WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana AT newbies looking for an easy out and back

Hello! I am new to this forum, new to the AT, and new to the East Coast. My dog and I are recent Virginia transplants from the West, where we have hiked all over Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, California, Nevada...

Here's the story. My dog and I are avid hikers of mountains. We've hiked the Tetons, gotten lost in the High Uintas, regularly fished up and down a line of glacial lakes at 11,000 feet, wandered around pretty much anywhere that screams "I AM A MOUNTAIN AND I MUST BE HIKED." However, now we are in NoVa with no mountains. We've tried to make do with the copious amounts of trees and ticks (ugh), but it's not the same.

Thus, as an item on my 13 year old hiking partner's bucket list, we want to start the AT. However, he is now an old man dog in declining health. A big, rapidly growing mass in his liver, back end arthritis, Cushing's, and mild hearing loss are limiting his activity from what it once was. I want take him on a relatively easy out and back as my way of starting what is sure to be a multiple-year adventure section hiking. I'll start the AT with him, and will most likely finish it with another dog in the future. I want Wyatt The Dog to be able to say he hiked the AT before he crosses.

Right now, I am interested in the Virginia sections of the trail. Can anyone recommend a good area for a old dog and his human to start a new hiking adventure? Any hikes in particular stand out to you? I'm planning on a weekend trip while staying in a dog friendly B&B or motel in the area, probably anywhere from late March (if the weather continues to be warm) all the way to June, if possible. I don't know how long he will be around.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give. I already ordered the Virginia trail section books from the ATC, and they should be here next week.

Cheers!
    Starbuck and Wyatt The Dog

Hikingupward.com lists quite a lot of hikes (day and overnight) in the VA area. There are some great hiking trails near NoVA.
    There are also several very active Meetup.com hiking groups (day and overnight).
    Hitting a B&B or Motel is outside my realm of knowledge.

Thanks! I've actually been using that site, and a NoVa Dogs Meetup group, for hiking our area since we got here. They have been extremely helpful and a lot of fun to hike with other dogs and their owners. It's been difficult to adjust to the area, so I have decided that the AT will be my goal. It will give me something to focus on other than how homesick I am for my Uintas.

Journal Entries

The AT through Shenandoah is gently graded and scenic. It's a good place for new hikers to explore, and probably a good place for an old dog to prepare for his eventual "crossing."

Yea, looks like the Shenandoah is the closest section of the AT to you and for the most part is pretty easy. But since the trail has to avoid the road, it can get pretty bumpy and rocky at times.

The section just south of the Shenandoah NP in also nice, but it gets a bit harder south of Three Ridges Mt. On average, there would probably be less traffic on the section just south of the park then in the park.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I live in north NC. The grayson highlands state park is a great hike and is part of the AT. beautiful mountains.

Images

From where you live Snickers Gap is closer. Hike north to Harper's Ferry,W.Va.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I have added Harper's Ferry, Shenandoah, south of Shenandoah and Grayson Highlands to our list. We were planning on camping and fishing in Harper's Ferry this summer, so that would work well. So much to explore...

Hi Starbuck. Welcome to the "hood"! I live in Loudoun County near the AT and Harpers Ferry. A 13.5 mile section of the AT in the immediate area is called the Roller Coaster. It goes up and down ALOT with few views, hence the name. It may be a bit tough on your dog to do more than a mile so you may want to just stick with the C&O canal trail with him. It's across the bridge from Harpers Ferry (big train tressle bridge with many steps, scary for some dogs and difficult for older dogs to negotiate) but you can get there by car too. And its nice and flat but runs along the river, which is nice. Also I used to be a vet tech and just want to remind you that your dog will want to please you and is probably very stoic. Most dogs will not let you know they are in pain until it is depilitating and obvious. Ask your vet what your pup can handle and about any pain meds that may help with post hike pain. Good luck with him and your new life here in VA wine country!! If you want some local knowlege PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McAfee Knob is probably the single most photographed spot on the whole AT. If you Google Appalachian Trail and go to the pictures tab, you will see a bunch of pics of people sitting on a rock ledge. That's it. You can do this as an out and back hike from the trail head on VA 311 near Catawba which is near Roanoke. There is a large parking lot at the trail head. It is a very popular day hike. You will have plenty of company, especially on weekends (you need someone to take your picture for you). My data says it is 3.7 miles one way with a 1200 foot elevation gain (don't know if this is too much for your partner). However the elevation gain is very gradual so you don't really notice it too much. Also, there are two hiking options. You can take the AT, which like much of the AT has some ups and downs and some rocks, but the trails is mostly pretty easy. It passes two shelters (1 and 2 miles from the trail head). But for much of the route, the AT parallels an old fire road so if you need a slightly easier trail, you can hike this one or both directions (but this will by-pass the shelters). There are no reliable water sources on the trail, so carry water, although in the spring, water may be flowing by the shelter. This site has a map showing both trails, with elevation profile.

http://www.backpacker.com/trips/virg...a-mcafee-knob/

MK.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Hikingupward.com lists quite a lot of hikes (day and overnight) in the VA area.
    Sorry for the off-topic - but that is an amazing site. Does anyone know a similar site that covers the SE? I'm thinking southern NC, SC, and eastern GA.

Thanks
    --

Hike Safe.

I am from Bristow so just down the street from you. For hiking in your immediate area I suggest Prince William Forest, The Occuquan Trail (Runs 18 miles from Fountainhead Park to Bull Run Regional Park), and Great Falls. These are all within a 30 min drive or so. Fishing is available along much of the Occuquan Trail (as well as swimming for the dog which is what I do). The easiest place to access the AT is US-55 in Linden (Exit 13 on 66). From there you can hike north to HF or south to SNP. Both north and south have shelters just a few miles away ~3-4 if you are looking to get out for a night in the tent but can't leave until after work Friday night. As noted, south of SNP is a great area and the AT north through WV, MD, and into PA is not a far drive either. I hope you find your way around. Overall, NoVA isn't a bad area with lots to do within a hour or 2 drive.

SNP is an obvious choice for relatively easy hiking. I'm from the west as well and it took a while to regard the mountains here in VA as "mountains" compared to the Sierra Nevada but we DO have mountains here and SNP is a great place to discover them.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Thanks everyone! It's looking like we'll do some SNP starting in late April, early May, then Harper's Ferry after that. Say hi if you see us on the trail!1779267_10203224837811584_1967477295_n.jpg

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by starbuck1 View Post
    Thanks everyone! It's looking like we'll do some SNP starting in late April, early May, then Harper's Ferry after that. Say hi if you see us on the trail!1779267_10203224837811584_1967477295_n.jpg
    We'll be in Northern VA over the Memorial Day weekend. Maybe we'll cross paths. Keep your eyes open for a middle-aged couple plodding slowly along the trail.

++ New Posts ++