WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Training

Default Training

How's the training going? What's everyone doing? I've been walking three hours take some food n water then another three hours. Monday I will add the final three hour set which is the plan for the hike. 3h hike half hour rest 3 times a day for 10 hour days. This isn't written in stone and if it goes like this I'd be shocked but it is a rough plan

Walking 6-10 miles a day with a full pack. Gonna try and step it up this week. When are you leaving?

Doing quite a bit of snowshoeing now that there is plenty on the ground here. It seems to be good training since it basically amounts to resistance walking, I feel all the key hiking muscles working as well as lots of ankle exercise from the shoes flexing to the terrain. Also much of my day job involves trudging through a foot of snow in steel toed insulated boots carrying a chainsaw which doesn't hurt either. It's been a little while since I've had a loaded pack on and I'm sure the start is going to hurt as every trip seems to but I feel fine overall about my conditioning.

I will be at ATKO and plan to step off 9 mar.

If I get a chance I'll probably do the roller coaster a few times before I start my thru, other then that I won't be doing anything more then my normal gym routine.
    (It's actually a pretty easy section of trail, but the constant ups and downs are good for conditioning.)

I did switch to Bud Light Platinum. Budweiser just wasn't cutting it.

Being a regular backpacker I'm never that worried about getting in shape, I tend to keep my trail legs. At best it'll take me a few days to get into the swing of things.

Bulking on those burgers and IPAs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started in Sept using an old school backpack of my son's filled with 1 gal. water and 5 bricks. 26.7lbs. jogging 1.8 miles every morning in old school leather hiking boots(combat style).
    Can you say, "mud ruck training". then teaching karate 3 nights a week.
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Snowshoeing with a 30# pack 5 to 6 miles four days a week, but my favorite days are when I carry my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter who as hiked many miles on my back comes to about 32# with carrier. Also do some xcountry skiing.

Hard to beat snowshoeing in powder. For the folks without that option, walking with a backpack with bags of sand tends to be the best option.

Or just do a lot of walking. I'm not sure adding a backpack gains you all that much.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Or just do a lot of walking. I'm not sure adding a backpack gains you all that much.
    Other then getting used to your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    Other then getting used to your gear.
    Other *than getting used to your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I have always felt walking with a backpack with similar to the weight you will carrying on the trail helps get you ready. It also may encourage you to make some weight reductions.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

My experience is that going up and down hills helps me the most. Luckily, that is right outside of my house. 12 full laps from the top of our property across the street, down to the small creek and back is about 700 yards, best I can figure.

I have had serious back issues and am just starting to recover from surgery. (October after last section hike)

NO PACK works for me, if I am in good shape and my core (Pilates) and legs are solid, I am good to go.

Most of this is mental, we have ALL DAY to hike.........numbers are easy to toss around but for me, at my age, averaging over 12 MPD on 2 weeks hikes is good.

I consistently go from my office chair to the AT with little to no pack work, and have completed 1700 miles. Planning on finishing this Fall.

Putting a pack during "training" on adds a LOT of stress and strain to my body.

Default Traing

With enough hiking, you'll no longer need to train as all of these will become second nature....

Eating food off the ground
    Eating dry raman noodles for breakfast
    Sleeping in pubic bath rooms
    Not talking to anyone for 12-24 hrs at a time.
    Watching lots of really old movies on VHS
    Wearing same socks for 4 days in a row
    Pretending to be interested when someone want's to talk
    Using only 4 squares of toilet paper
    Sleeping on floor
    Not showing
    Not wearing deodorant
    Standing on deserted road with thumb out
    Demanding special treatment at stores, hotels, etc
    Repeating out loud while shaking head side to side - I told everyone..I told everyone...I told everyone.

For more training http://omails.blogspot.com/2015/01/a...tuational.html

I've been walking a 3 mile loop close to daily that is AT comparable with 90% of my AT load. Yesterday the weather was just perfect so I bumped up to 5 miles. Seriously up and down and rocky and I covered it in 3 hrs. I feel really good about my plan to start with 8-10 mile days. I'm going to push the mileage to 5-6 a day to build muscle and cardio. FWIW I feel like the pack weight helps with both.

I've been doing ~3 mile runs every day with my dog (added resistance, he likes to pull) followed by the Body Beast program. The leg days in that program are brutal. I went skiing for two days in a row this week where there were no lines and kept going top to bottom, one of the days being a powder day, and my legs weren't sore at all after. I also do the P90X ab workout every other day prior to running. I should be in good all around shape when starting but adapting to hiking might take a few days.

Images

I have used Clyde Soles mountaineering training program for years (book on amazon) . Three months intensive gym/hill training. Also use a heart-rate monitor. Best training tool since the stop watch.

Images

We have a little "after work walking club" thing going on, been doing the same thing every late-winter/early spring for 13 years running, getting our feet/lower legs toughened up for the main hiking season. Last night we walked 17 miles around Denver parks, finishing at a cool little downtown bar. Doing this 5-6 times really toughens up our feet and legs and takes 90% of long distance hiking discomfort away, I've found.

So, really, just walk, walk, WALK! (but getting used to your gear, as said below, is a good thing too).

After reading this thread ...Not enough!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++