WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need a 0* down bag recommendation

I'm looking to buy a zero degree down bag.

The budget only allows about $400.

The gift cards from Christmas push me to buy from REI.

So..... Can anyone recommend a zero degree down bag, in the $400 range- that I can get from REI?

many thanks,

4r

I got the Mountain Hardware Phantom 0 degree last year. I tried it in December overnight inside a tent at below 0 with long johns, socks, and hat on a test run.
    I sleep a little cold but it was toasty in that one all night.

I'm a big fan of my Marmot Lithium 0*. It lists around $500 but there are opportunities to catch it on a 20% off sale which would put it right at the top end of your budget, may be a little tougher if you need it right now.

It's light for the insulation you get and oh so warm and comfortable, really feels like crawling into a warm puffy cloud. Anything above 25 degrees or so and I'm quite warm in only underwear. I've pushed it as low as -15 using a liner and heavier sleeping clothes, probably a stretch to say I was toasty warm but I sure wasn't uncomfortable. A few reviews, in particular a video from Outdoor Gear Lab ding it for not having a snap closure on the draft collar but I've had no issues with that. Just cinching the drawstring tight has been enough to block any draft on the coldest of nights. The stuff sack it comes with is a complete joke to stuff into, a size XS is a lot too small for that bag. Something doesn't feel right about using all my body weight to jam a fragile down bag into a stuff sack, but I've since stopped using them and putting it loose in the bottom of my pack so that's no longer a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    I got the Mountain Hardware Phantom 0 degree last year. I tried it in December overnight inside a tent at below 0 with long johns, socks, and hat on a test run.
    I sleep a little cold but it was toasty in that one all night.

The Phantom 0 is an excellent bag. I am 100% satisfied with it, would be a bit over your budget.

thanks for the replies guys!

Anyone else have a recommendation?

there must be more than two choices?

4r

Lots of good options, but you may want to consider used to open your choices a bit. I've had a Feathered Friends Snowbunting for 14 or so years now and it's kept me very comfortable around 0*. Western Mountaineering also makes some great bags. Either of those brands will go above your budget new, but if you dig around...

There's a used Phantom for sale here:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...r-size-RH-zip)

You could always make an offer.

Update - looks like that seller just dropped his Phantom to $425 shipped.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4runner View Post
    thanks for the replies guys!

Anyone else have a recommendation?

there must be more than two choices?

4r
    I've been pretty happy with my Marmot Never Summer 0 - but with your budget you can afford a few ounces lighter weight. It's pretty true to rating. I've had it out down to nearly -10F, wearing a set of fleeces, a balaclava, wool socks and glove liners in it, and resorting to a chemical body warmer when I first got in. I was toasty all night. At that kind of temperature I use an extra blue foam under my regular sleeping pad. The pad is even more important than the bag in winter.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I've been pretty happy with my Marmot Never Summer 0 - but with your budget you can afford a few ounces lighter weight. It's pretty true to rating. I've had it out down to nearly -10F, wearing a set of fleeces, a balaclava, wool socks and glove liners in it, and resorting to a chemical body warmer when I first got in. I was toasty all night. At that kind of temperature I use an extra blue foam under my regular sleeping pad. The pad is even more important than the bag in winter.
    This is exactly what I have. Its a great bag. I have had mine in a tent , foam pad and inflatable down to -20.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

++ New Posts ++