WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Wanna earn money and carry a 55# pack? Join the Army
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

from her kickstart under 'risks and challenges':

"Dehydration: You risk water sources being dried up."

well the more I think about this I find it to not be a bad thing...Cause if all the AT water sources dry up there wont be any breeding grounds for mosquitoes that carry scary lime diseases, besides I was gonna try to get redbull to sponser my thru-hike cause it gives you wings...

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    There looks to be 42 projects with Appalachian Trail in the name on Kickstarter. 18 were funded successfully with some big dollars. Pretty good odds. Can't blame her for trying. It seems more and more people are looking for a free vacation.
    Just because you can find a sucker, doesn't make it right in my mind.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post

well the more I think about this I find it to not be a bad thing...Cause if all the AT water sources dry up there wont be any breeding grounds for mosquitoes that carry scary lime diseases, besides I was gonna try to get redbull to sponser my thru-hike cause it gives you wings...
    On the down side - the Lime trees will die with no water.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

how much do you think i would need to raise on kickstarter to go to the moon, people with a following who published and created books, movies, documentaries, with there own funds are more likely to get funded second go around because they know what to expect from there experience and product. I was in an outfitter store towards the end of summer with a potential threw hiker out on there first training hike, asking the shop keeper to donate to there thru hike, stating a dollor goes along way. IMHO they had $30 in gimmicky junk they where just buying, trying not to lmfao in the store.

Seems there are a whole lot of 'something for nothing' folks trolling for $ nowadays. Work for it like the rest of us have. Geeze.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I'd rather see the kickstarter pages than the "charity" hikes, climbs and similar where most the funds go to support the vacation rather than the charity itself [1]

Out right asking for money, while something I won't give to random strangers, is at least honest.

[1] Not saying all charity events are like this by any means. I know some honest people who done charity events for a good cause and really do give back. Alas, I've known the opposite as well.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post

Not only that but we won't have to worry about that pesky waterborne virus giardia since there will be no water for it to multiple in. Problem solved!!
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Crap...now I can get scurvy and lime desease from skeeters......what the hell will the black flies of Maine do to you?

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    A grandmother on my Facebook friends list wanted everyone to contribute to her grandson's Kickstarter to fund his AT thru hike. I didn't say anything, but I didn't contribute either. I can't believe people want others to fund their vacation.
    Ditto!........

We have people on street corners that want to Kickstart the day with a beer.
    It is called pan handling, mooching, begging.....
    Sorry but hiking the AT is not a need or a must have. It is a dream.

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ny breakfast View Post
    ... with a potential threw hiker out on there ....
    Anybody know where that old "throw" hiker thread is? That was a good read! Can't seem to find it.

Journal Entries

kickstart/gofundme = cyber panhandling

It amazes me how stupid some people are

Journal Entries

Wow, I usually find WB to be pretty supportive and have had many of my questions answered on these forums.

I think there are a few misunderstandings and misconceptions here. First, kickstarter is not meant to fund medical emergencies or your house burning down; the site was created as a way to fund creative projects. I think a photo book falls into that category.

I get that there are a few issues with the post, but I think she has good intentions to use the money to fund gear and printing costs for the book (not sure about the food, but I got the impression that the kickstarter wasn't for the hike so much as the book).

I couldn't find a couple of the references above, so I wouldn't be too surprised if she is reading this and maybe even learning from you guys. Which to me has been some of what this site it about - learning from each other.

I'm not saying you should fund it if you don't agree with it, but I also don't understand why everyone would be so discouraging to someone who wants to put a creative project together about a place we all love and try to inspire others through the project.

Since WB'ers are being asked for donations, maybe some of the profits should come back into the web site.

Rolls
    Last edited by Rolls Kanardly; 02-07-2015 at 13:40.
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    these folks wantin' other folks to pay for their vacations are a dime-a-dozen nowadays.
    Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    A grandmother on my Facebook friends list wanted everyone to contribute to her grandson's Kickstarter to fund his AT thru hike. I didn't say anything, but I didn't contribute either. I can't believe people want others to fund their vacation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    perhaps she should hard-earn her own money, she'll appreciate the journey more

"What I Want To Spend Your Hard Earned Money On:"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Cougar View Post
    Seems there are a whole lot of 'something for nothing' folks trolling for $ nowadays. Work for it like the rest of us have. Geeze.
    Right on.

Quote Originally Posted by gillian View Post
    Wow, I usually find WB to be pretty supportive and have had many of my questions answered on these forums.

I think there are a few misunderstandings and misconceptions here. First, kickstarter is not meant to fund medical emergencies or your house burning down; the site was created as a way to fund creative projects. I think a photo book falls into that category.

I get that there are a few issues with the post, but I think she has good intentions to use the money to fund gear and printing costs for the book (not sure about the food, but I got the impression that the kickstarter wasn't for the hike so much as the book).

I couldn't find a couple of the references above, so I wouldn't be too surprised if she is reading this and maybe even learning from you guys. Which to me has been some of what this site it about - learning from each other.

I'm not saying you should fund it if you don't agree with it, but I also don't understand why everyone would be so discouraging to someone who wants to put a creative project together about a place we all love and try to inspire others through the project.
    Hmmm, I wrote a book about my Colorado Trail thruhike and was able to do so without begging for funds. If she self-publishes through the company I used, her up-front costs are practically zero.

Journal Entries

Cookerhiker, that's awesome! I just think it would be more helpful to share information like that than to put down what she's trying to do. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    Since WB'ers are being asked for donations, maybe some of the profits should come back into the web site.

Rolls
    To be fair, she didn't ask on WB, we had the fun of dragging her in here.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++