WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I want a lighter beanie.

So I'm in the market for a new head piece. I have a Smartwool Cuffed Merino Beanie which is pretty comfortable and warm. However, as I get keep getting the "go lighter and lighter" bug. I'm looking at lighter alternatives. My merino beanie weighs 2.02 ounces. It's pretty heavy as I see most fleece beanies are right around an ounce.

I have my eyes on a Patagonia Capilene 4 Beanie. Everyone is claiming it's pretty warm and is listed at 0.7 ounces.

So, can anyone give me some advice. The 1.3 ounce weight savings is why I'm really giving this some thought.

Very happy with my Cap 4.
    As a grid fleece- poor wind resistance but that makes it more versatile IMO as long as you have a wind shell hood somewhere in your system (Houdini for me) when you need it to be warmest. When moving, leave the hood off and you get something closer to a Cap 2 beanie in terms of warmth.

Damn near every trip- Skirt, Merino 1 top, Houdini, Cap 4 hat. Typically it's the hat, not the windshell that I take on/off as I move. I run hot, but this hat under a hood is usually it for me into the upper 20's.

Only big problem- you hardly ever find them on sale- more importantly, I don't see them listed at the moment, just a balaclava.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Very happy with my Cap 4.
    As a grid fleece- poor wind resistance but that makes it more versatile IMO as long as you have a wind shell hood somewhere in your system (Houdini for me) when you need it to be warmest. When moving, leave the hood off and you get something closer to a Cap 2 beanie in terms of warmth.

Damn near every trip- Skirt, Merino 1 top, Houdini, Cap 4 hat. Typically it's the hat, not the windshell that I take on/off as I move. I run hot, but this hat under a hood is usually it for me into the upper 20's.

Only big problem- you hardly ever find them on sale- more importantly, I don't see them listed at the moment, just a balaclava.
    I have noticed the same thing. I can find them at random websites but all for a lot of money. $25+ shipping is a little steep. I wonder why Patagonia isn't listing them.

Don't get older version cap Beenie...mine doest cover my ears...I love my cap 4 hoodie....great buy...I get to hot to wear a Beenie while hiking but the hoodie is easy to vent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very pleased with my Mtn Hardware Microdome at .80 oz 23 grams $13 (Amazon Sale) for Hiking and when I don't care about sweat or wetness.

I also have a Schampa silkweight Balaclava 1.05 oz 29g that cost $11.02 cents - (Amazon again) Used more for face and neck than head and I may switch out for a buff if I could find one lighter than 29 grams.

I don't like Hoods and use Top Quilts in a Hammock; so no mummy bag head protection. Sunday I ordered a Black Rock Original Down Cap .952 oz 27g $65 (Free Shipping). It just arrived today! That was quick and included a personal note from Evan!

I have learned that Covering and Venting my Bald Head does more for my body core temperature than any other peice of equiptment. I walk on a regular bases to figure out what equiptment will work at which temperature in Metro Parks so that I am ready for the Trail. Therefore, I have honed my head gear down to the above and am more than satisfied that I have a temperature range covered. I hate being cold and at those weights...I don't mind the heavy head gear.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Images

Also checkout zpacks, fleece bean is around an ounce. I bought two but have worn just one for the past few years, it is gettin a little thin from all the washings.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I have noticed the same thing. I can find them at random websites but all for a lot of money. $25+ shipping is a little steep. I wonder why Patagonia isn't listing them.
    Unfortunately, IIRC, they are $30 to start, $15-20 on sale. If you have them by you, Dick's Sporting Goods is one of the vendors Patagonia sells unsold/overstock stuff to.

Patagonia stuff is very seasonal, as in, buy it that season or you're outta luck. They carry almost nothing as "stock" even the constant stuff is always switching colors or getting issued as special editions. It may not have even been offered this season, I don't see it on the women's sale site either.

The nice thing is there is a sale every few months, the not nice thing is that the good stuff is often gone by the time the sale comes around.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Don't know the exact weight, but would something like this work as well?
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PV040TG/...SIN=B00PV040TG

or even this?
    http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Men-s...f=cts_ap_1_fbt

The C9 clothing is pretty good. Looks VERY similar to the cap 4 beanie.

At the very least, you may be able to go to your local Tar-zhey and weigh it?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I think I'm gonna watch some stores and see if I can pick up a Cap 4 beanie or Microdome on the cheap.

I hate how everything always has Manufacturers Emblems printed so boldly.

I miss my surplus store fleece beanie. I had a nice carhartt one two. Left it at a movie theater, ruined the rest of the day for me.

I do think I'm gonna enjoy a fleece beanie more than my merino one. Not just for the weight savings.

