WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Southern Section Hike

I'm hoping to do a 3-4 day section hike in April and am looking for some input. I live in Georgia and don't want to waste too much of my time off driving, but I have done all of the trail in Georgia. Basically, I'd like to go somewhere in NC or TN. I was originally planning for the southern half of GSMNP, but I don't know if the parks drawbacks outweigh the benefits when I could go a little further north or south and avoid Uncle Sam's constraints. What do you folks think?

If you feel like driving I'd do the 40 mile section sobo into Damascus...my personal favorite..great 2.5-3.5day hike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    If you feel like driving I'd do the 40 mile section sobo into Damascus...my personal favorite..great 2.5-3.5day hike
    Thanks for the input Salty. That's about a 6 hour drive for me from here, probably about as far as I'd want to go but that could be an option. Especially if I can rope in some buddies to split gas costs.

Another great section closer is the Standing Indian loop(Franklin)...lil shorter but could extend out to winding stair gap or NOC.

Images

3 to 4 days, lets see.

3 day / 2 night trips

-NOC to Fontana Dam
    -Davenport Gap to Hot Springs
    -Hwy 19 in Roan Mtn to Watauga Lake
    -Watauga Lake to Damascus

4 day / 3 night hikes

-Erwin to Hwy 19 ***This would be my choice as you get Beauty Spot, Unaka Mtn with the spruce forest, Roan, Jane and Round balds and Hump mountain all in one trip.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

What do you guys think about Fontana Dam south just past Wayah Bald?

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonnickp View Post
    What do you guys think about Fontana Dam south just past Wayah Bald?
    I have hiked this section this past year. I hiked everything south of the Smokies.

Heading south, I found the 13 miles out of Fontana incredibly boring. Cheoah Bald (145miles) was awesome. I'd consider camping there. The jump-up offers some pretty cool views. NOC was pretty awesome. Wesser Bald (130 miles) has been my favorite view of the first 166 miles of the AT. Nothing beats it. Rocky Bald side trails offers some pretty cool views. Wayah of course has a cool firetower with a descent view. If you have time, I'd go to WSG (109.8). There is a must see summit at Siler Bald, which is a close second to Wesser Bald in my book. You can also camp there.

I don't know what your mpd are so its tough to give you specific recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I have hiked this section this past year. I hiked everything south of the Smokies.

Heading south, I found the 13 miles out of Fontana incredibly boring. Cheoah Bald (145miles) was awesome. I'd consider camping there. The jump-up offers some pretty cool views. NOC was pretty awesome. Wesser Bald (130 miles) has been my favorite view of the first 166 miles of the AT. Nothing beats it. Rocky Bald side trails offers some pretty cool views. Wayah of course has a cool firetower with a descent view. If you have time, I'd go to WSG (109.8). There is a must see summit at Siler Bald, which is a close second to Wesser Bald in my book. You can also camp there.

I don't know what your mpd are so its tough to give you specific recommendations.
    Agree about the section from NOC to Fontana...did it few weeks ago.....other than cheoah bald and having arse kicked by Jacobs ladder wasn't as scenic as section from Wsg to NOC....

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Agree about the section from NOC to Fontana...did it few weeks ago.....other than cheoah bald and having arse kicked by Jacobs ladder wasn't as scenic as section from Wsg to NOC....

Good to know. I may have to shorten the trip anyways, so I may do WSG to Stecoah Gap.

++ New Posts ++