WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Don't remember where it is but there's a section where the trail has been rerouted but the blazes are still on the trees...long story short...I got to see part of it in both directions.
    I am unable to find any such reroutings at the .gov Shenandoah site; maybe it has been fixed?

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

The last two relos I'm aware of involved the south side of Compton Peak (ND), and the north side of Beagle Gap (SD).

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    I cannot imagine SNP without the following:
    - Beag Meadows Wayside - CHEESEBURGERS!
    -Skyline - BREAKFAST (think it was the berry pancakes?)
    - Elk Wallow Wayside - Berry Shakes!!!

Plus, the 14 bear we saw - which all ran away from us ASAP!
    And, the 6 deer we say - that ignored us and did not move!

Seriously, plan less food than normal. There is also the Lewis Mtn? Wayside, which has showers and very limited resupply. (NOTE: For SNP, we ate barely half the food we packed!)
    I'm doing N to S and I'm trying to find out information about the waysides and restaurants. Are these all right off of the A.T. Or do I need to hit side trails to hit any of these?

Images

Some are just off the trail, others require a short side trail. Often the AT goes wide around the far side of the ridge to avoid the campground/wayside/developed area, and there is a spur trail to the wayside from the AT on each end. This way you can cut over to the wayside, grab a burger, and head back the other side (unless you are a purist about seeing each white blaze, in which case please ignore this).

The AT maps show the waysides pretty well, you can figure it out on the trail.

Big Meadows Wayside (separate from the lodge) had an awesome breakfast, as did Skyland. We spent the night in an historic cabin at Skyland, which was great, though I was less impressed by dinner in the lodge.

Elkwallow had great burgers and shakes. Loft Mountain had a nice breakfast, and the camp store had cold beer.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I'm not sure why but I found the AT a bit difficult to follow right after exiting SNP. I kept encountering red blazes (presumably signifying private property) and backtracked a couple of times. It wasn't more than a few minutes and maybe I wasn't paying enough attention there. The trail nearing 522 is really boring going near open fields with a large fence on the left.
    I did the same exact thing, Coffee. The trail descended and I lost it somewhere in the rocks. Took me about five minutes to find the trail again.

I know this is over a year old, but I'm looking at doing the section from thornton gap - penmar, or rockfish gap - front royal. can't make up my mind.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Important to note:

1) As Big Cranky wrote: Big Meadows Wayside and Big Meadows Lodge are two separate places, about a mile apart. The WAYSIDE actually is visible from Skyline Drive, and the best way for hikers to access it from the AT is to turn walk uphill at the crossing of the Lewis Springs Fire Rd., then turn north (left) for perhaps a quarter mile on Skyline Drive. Unless extremely foggy, you can't miss it. The AT wraps fairly closely around the LODGE, and there are two or three access trails from the AT to the Lodge.

2) In case anyone has an old map or guidebook, there hasn't been any kind of commercial facility at Panorama near Thornton Gap for over a decade. There is still a large parking lot, and at the far eastern end of that is a nice newish restroom facility.

3) The Wayside identified with Loft Mt. is actually about a mile downhill from the AT and the campground/campstore/amphitheatre. It's on Skyline Drive across from the access road to the campground.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Important to note:

3) The Wayside identified with Loft Mt. is actually about a mile downhill from the AT and the campground/campstore/amphitheatre. It's on Skyline Drive across from the access road to the campground.
    Yes, and for me it was well worth the detour. I got there just as they opened for breakfast, and enjoyed eggs, pancakes, and bacon on the porch on a lovely early summer day. I was heading sobo, so I took the side trail down to the wayside, then took the trail from the wayside to the campground and camp store, where you can get back on the AT past the store.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    In my opinion, the best way to do this is to meet a shuttle at the 4-H Center near Front Royal. You can park there for free and relatively safely, but need to fill out a waiver at 4-H's office which is open weekdays, daytime. Get your ride to the south end of SNP at Rockfish Gap and hike NOBO.
    Does the 4-H Center still allow long term parking and is it still relatively safe ??
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++