WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default NatureHike Tent (china knock off) what are your thoughts?

I was searching for an inexpensive one man tent and came across this NatureHike Tent. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/1954390950.html It appears to be a Big Agnes knock off. Weighs 3lb, though some reviews have it coming in just under 3lb with the footprint. I am not looking for tent suggestions, but rather the communities opinion of this particular tent seeing that it is a no name china made tent. If someone has actually purchased one of these I would love to hear what you think of it from a first hand experience.
    Naturehike-Ultralight-One-Person-Tent-Camping-Tent-Waterproof-Tent-NH18A095-D2.jpg Naturehike-Ultralight-One-Person-Tent-Camping-Tent-Waterproof-Tent-NH18A095-D2.jpg
    Here are the specs listed.

Colors: Orange(20D Silicon fabric)
    Size:2050mm x950mm +600mm x 1000mm
    Package size: 400x150x150mm
    Net weight: 1400g(do not include the nails and ropes)
    Tent Fly material: 100% polyester fiber
    Inner tent material: B3 high-precision breathable nylon gauze
    Frame material: aluminium alloy

Be the first to review this product! Heck, for 90 bucks and free shipping your not going to loose much if it fails after a dozen uses.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

For extensive pics, see---

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Naturehike-U...-/251536253807

As with all things cheap, you buy 3 times instead of just once. I.E., This tent might last a season, Season 2 you buy another, Season 3 yet another. . . . whereas you buy quality right off the bat and don't need a replacement.

From the eBay pics it looks nifty and water-tight with silnylon etc BUT the taste test has to come inside during a rainstorm with horizontal wind whipped water.

You also mention it having a 20 denier fly? 20 denier floor too? Way too thin for me but then I like to use a tent for 8 or 9 years at around 200 nights a year.

But yeah, I'd go ahead and get it. You can always duct tape the seams and fix the poles.

I bought a $28 Ozark Trail dome tent from Walmart in 1999 and used it on a South Dakota backpacking trip for 10 days and it leaked like a sieve and one storm snapped a pole. It's outside my Circle of Trust.

Tipi,
    your link takes to a different tent.

The one the Op has posted is closer in design to the Nemo Obi 1 than the BA versions.
    The side entry BA tents have a spreader bar at the top to reduce water ingress when the fly is open.

I'll buy the 2 person model and do a review on it.

Not a whole lot of difference and the same Brand name. The top vent is one difference, maybe not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirsnappy09 View Post
    I'll buy the 2 person model and do a review on it.
    I was thinking the same thing, I need a 2-person tent for car & paddle trips, but it doesn't give specs. I gave my 2-person tent to my 4-year old grandson because it was a little short for me and need to replace it with something a little longer.

I'll order it tomorrow and take it out for a weekend as as soon as I get it. I'll just take my tarp as a back up. Can't hurt and if it is decent ,then hey I got another tent for cheap.

Although many good tent companies have their tents made overseas, I would be very wary of knockoffs. A tent can look the same but the thread count may not be the same and cheaper zippers etc. Check out Six Moon Designs, American made, great shelters! Puff Turtle

It looks pretty good for the price. It ain't really a knock off of MSR or BA, different pole design. It takes a long time to get stuff from China.

Images

Buy a USA made tent or tarp. 3+ lbs is not light and it probably won't last long and then you'll be back to square one. The middle of a downpour 20 miles from no where is no place to have a tent failure.

Tipi
    The difference becomes a bit more obvious once you look at the pole structure :
    NH157006_zps012a5673.jpg
    mind you as much as they look very different to me I know that they also probably look very similar to others...

Yeah, I see the difference now. One is an genuine Wedge with two poles in your example and the other has a narrower single pole overhead, though still in the wedge category. Hubs vs no hubs.

Tipi ,
    it is just one of my habits that when someone mentions a tent being a copy of another I have to look and most of the time it isn't.
    However 3F does make some very close copies of some well known designs and soon you will also see some GoLite tents rebadged under different brands coming out from the factory that made the GoLite.

I already own a smd lunar solo , tarptent rainbow and a hex. Just curious and it's cheap. I'm not saying its on par with any thing else or worse than anything else. I will let everyone know though.

I purchased a Naturehike tent just recently, both out of curiosity and for a cheap shelter. I bought this one (http://www.gearbest.com/camping/pp_184912.html). Couple of things.

Weight is 1.24kg seems accurate for tent, fly, and poles. I'll have to weight it for actual weight with bags and stakes. What is cool is that it came with a groundcloth and a fast fly option, that should bring the weight down even more. I'll post pics and some more info this weekend.

This one is similar to the BA Fly Creek UL 2
    Not exactly the same but very close.

Journal Entries
    Images

I just received mine, from the Canadian warehouse. It took roughly 18 days to arrive. It weighs 4.23# on my digital hanging scale, (complete), with the rainfly, poles, 12 stakes, tent, footprint and silnylon cinch sacks for each item. I'm 6'1 & 215# and I almost touch each end while laying flat. I've not tested it on a hike nor in a rain storm, but all the seams appear to be well made and nothing feels terribly cheap. I paid $68.96 for it on the GearBest website. I'm currently using an REI QuarterDome 3 and it's bigger than what I need on a solo hike. It's also almost a pound and half heavier. There's ample head room to sit upright w/o touching the dome of the tent. Two people could fit in it but it'd be really snug. I tried to post pics, but the computer and website aren't cooperating for me.

For the money, I don't feel like I've gotten a bad deal. Time (and rainstorms) will tell though! I did spray it down with the Silicone Water Guard from walmart, for extra measure.
    Captain Vista

NatureHike is a Korean manufacturer of outdoor equipment and their products seem to be generally well-reviewed. I have purchased two NatureHike tents: the one mentioned in the original post, which was promoted as an Ultralight Cycling Tent, and a second one-person backpacking tent called Silent Wing. I was reasonably impressed with construction and quality. I tested both tents several times and both served well through a Canadian prairie thunderstorm. You can read my reviews here and here. I am now considering ordering a two-man tent from the same manufacturer.

++ New Posts ++