Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch! View Post
    I'd say hike the PCT. Devote 3 months a year to your newfound hiking addiction. Get a couple masters degrees. Flee to a more civilized part of the world and say **** the loans.
    Doper detected!

j/k

Quote Originally Posted by thewalkingstick View Post
    Doper detected!

j/k
    If monolithic banks can get trillions in bailouts, why not REAL PEOPLE like our OP?

I keep meeting too many people in their 20's with $100k plus in student loan debt. Many of them have poor job prospects.
    Our current national student loan fiasco is the next financial crisis. Reform will happen, one way, or the other.

Plenty of countries in Europe would love to have highly educated Americans jump ship.
    Aim for degrees in hard science. Get as many degrees as you can. Enjoy yourself while doing it. Then bail. Maybe.

Oh yeah, hike a bunch every year.

Tangential Rant Over

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Regardless if it is fair or not, defaulting on students loans are the worst ones to default on by far.

Don't do it.

Unlike credit card debt, mortgages, etc. it is very difficult to get out of student loan debt and can really affect your credit, chances of getting a job and your taxes (should you somehow mange to get a large student loan debt forgiven).

http://www.npr.org/2014/04/14/302906...-student-loans

This happened to a colleague of mine (or rather his wife as part of a fall-out from her previous marriage). She had to agree to not earn more than 10k a year for fixed period (5 yrs? 4 yrs? I forget). And since 45k of this is now forgiven, she owes money for taxes as that forgiven debt is considered income.
    Last edited by Mags; 02-12-2015 at 16:45.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

photo-5.JPGIts Really just a matter of perspective.
    LT '12 | JMT '13 | CT '14 | PCT '15

takeatrek.com

I took a layoff and hiked the AT in 09. I've quit to hike the PCT March 18th.

You need money. But how much of it is up to your lifestyle. If you finish a thru hike it'll change your perspective. They seem to do that.

Images

listen from a guy who knows go hike you can always find a job

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Regardless if it is fair or not, defaulting on students loans are the worst ones to default on by far.

Don't do it.

Unlike credit card debt, mortgages, etc. it is very difficult to get out of student loan debt and can really affect your credit, chances of getting a job and your taxes (should you somehow mange to get a large student loan debt forgiven).

http://www.npr.org/2014/04/14/302906...-student-loans

This happened to a colleague of mine (or rather his wife as part of a fall-out from her previous marriage). She had to agree to not earn more than 10k a year for fixed period (5 yrs? 4 yrs? I forget). And since 45k of this is now forgiven, she owes money for taxes as that forgiven debt is considered income.

That's why my main suggestion is to get as many degrees as possible and then leave to country. Go live in a place with a higher standard of living, and say **** the IRS, and **** student loan/tuition rip offs.

That's why my main suggestion is to get as many degrees as possible and then leave to country. Go live in a place with a higher standard of living, and say **** the IRS, and **** student loan/tuition rip offs.
    Sure, steal from taxpayers and run off. Great idea for lazy and criminally inclined folks. Not so much for honest working people though. At least your philosophy is well stated and clear, most bums don't provide that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Sure, steal from taxpayers and run off. Great idea for lazy and criminally inclined folks. Not so much for honest working people though. At least your philosophy is well stated and clear, most bums don't provide that.
    I believe he was joking. If not then bum is not the right word. It is called a thief.

How about this: say you were injured on the trail collect SSI (because you didn't have a full time job) and have the disability insurance on the loan pay it off. Then bum off your parents or relatives when you spent your check on "entertainment". That, but homelessness is even more fun. Bum the trail. Have enough gear to hang out and pretend you are a thru-hiker. If Winter on the East Coast is too much, try California trails. If you find you cannot bum there. Hang out. Be a poseur. Hussle the "suckers" for cash. In between, go home to your mom. Never admit to drugs, unless you are literally a child of the 60's and at least one parent was a doper then mom will take you in. Maybe not.

Of course, no one has been advising the life you live to a young man who is so fortunate to have a good position you envy so much you would like to bring him down to your level, if you can.

