WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sierra High Route, permits, maps, GPS tracks etc...

I'm thinking about hiking the Sierra High Route this summer. Since there is a lot of walking off trail, how exactly do permits work? You get your permit for the trail head you start at, tell the ranger your itinerary, and that's all? Is Skurka's map and data set the most updated option. I assume SOBO is the better direction, but a permit from Yosemite would be harder to get right?

Images

Buy Steve Ropers book. That and a decent map of the area. I marked the route on the NatGeo maps.

you get permit from SEKI if heading north. They ask for daily destinations but these are guidelines not requirements. It's pretty straightforward.

Images

Good questions, I plan on research myself as I definitely will do this one soon, sorry no real answers right now but why SOBO? I'm definitely going to go NOBO, I figured that out at least; walking away from the sum (vs. facing it), walking with the "season" meaning might still be snow up north, should be gone south, so NOBO seems better in this respect. Skurka did NOBO, and he says the logistics are easier that way...

I'm definitely going to buy Roper's book.

Anyway, should be easy from a permit standpoint, I think. As far as "the latest", most is off trail anyway, so I plan on just following the route on that web page:

http://www.onthetrail.org/shr.html

Already have the GPS points downloaded and the route scoped out. I simply cannot wait to give this one a try!

Images

Personally if I were to do it again I would do it in early July in a normal snow year. I did it in early August in a normal year and I would have liked more snow. While counterintuitive, snow is easier to navigate than either scree or talus. There is an area just north of snow tongue pass that is at least a half mile of talus. Snow on that section would have been a blessing.

Also, going NoBo you will be going down the steeper and more snowy side. I would rather use microspikes and ice axe to descend along with a couple of glissades.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Personally if I were to do it again I would do it in early July in a normal snow year. I did it in early August in a normal year and I would have liked more snow. While counterintuitive, snow is easier to navigate than either scree or talus. There is an area just north of snow tongue pass that is at least a half mile of talus. Snow on that section would have been a blessing.

Also, going NoBo you will be going down the steeper and more snowy side. I would rather use microspikes and ice axe to descend along with a couple of glissades.
    Excellent point about the snow being helpful. I had forgotten about that obvious point (we seek snow all the time in our mountain climbs, MUCH easier usually), Also good additional point about using snow for easier descents on north sides.

I'm so excited about this route.

I would say 90% of SHR thru-hikers NEED(NON-OPTIONAL) Steve Roper's book to thru the SHR and Skurka's mapset. Go NOBO. It is easier but the SHR is NOT really an easy follow the signs or blazes type hike. Follow Andrew's maps. Well done!

From Aug on into early Oct you should be able to avoid all snow travel unless you are still hiking into mid Oct as I was one yr when I got snowed on twice up to 5" each time. The Sierras are pretty with some new snow as Malto said.

There are some steep but non technical but three contact pt up/down climbing at several of the passes and a few other places. Care and, although some may disagree, mid tops, are in order. IMHO, this is not a low cut UL flimsy trail runner type route.

Thanks for all the advice Malto and Dogwod, I was hoping to see responses from y'all. Thanks for the link rob, you got me pointed in the right direction.

I ordered Roper's Book. Now I've got another question. How many days should I plan for this hike? I'm not sure how much off trail hiking/scrambling will slow me down. If I schedule 11-12 hiking days (18-16 miles/day) will that allow me to hike all day, but not feel too rushed? I'd hate to get into camp early just to sit there being eaten up by mosquitoes.

For reference, I hiked Harpers Ferry to Katahdin in 52 days (22.5 miles/day) including zeros, I hiked the Colorado Trail in 20 days (24 miles/day) including zeros. I like to get up at first light, hike all day, and get to camp as the sun goes down. I don't like getting to camp at 3PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fairway View Post
    How many days should I plan for this hike? I'm not sure how much off trail hiking/scrambling will slow me down. If I schedule 11-12 hiking days (18-16 miles/day) will that allow me to hike all day, but not feel too rushed? I'd hate to get into camp early just to sit there being eaten up by mosquitoes.

For reference, I hiked Harpers Ferry to Katahdin in 52 days (22.5 miles/day) including zeros, I hiked the Colorado Trail in 20 days (24 miles/day) including zeros. I like to get up at first light, hike all day, and get to camp as the sun goes down. I don't like getting to camp at 3PM.
    Somewhere on Skurka's logistics link he says to plan on about 50-70% of your typical on-trail miles. I'm pretty much a 20 MPD average on various trails, so I think I will plan on 12-13 MPD. Being more of a 24 MPD, maybe 15??? I think 16-18 might be a bit of a stretch for someone used to 24 MPD on easy trail, but just my guess.

Hiking in the Sierras is nothing like hiking in the east on, say, the AT... the drop-dead gorgeous terrain and views also tend to slow one down a bit... at least in my case. On the AT there's really not much to do or see during a typical hiking day, so one just keeps hiking and gets big MPD easily.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fairway View Post
    Thanks for all the advice Malto and Dogwod, I was hoping to see responses from y'all. Thanks for the link rob, you got me pointed in the right direction.

I ordered Roper's Book. Now I've got another question. How many days should I plan for this hike? I'm not sure how much off trail hiking/scrambling will slow me down. If I schedule 11-12 hiking days (18-16 miles/day) will that allow me to hike all day, but not feel too rushed? I'd hate to get into camp early just to sit there being eaten up by mosquitoes.

I hiked the SHR before I started getting into doing serious mile days but 50-60% is probably not far off. It varies considerable depending on terrain. One day in particular just north of Mather had us going over 4 12k passes in a day. Navigation takes time and it's not just strategic navigation. I would call it tactical navigation, or route finding. You know that the route goes over a notch, how exactly to get up there could be an easy endevour or one that added an hour unexpectedly. The four pass day also wore us out mentally because the ratio of time you can just chill out and walk is fairly low.

based on your number I would target about 12 mpd.

The first time I did it I think I only hiked 7 or 8 mpd cuz of navigation. The second time was much faster...

++ New Posts ++