WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Major permit changes for SOBO JMT Thru hikes

Given the dramatic increase in thru hikes on the JMT documented below, I can't say that I blame the wilderness officials for tightening up the process. This will make it significantly more difficult to hike the full JMT southbound from Happy Isles to Whitney Portal, especially for those who do not have reservations. The new rules go into effect for reservations made on Monday, February 2. This means that they are NOT in effect tomorrow - the last day to reserve permits under the looser old permit regime.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/jmtfaq.htm
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries

I think it actually caps the donahue exits at 45/day, same as last yr. So i dont see it as being more difficult. In fact, making all permits reservable may make it easier.

I do believe it was the right move.

Social media has had a large impact.

500 hikers per yr in 1990s to 3500 last yr.

Of course around 900 couldnt finish, which says something. Reminiscent of the GA AT in spring.

It is much more restrictive. Previously, a hiker could exit Donahue on a larger number of entry trailheads including non traditional trailheads like Mono Meadows. No longer. By capping the exit quota at 45, effectively Yosemite has reduced the number of traditional JMT thru hiker permits substantially since the non traditional trailheads are no longer going to be viable entry points. The JMT Yahoo and FB groups are discussing this in detail.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    It is much more restrictive. Previously, a hiker could exit Donahue on a larger number of entry trailheads including non traditional trailheads like Mono Meadows. No longer. By capping the exit quota at 45, effectively Yosemite has reduced the number of traditional JMT thru hiker permits substantially since the non traditional trailheads are no longer going to be viable entry points. The JMT Yahoo and FB groups are discussing this in detail.
    45 per day was essentially what was had in 2014. 45 * 2.6 months= 3500. I dont see any substantial decrease, only changes to guarantee jmt hikers a number of the permits most applicable to jmt, in exchange for not tieing up the other trailheads.

People were only using alternate trailheads because the couldnt get the better permits from the valley due to competition with hikers doing halfdome. They have taken that competition out by allotting a fixed number for jmt. People also wanted in advance permit of some kind. Getting rid of walkup opens up more of that in advance capability.

The only people screwed, are ones that used to count on walking up. Which was probably mostly repeat offenders that knew that was easiest way.

I already got it figured out. No problema. I'll cease opening up my mouth publically as to my future JMT plans. Enjoy your JMT hikes.

I get the goals of the NPS. I figured they would do something like this eventually.

Prior to this change, Yosemite officials claimed that there were days when over a hundred hikers went over Donohue Pass so clearly at peak times way more than 45 were doing JMT hikes (either sections or thrus) from all sorts of trail heads in the park. That's where they have really clamped down. This should even out the usage a bit more. I understand what they are trying to accomplish. I wish they had communicated the changes more clearly and with more notice.

As Dogwood seems to allude to, there are still plenty of ways to hike the JMT after this change...
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Images

If I were doing another "JMT" hike I would add a more cooler little alternate to the beginning. If I could get a permit in the valley I would head up to Merced lake than the High Trail, part of the SHR. The next section goes cross country, easy by SHR standards then looks up with the JMT at Thousand Island Lake. Then continue on to Whitney or even Horseshoe Meadows. this section of the High Route gets up up close and personal with Banner and Ritter.

These restrictions will only impact those that are inexperienced and/or HAVE to go on exactly some predefined route that is no better than dozens of alternatives. Open yourself up to possibilities and constraints go away. If Donahue is the issue use an alternative. In comparison with the other Sierra passes Donahue is nothing special.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Journal Entries

The high sierra is fantastic, but JMT is only part of it.

If i did it again, it would be intentionally with more snow, and crowds wouldnt be much issue.

I dont understand the high number of repeaters really. Theres too many long trails out there to keep doing the same one. That could be said for many trails though.

++ New Posts ++