For all I know, this young man will be okay. But no one around here has an employer like he has had. He has full time employment that is not too demanding he can still have a life. He has health benefits, sick leave and retirement. I live where I do because I have my own income. No one else here has. The employers offer nothing and try to beat everyone they employ out of their wages, with lay offs and terminating their employment before workman's compensation kicks in. If residents here get minimum wage, they have more than everyone except the criminals. That is the "economy" here.

Don't do it.
    Mags,

I agree with you, no one should default on their student loans but it comes in second to "child support". Almost all states really hammer parents who owe back child support including jail time/ lost of license and of course credit. A friend of mine owes child support and even making the payments still goes farther in debit with all the taxes and fees that goes along with it.

The worst part about in either case is how many hikers instead of using the money to pay their debit, spend the money to go hiking. If you can't pay your bills, then it is not the right time to spend 6 months hiking.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by crweidert View Post
    ... I feel like I haven't really done much so far in my life and don't want to go to the next life stage (marriage/family) with that sort of feeling.

My questions for people who have done this type of thing....

Do you think it is worth the sacrifice?..
    You have received a lot of advice from different perspectives, but not very many people have said that they are "people who have done this type of thing." I assume that you meant people who at age 27 decided to do something to make a difference in the direction of their life.

I qualify -- at age 27, I realized that I didn't really like the direction of my life. I was an officer/pilot in the USAF and could have had a career that most people would have thought was great. I was offered a regular commission in the USAF if I would agree to stay at least four more years. It was a job that offered good pay, work that I enjoyed and 30 days of vacation each year.

I decided that it wasn't what I wanted. I quit the USAF and went to law school -- 3 years without pay. It was the best decision of my life. I am now comfortably retired. I hike anywhere and any time I want. I have listed some of the things I have done on a "Done That List" at http://www.davemcclung.com.

Since you asked for advice from some who have been where you are, here it is:

The way you worded the question considers only two options a) Continue on the career path you are on or b)Go hike the PCT. Those are not your only options. My advise is to think long range. What do you want to make of your life? When you die at age 101, what will they say at your funeral? I can assure you it won't be, "He once hiked the PCT."

Once you begin to focus long-term, the decision to hike the PCT may fit the plan or not. I didn't start on my career until I was 30. The adventures I had prior to that time were beneficial. If hiking the PCT fits with your long range goals, go for it, but it should be part of your vision, not your life's goal.

I will share an observation with you. A lot of my contemporaries got hung up on what they did in their 20's. They are the ones you see in WalMart wearing the "I served in Vietnam" ball caps. When I see one of those guys, I say "Thank you for your service", but I also wonder, "What have you done with your life since then?" For some people a thru hike can be the same sort of thing -- the accomplishment of a life-time. My advice is to make a thru hike a significant goal, but not "the goal" of your life.

At age 27, you are at the age where you should be forming a vision about what you want to do with the rest of your life. Aim high!!! It may include doing a thru-hike of the PCT, but it should include more than that.
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 02-21-2015 at 13:40.
    Shutterbug

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Being married to someone who is a German citizen, and is currently going for her dual citizenship, I can assure you that Western Europe and the US very much share financial, legal and other records. The German government, for example, wants a copy of my passport. Mind you, I am not applying for German (EU) citizenship. The German govt just wants to know why my wife is living in the US if she wants to retain her German citizenship. That' s just one, of many, examples.

Your advice is naive. And wrong.

Your idea may work in other countries, not in the types of countries you are alluding to.

Good luck having a career in one of those countries if you defaulted on may dollars of student loans..or even getting permanent legal residence.
    Last edited by Mags; 02-21-2015 at 14:23.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I believe he was joking. If not then bum is not the right word. It is called a thief.
    Good point if true, if not, I was trying to be kind.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Good point if true, if not, I was trying to be kind.
    I'm an optimist!!!

Being married to someone who is a German citizen, and is currently going for her dual citizenship, I can assure you that Western Europe and the US very much share financial, legal and other records. The German government, for example, wants a copy of my passport. Mind you, I am not applying for German (EU) citizenship. The German govt just wants to know why my wife is living in the US if she wants to retain her German citizenship. That' s just one, of many, examples.