I have an older Mountain Hardware fleece beany. Weights 0.9 ounces and is very warm. I carry it on every hike, even in the dead of summer down south here. I think it cost less than $20 at REI. Love it.

My Moutain Hardware Microdome doesn't really have a bold emblem - more like pressed material image that is not obtrusive at all. I know what you mean by a BOLD Emblem and I do not care for those either. No worries with the Microdome.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Select: weight, wind or rain resistant, style, color DIY/MYOG

Fleece
    http://www.owfinc.com/fabrics.html

Fleece
    http://therainshed.com

Patterns
    http://www.thegreenpepper.com/hats.html?id=HmRnXtNh

thread, needles, elastic, trim etc.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65679

Closest substitute I could find.

Capeline 4 is Polartec Power Dry High Efficiency. It is a variation on the original "R1" grid fleece. The pattern is almost reversed (grid size to open space). The LLBEAN hat above is likely closer to an R1 hat than a Cap4. You might have a store near you that you could get one in hand and see. I suspect though you'll find it's a basic grid fleece, I don't think anyone but Patagonia has the Cap4 flavor of this fabric.

What size hat are you? I'm 7 and 3/4, and I've literally ordered 7 or 8 beanies and returned them all because not a single one fit me. Finally settled on the greenish Polartech fleece surplus one (which just barely covers my ears...bottoms still stick out a touch). It was $10 and weighs 1.17 ounces (they're available on eBay all the time).

I bought a turtle fur fleece Beenie last year after others reccs......way warmer than my pstagoochie Beenie...definitely heavier but covers ears and some...blaze orange for hunting season hikes....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    What size hat are you? I'm 7 and 3/4, and I've literally ordered 7 or 8 beanies and returned them all because not a single one fit me. Finally settled on the greenish Polartech fleece surplus one (which just barely covers my ears...bottoms still stick out a touch). It was $10 and weighs 1.17 ounces (they're available on eBay all the time).
    I don't know my head size exactly, but I always know I size one up from "normal" when it comes to ball caps and most skull caps and stuff are tight on me. I prefer full coverage with my beanies. I like when the fully cover my ears, have length in the back, and when pullled down tonight pretty much cover my eyebrows.

My old fleece surplus beanie did exactly that. Quite comfortable too. I think the tag inside just said polartech. It was foliage green and cost $10. Lost it before I ever took it backpacking though. My next hat I bought is my current one, the smartwool cuffed beanie.

The Capilene 4 Beanie seemed to be like the Cadillac, then the mountain hardware, then the old trusty surplus hat.

decisions, decisions.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The surplus fleece beanie can be found in many places.

Here's a similar one from Amazon in array of colors. I have a grey one and it is warm, light and very affordable. Runs large as well.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007M67JQI/...ter_B0014S9I5A $6 shipped.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

You might find the Cap4 a hair small/short.
    It will get to your earlobes with a good tug, but it's fairly minimal in size. It fits me best about mid ear and only goes to the nape of your neck. Most often it will creep up and end up above your ears like a ball cap would.
    It's not generously cut- it's meant to be something light you slip on under other garments. If you want a HAT hat, this isn't it- I'd call this a beanie.

It's meant to be a "liner" hat for winter- but the size and fabric make it a perfect three season hat for me personally and great in combo with a wind shell hood. I like being able to regulate my temps with a hat over slipping on or carrying other clothing.

Hey Mags, I think the actual issue stuff is made by Polartec.

Rothco, Condor, and other brands like that aren't true USGI.

And after owning some Rothco/Condor items.. I believe they are inferior products to actual usgi stuff. I never bought them, but received some condor magazine pouches for a run-n-gun competition from my neighbor. They were torn up by the end of they day.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    You might find the Cap4 a hair small/short.
    It will get to your earlobes with a good tug, but it's fairly minimal in size. It fits me best about mid ear and only goes to the nape of your neck. Most often it will creep up and end up above your ears like a ball cap would.
    It's not generously cut- it's meant to be something light you slip on under other garments. If you want a HAT hat, this isn't it- I'd call this a beanie.

It's meant to be a "liner" hat for winter- but the size and fabric make it a perfect three season hat for me personally and great in combo with a wind shell hood. I like being able to regulate my temps with a hat over slipping on or carrying other clothing.
    Good to know. The Cap 4 beanie may not be for me after all. I would like something that breathes well, but I need something to sleep in as well. I use a top quilt so I have no insulation around my head unless wearing a hat, buff, or hooded puffy.

I find I wear a hat to bed once the temp dips below 65 degrees.

Just Bill your a hammock hanger correct? How do you insulate your head when hanging?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++