WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Default anyone stay at the blue mountain summit B&B on PA 309?

Reviews? Thinking about staying there on spring hike.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    Reviews? Thinking about staying there on spring hike.
    I went down to it last year, was only on a short section hike so I wasn't really dirty but they still seemed to have a rather pompous attitude. I ended up just walking out without ordering anything. Quite frankly I don't know why I ever even went down there to begin with, everyone I've heard talk about it said they weren't very hiker friendly.

I guess I just really wanted a steak.

Images

anybody else tried this place?
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Stayed there twice, in 2013 and 2014. Found them (Kenny, the manager) to be very hiker friendly on both occasions, although they are primarily a local watering hole/restaurant, and, in my view, not an establisment whose essential business focus is hikers. Stayed in the B&B in 2013 and slept in my tent in their picnic area behind the building in 2014. Water (outside) is available to hikers. AT goes right through their backyard. Kenny even drove me to Allentown where I caught a bus back to Harrisburg where my car was parked. Suggest you call them them and discuss your needs and schedule.

Images

Many years ago I did a section hike starting PA 309, an out and back. They allowed me to leave my car there and fill my water bottles before the hike. A few days later they were very friendly when I stopped in for a beer at the end of the hike. Never stayed there though. I agree with the sentiment above that hikers are not that big of deal to them, so they do not cater. I would guess sometimes attitude plays a roll in how accommodating any facility will be. I wouldn't flat out avoid the place, but I would try to clean up and be presentable as possible before venturing in.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stepinwolfe View Post
    Stayed there twice, in 2013 and 2014. Found them (Kenny, the manager) to be very hiker friendly on both occasions.... Stayed in the B&B in 2013.
    I had the same experience, in March 2013. Just popped in for an early dinner and they were so friendly we got to talking and I stayed the night in a room. Also had breakfast the next morning. I'd definitely recommend the place.

You can tell from the parking lot I didn't have much competition. You can also see the sign on the door for backpackers, so they do welcome hikers.

Rain Man
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rain Man; 02-12-2015 at 11:19.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    I went down to it last year, was only on a short section hike so I wasn't really dirty but they still seemed to have a rather pompous attitude. I ended up just walking out without ordering anything. Quite frankly I don't know why I ever even went down there to begin with, everyone I've heard talk about it said they weren't very hiker friendly.

I guess I just really wanted a steak.
    Please disregard my comment, I had Blue Summit confused with Old South Mtn in Maryland. Never been to Blue Summit, it's the Old South Mtn inn who are rather unfriendly.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I had the same experience, in March 2013. Just popped in for an early dinner and they were so friendly we got to talking and I stayed the night in a room. Also had breakfast the next morning. I'd definitely recommend the place.

You can tell from the parking lot I didn't have much competition. You can also see the sign on the door for backpackers, so they do welcome hikers.

Rain Man
    AWOL's guide shows an 0.8 mile road walk. Do you remember if it was a safe road walk ?
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

It's not 0.8 of a mile, it's almost on the trail, look at it on google maps.

Images

Thank you, you are right. I was confusing this with Blue Mountain Restaurant in Danielsville, PA.
    Last edited by SteelCut; 02-12-2015 at 13:39.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Images

Thanks for all the comments and pics.

Images

Great spot..............he made me a breakfast sandwich with a cup of coffee even though the restaurant was not open. Went back for a quick, small business retreat, live music, jamming bar, good food.

Yes, pretty much right on the trail

NICE BREAK FROM THE ROCKS

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    Please disregard my comment, I had Blue Summit confused with Old South Mtn in Maryland. Never been to Blue Summit, it's the Old South Mtn inn who are rather unfriendly.
    Wow... I ate at the Old South Mtn Inn for a brunch and they were great to us. Sorry you had a bad experience, but I've have to highly recommend them too.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I finished a section hike there in October. I ate a late lunch while I waited for my wife to pick me up. I was the only person in the restaurant at the time. The food was nothing to get excited about. Service was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Wow... I ate at the Old South Mtn Inn for a brunch and they were great to us. Sorry you had a bad experience, but I've have to highly recommend them too.
    I think it just depends on when you show up. I'm pretty certain for me it was a Sunday and not long after church let out. They just didn't come across as professional or welcoming. Perhaps I would have been welcomed if it were a Wednesday...

I'm from Maryland though and I know it's not just me. Plenty of people I've met over the years have also had negative opinions. Normally I'd give someone the benefit of the doubt but enough locals feeling the same way has convinced me it wasn't an isolated incident. I'm sure plenty of locals have also had great experiences, but I've known more who haven't.

Or maybe my charming goods looks just made them nervous and I mistook it for a crappy attitude. Who knows...

I stayed here on a section hike in 2017. It was the owner's day off & he wanted to play golf, so he just left the room key in a hidden spot. I didn't even see him until the next morning. Very informal and hiker friendly IMHO. At breakfast we asked what was on the bill of fare, to which he responded "anything you'd like." So I asked for pancakes, which he then pronounced "a pain in the ass to cook" so we had bacon & eggs instead. Quite a character.

Was there in 2015 (flip-flop). Had coffee with some kind of a local pastry, which was not bad at all. All they ask is that you leave your backpack outside on the bench and be minimally presentable. Good source of water, which in Pennsylvania, in the summer, is priceless.

++ New Posts ++