Your advice is naive. And wrong.

Your idea may work in other countries, not in the types of countries you are alluding to.

Good luck having a career in one of those countries if you defaulted on may dollars of student loans..or even getting permanent legal residence.
    This is exactly correct. I am a US citizen living in Germany now and I had to go through the residence permit application process. For students or unemployed people, in order to get a visa longer than 90 days you have to prove that you have a minimum amount of money. (For Germany it is about $9,000) So if you don't have a job, and you don't have nine thousand dollars, and you DO have tens of thousands of debt, you will absolutely NOT be able to run off to Europe to escape your troubles. (Sasquatch, do you think you are the first person to have this idea or something?????)

The other reason this advice is so terrible is that you could just go to a university in Germany in the first place. (Universities here are free for EVERYONE, and many have programs in English) Then you could easily find a career in Germany after you graduate. Why go through all the trouble of ruining your life with debt first, that makes no sense LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by crweidert View Post
    Ultimately I would like to do what most people do in the next few years... get married, have a family.. and I imagine that a 4-5 month hike is no longer possible until retirement.
    I'm going to give you the same advice I give my kids, age 17 and 20 and it's not something that's going to go over well but I'll say it anyway: Stay single. You don't HAVE to get married and have a family. You want freedom? Money? Options? Be your own person and stay single. It's not what you make...It's how much you spend and there is nothing more costlier than marriage, family, buying a house, etc, etc..and for what? Why do you feel you have to do this? There's no law that that is the life you have to lead.

If you get caught up in the rat race of marriage, family, debt load, etc..You will have to get that job and spend the next 35-40 years in the grind and hope that you'll stay healthy enough to regain the freedom you have now. There are no guarantees in life. My father was one who always said "Later, later I will do it." Then he got cancer and died 6 months later.

I've lived in a place I've hated, worked a job I don't like for the past 25 years. I was stuck in a miserable marriage that fortunately ended. Yes, I have a family and kids I love and soon my kids will soon be leaving the nest and so will I. I'm paying off all my debts, selling everything and who knows? ...Maybe I'll join your on the PCT! In any case, I'd love to be you,...25 years younger and able to look forward with the freedom and option to make life decisions, rather than looking back and saying "I'd wish I'd done it differently and hope that there's still plenty of life to live.

Personally, I think you made a good decision..go with your gut but don't think you HAVE to live your life in a certain way. Don't fall into that trap. There's no "right way" to do everything for everyone..there's only the right way for you. Best of luck whatever you do and wherever you go.

Journal Entries

If was your dad, which I am not, I would want you to take the job. If it was me, I would take the hike.

Images

Im 27 years old myself and am considering doing the same thing. However, I have already thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail. I did it in between college and starting my job. Similarly, I am apathetic in my current position. Its a great job with fantastic benefits working for a very large pharmaceutical company. If I stayed here for an additional 5-10 years (I've been here almost 4, now) I could surely work my way up to a higher paying position. I've already started the climb. But I just dont think its the direction I want my life to go. I'm getting extremely bored. Looking to quit next spring and do a PCT thru-hike and hopefully stay out on the west coast.

Your college loans complicate things a bit more for you. I was lucky enough to acquire scholarships and make it through with no debt. I would recommend working on paying those off before making a huge lifestyle change. I think it will just free you up to make your life away from work more stress-free.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to talk more as we are in similar positions!

The OP peaced out of this thread 6 weeks ago.

But this is always a relevant topic for would-be thru hikers. I think people see the AT, PCT, etc as a way to escape their current situation and somehow come out on the other end free of whatever problems they are dealing with.

The reality is, most problems will wait for you. And sometimes compound.

I think a long hike could be a great time to sort things out mentally or deal with some grief. A lot of people are drawn to it for the sheer experience and accomplishment, which is also great. But walking for 4-6 months isn't going to make your debt go away, or your job/marriage/home life suck any less, or make you more employable when you finish. I just think any wanna-be thru hiker needs to go into with the expectation their life will circumstantially be the same when they return. It's a journey, not a solution.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++