, anyone who wants to fund them should be considered a "Trail Angel." People "sponsor" hikers in different ways. I guess I might donate $10 to someone because I can't be there to provide trail magic...

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    I dont understand the negative comments when things like this come up. I for one vote with my dollar, by not supporting them. But I could care less that they ask. If there are idiots who give to them, then so be it. thats part of what makes this country great!
    I thought I was responding to a sincere request from the owner of the GoFundMe account as people seem to post under different names in different forums. Perhaps it would be helpful for people to put a disclaimer on the post when they bring notice to such outside links. And I don't think what was initially said in response was negative but right forward opinions.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    I thought I was responding to a sincere request from the owner of the GoFundMe account as people seem to post under different names in different forums. Perhaps it would be helpful for people to put a disclaimer on the post when they bring notice to such outside links. And I don't think what was initially said in response was negative but right forward opinions.
    Agreed, and you were. The original post had a link and just asked "thoughts?". So thats what followed and included all thoughts, from curmudgeon thoughts to altruistic thoughts. Though I did like the "honest begging" angle, panhandling has become a practiced art over time.

The go fund me that sticks in my craw, is Habitat for Humanity, I'm living in my 6th house, ( Yes I am an addict) 3 were gut rehabs, 3 were massive rehabs. Nobody gave me materials, donated labor, or any thing else.
    So who are the Habitat for Humanity folks with steady jobs who think they deserve a free house.
    The people they give houses to are solid steady working class folks, that if they spent their money wisely could afford to buy a house.
    Thanks for letting me rant, I feel better!!

Yes, it is honest begging.

Perhaps, I should create one for "Curt's kids" -
    College & Law school = $220,000 (plus!)

Then again, my high school senior plans on spending our Florida spring break on the beach with a friend, singing and playing music -soliciting donations for college. Not sure if they will get much, but they will definitely add an atmosphere with both of their talents!

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    I often make donations and loans -- primarily thru http://www.kiva.org. One thing I always take into account is whether or not the person seeking help is doing all they can. I don't contribute until I am convinced that the person in need has done all they can to meet their own needs. That is what is missing for this request -- they have not shared what they are doing to generate funds.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post

I often make donations and loans -- primarily thru http://www.kiva.org. One thing I always take into account is whether or not the person seeking help is doing all they can. I don't contribute until I am convinced that the person in need has done all they can to meet their own needs. That is what is missing for this request -- they have not shared what they are doing to generate funds.
    I 've seen your selfless givings on these boards before, your a very generous man shutterbug. I don't want to assume, but I gotta think you give to other organizations as well, call it a hunch. rhetorical question.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm leaving for the Caribbean in a few days, would anyone want to kick in some $$$ so that I can spend freely & maybe even stay a little longer if I want to? I'm wanting to raise awareness for HAWC......... (How Awesome Winter is in the Caribbean)!! PM me if you want to mail me a check. Thanks!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

This is sickening. Well, but really, it's not their fault. It's the dumba$$e$ who send 'em money. Heck, I shouldn't be surprised - that's how all those wigged-out televangelists get going, too.

I'm seeking balance for my soul by hiking thru this year as well (if I make it)..... 'cause my soul needs some flippin' balancing too, after working since I was 14 years old, staying married for 30+ years, and getting 2 kids thru college. Please send me money NOW!

....and you don't even have to pay for my dog.

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I 've seen your selfless givings on these boards before, your a very generous man shutterbug. I don't want to assume, but I gotta think you give to other organizations as well, call it a hunch. rhetorical question.
    Thanks Rocketsocks. For the last two years, my wife and I reached our personal goal of giving away more than we spent on ourselves. There is satisfaction in generosity.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Thanks Rocketsocks. For the last two years, my wife and I reached our personal goal of giving away more than we spent on ourselves. There is satisfaction in generosity.
    It truly is a great thing to be able to give with no expectation of a return, a true gift. I'm sure you worked hard all your life in order to be able to do that, good deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++