Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I don't view hiking 20-25 miles per day as a "rat race" at all. I like walking all day. I don't like spending lots of time in camp. I agree that some people may want a more leisurely experience but it doesn't follow that hiking at a faster pace implies missing scenery. I don't feel like I miss anything when hiking 20+ miles per day.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

latest number of permit request for april
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Best tactic, across the board, is to quit glorifying thru-hikes. Makes MUCH more sense to me to split these long hikes into two. So much more lee-way for timing, so much more time for enjoyment, so much more relaxing.

I'm retired, have absolutely no desire to exchange one rat-race for another. I see no advantage at all to "racing" through some of the most beautiful areas on earth at 20, 25 miles per day. Yet this is exactly what most folks encourage, including the ATC and PCTA, if not through their explicit recommendations, through their (and our) attitudes and adulation heaped on through hikers.

Section hiking offers all the possibilities of through hiking, and adds lots of advantages.

Off my soapbox now.
    I like your soapbox. Section hiking has a great potential to reduce the strain on trail systems caused by hiker bubbles.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

+1

At first, I thought it was an admirable achievement much like marathon running (not hiking).

Then, I became concerned about new hikers hating the outdoors for hardships they have because it is too much, or, they are ill-equipped and unprepared.

Now, I have read journals and books and seen You Tube video and DVD's I don't believe it. I don't believe the trail was thru-hiked, when I know those regions first hand and those trails features first hand.

Do they want fame? Do they want sponsors?

I like the thread: hiking for hiking sake.

We have "rewards" they will never comprehend unless they hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    +1

At first, I thought it was an admirable achievement much like marathon running (not hiking).

Then, I became concerned about new hikers hating the outdoors for hardships they have because it is too much, or, they are ill-equipped and unprepared.

Now, I have read journals and books and seen You Tube video and DVD's I don't believe it. I don't believe the trail was thru-hiked, when I know those regions first hand and those trails features first hand.

Do they want fame? Do they want sponsors?

I like the thread: hiking for hiking sake.

We have "rewards" they will never comprehend unless they hike.
    its only too much if you aren't prepared for it.

I thru hiked the PCT and I'm more less section hiking the AT. One is not better than the other but they are whole different critters. the intense focus and drive of completing the trail on a thru is unlike anything I have experience in my life. It was my singular mission and when accomplished was a major accomplishment. On the other hand I believe section hikers are bad a$$ed in their own right. They know full well what is waiting for them when they start the next section, getting their trail legs back. Yet they do it again year after year.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I don't view hiking 20-25 miles per day as a "rat race" at all. I like walking all day. I don't like spending lots of time in camp. I agree that some people may want a more leisurely experience but it doesn't follow that hiking at a faster pace implies missing scenery. I don't feel like I miss anything when hiking 20+ miles per day.
    agreed.

i took 3 days in yosemite on my pct thru and planned on taking some time off, but i still somehow did 20-25 miles a day. it sure was really leisurely and wonderful. but just being outside in beautiful places i can't help but want to see more. i love sunrise and sunset the best, so just being out and active for so many hours in the day it's hard to not hike at least 20 miles.

hiking 20-25 miles every day is really not an achievement, it's just the result of really really liking to hike and wanting to see as much of wonderful things as possible. if someone is trying to be famous, then spending lots of time by themselves far away from others outside seems like a really bad way to achieve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    latest number of permit request for april
    I can't find the calendar on a PC. Any ideas?

CF97 > Everything Else.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I can't find the calendar on a PC. Any ideas?
    You've gotta fill out the form to see the calendar.

https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-tr...ermit-request/
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Quote Originally Posted by fireneck View Post
    You've gotta fill out the form to see the calendar.

https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-tr...ermit-request/
    Oh OK thanks. Since I'm not hiking I was reluctant to fill in the form

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Oh OK thanks. Since I'm not hiking I was reluctant to fill in the form
    You don't have to fill out anything other than indicating a NOBO thru. Then the calendar should appear.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    You don't have to fill out anything other than indicating a NOBO thru. Then the calendar should appear.
    Great, thanks.

I'm really surprised at the numbers starting in March or early April. I have to wonder if they're hiking the entire trail, how capable they are at early season snow in the High Sierra, or how slow they plan on going. IMO, for the most part, water sources dictate at least 15-20 miles per day. Should be interesting.

Last year, many hikers started early and got away with it due to the drought. I ran into several March starters on Mt. Baden Powell in early April which had surprisingly little snow as it's normally impassible then. Their May entry was still better then a June entry into the Sierra in a high snow year. Whether it works out for them again this year remains to be seen.

You could:

- Hike some of So Cal in January, February and/or March. That would change your official start date and allow you to enjoy some of So Cal when the weather is nice and the desert is full of wildflowers. That Mojave Desert crossing section is really gorgeous in March with poppies and carpets of goldfields.

- Start your hike in Sierra City or thereabouts and go North. Return to Sierra City and go south. I think this would be the perfect hike. So Cal hiking is great in the Fall. That's when I do a lot of it, being a local.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

based on what i'm reading, these permit limits only correlate to starts from the southern terminus, right? flip flops, even if they are well within the bubble that the pcta is attempting to shrink, are wide open.

like: starting from 100 miles north in the first week of May...you can get a permit without any restrictions.

*...asking for a friend.*

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    NO I really don't see them doing anything like trail days since trail festivals adds to the problem actually I wished the ATC would take a stance much like the PCT has I wished trail days and ALL the kickoffs would be banned and since I am leaving April 10th I will not be going to the PCTKO or any trail festivals I am gong out their to enjoy their wilderness not add to their problems.
    I'm quite certain, and certainly glad, that the PCTA/ATC does not have the authority to ban such events (of course they can withhold any affiliation/sponsorship of event). If a town, or businesses within a town, would like to sponsor said events it is certainly their right to do so.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Amazing - More people starting 3-4th weeks in April as the entire Y2009. May is almost completely open (I started May 8th, and if I did it again, would start even later). Start later, have the trail to yourself until you catch the herd, better early weather.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by frisbeefreek View Post
    Amazing - More people starting 3-4th weeks in April as the entire Y2009. May is almost completely open (I started May 8th, and if I did it again, would start even later). Start later, have the trail to yourself until you catch the herd, better early weather.
    You forgot a couple words...... Until you catch the much reduced herd.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    You forgot a couple words...... Until you catch the much reduced herd.
    I wonder how much attrition there will be in the new age. In 2009 I didn't sense a lot of drop outs - Most everyone I met already had a long trail under their belt and knew exactly what they were getting into. Will it turn into the AT, where 25% of hikers drop at at Neels Gap (or Julian?). Maybe that first really long dry stretch from Rodriguez Tank to Barrel Springs (30'ish mile).

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Wondering if the PCT can support 50 per day, given the different environments how many can the AT support?

Also wondering about 'cheaters', and what actually consists of a start date? Can one drive up the day before, walk a step, go in for resupply and return the next day to continue?
    Three times I've been checked for my PCT Thru-hiking Permit by various LEOs mainly in mid June when in the Yosemite NP vicinbity which is when the Rangers start(used to at least) eneter into the backcountry area.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++